Tutorial for making dyes

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

could you do this with satin polycrilic and get a satin finish? Im looking to do a burnt stained red rg550 and was wondering if i could just tint the satin polycrilic and put on a couple coats using only the tinted polycrilic as both a base layer and protective coat. Should i just get some bright red stain and put polycrilic over that? I want the same sort of satin/matte finish like on the jem7bsb, but i want it to be red. Also, with the food coloring, i could make it just the shade i want. Should i just tint some polycrilic red, stain with that, and put some untinted polycrilic over that? Thanks for your help. Neal

No you dont sound like a dumbass. The color wont be exact, but with one can of minwax and 8 bottles of blue, you should be quite satisfied. Quite the valid question. Without staining black, the figure wont be as strong, but for a first, you'll be very pleased.

could you do this with satin polycrilic and get a satin finish? Im looking to do a burnt stained red rg550 and was wondering if i could just tint the satin polycrilic and put on a couple coats using only the tinted polycrilic as both a base layer and protective coat. Should i just get some bright red stain and put polycrilic over that? I want the same sort of satin/matte finish like on the jem7bsb, but i want it to be red. Also, with the food coloring, i could make it just the shade i want. Should i just tint some polycrilic red, stain with that, and put some untinted polycrilic over that? Thanks for your help. Neal

I would assume it would work, but I would use semi gloss (satin) Deft laquer for that.

Sure, but exactly where are you finding black food coloring?

I was thinking of cooking off a vanilla bean and concentrating it.

Professionally I'm a chef,so there's all kinds of wierd industry dyes that I can get my hands on.

Cooking a vanilla bean and reducing it???!!!!

Damn! by then you won't have much liquid left to stain and I doubt that it will become dark enough to colour the guitar properly.

If I were you i'd use squid ink (remember those black colored pastas?)

You can now call this thread: "Chef's-who-wanna-be-luthiers" :D

Cooking a vanilla bean and reducing it???!!!!

Damn! by then you won't have much liquid left to stain and I doubt that it will become dark enough to colour the guitar properly.

If I were you i'd use squid ink (remember those black colored pastas?)

You can now call this thread: "Chef's-who-wanna-be-luthiers"  :D

lol B):D

To cook out the bean you need to soak it for 24 hours first in alcohol then add water and reduce about 1/4.

To burn off the alcohol heat a pan and pour the fluid in away from the heat.The Shock of the liquid hitting the pan will vaporize the alcohol.Let stand open for 24 hours after to evaparate any remaining alcohol,(in a shallow pan).

Vanilla beans are quite potent and can go a great distance.

Squid ink is a good alternative,but would need to be cut due to it's concentration level.

However,today I found black food colouring.It's made by Wilton enterprises

( http://www.wilton.com )They are based out of Illinios.

Their address is Wilton Industries,Inc.

Woodbridge Il

The stock #is 610-981

The sample that I have is a 1oz concentrated paste.So it should extend a ways.I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

After clicking the link you can go to their on-line store.They accept major credit cards.

If the colours don't come up in the list type "Icing Colors" into their search area and click basic set after.You should see "icing colors" in the list on the left.

If anyone wants to try before they buy let me know,(if it's okay with the admins.),and I'll send you a small sample to try.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

bad.jpg

Research all finishing techniques before you decide on using non UV resistant food colouring, which is designed for eating, and temporarily colouring food, rather than the cheaper option of wood and lacquer specific dyes which are designed for woodworker projects and have an extremely long lifespan.

bad.jpg

Research all finishing techniques before you decide on using non UV resistant food colouring, which is designed for eating, and temporarily colouring food, rather than the cheaper option of wood and lacquer specific dyes which are designed for woodworker projects and have an extremely long lifespan.

Say what you will. The colors I did a year ago with regular UV exposure are still the same no fading. So if ya dont know what you are talking about, step down.

bad.jpg

Say what you will. The colors I did a year ago with regular UV exposure are still the same no fading. So if ya dont know what you are talking about, step down.

Yep, and we have had another forum members guitar ruined because of food colouring. Aniline dyes are extremely cheap, use the correct dyes please people.