Different woods

Where are you guys in Canada getting the cheap exotic hardwoods? I can't get decent "African mahogany" (yeeccchh!!!) for that price down here. :D

It's Honduras Mahogany I meant, but I can get it through my work(furniture manufacuter) for about $28CDN a body blank.

I used to work at a boatbuilding shop. The last project I worked on was worth $8,000,000 US, a 65 ft. glass yacht for a gentleman named George F. Baker (billionaire) They say his daily cash flow is something like 10 million. Anyway, no expense was spared and all the woodwork was the straightest grained Honduras mahogany you ever saw. This wood was everywhere on the boat, all the strake rails, hand rails, bumper rails, interior panelling etc. etc. etc. I did a few favors for the head carpenter, helped him with some computer software programs, ie. procurer, and in return he gave me some 2" mahogany planks that they weren't planning to use on the boat. I asked him for some of the gnarliest grain he could find. What were they going to do with all these pieces that weren't going to be used on the boat you might ask??? The carpenter told me it was going to be BURNED! :D , he wasn't joking. I'm glad I got at least some of it, B) . I have enough left to make another half dozen guitars if I plan it right. One piece he gave me was 4" thick X 11" wide X 41" long. I asked him to bandsaw it into 2- 2" planks...can you say BOOKMATCH??? :D

I used to work at a boatbuilding shop. The last project I worked on was worth $8,000,000 US, a 65 ft. glass yacht for a gentleman named George F. Baker (billionaire) They say his daily cash flow is something like 10 million. Anyway, no expense was spared and all the woodwork was the straightest grained Honduras mahogany you ever saw. This wood was everywhere on the boat, all the strake rails, hand rails, bumper rails, interior panelling etc. etc. etc. I did a few favors for the head carpenter, helped him with some computer software programs, ie. procurer, and in return he gave me some 2" mahogany planks that they weren't planning to use on the boat. I asked him for some of the gnarliest grain he could find. What were they going to do with all these pieces that weren't going to be used on the boat you might ask??? The carpenter told me it was going to be BURNED! :D , he wasn't joking. I'm glad I got at least some of it, B) . I have enough left to make another half dozen guitars if I plan it right. One piece he gave me was 4" thick X 11" wide X 41" long. I asked him to bandsaw it into 2- 2" planks...can you say BOOKMATCH??? :D

COOL! :D