Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

Yeah,  but the chassis is short iron if you cut it up. So is the motor. That brings twice as much per pound as "tin", which is what you get if you bring it in whole.

Also. The aluminum brackets, manifolds, aluminum radiator, alternator and starter. All that brings more once separated. 

I work in a recycling shack part time and have for years. I know exactly what is worth what/lb because I buy and sell it. If business is good then it's not worth the effort, but in slow times you do what you can. I'll let you know what it totals out to per truck.

Also, these vehicles are 80s models rather than the modern more lightly built stuff.

Edited by westhemann
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

Posted Images

Happy New Year.

So the recycling shack I've been working at has been struggling ever since Trump's tarrifs were put in place. Yesterday I was informed he wouldn't bd able to use me for a while and if prices don't come back up he may have to close up shop.

Then this morning out of the blue I get a phone call from a guy I work for here and there(but not for almost a year) that he needs me for at least a month straight and probably two or three days/ week thereafter in perpetuity. 

Great timing I say, considering land taxes are due by end of month, I need truck tires, and my motorcycle is almost complete and that bill will soon be due.

So Happy New Year indeed. I've cut up one truck, but now I'll just shuffle all that to the back burner and get back to making money while the metals market tries to recover from Cheeto's meddling.

Looks like I won't have to sell off my Gibsons after all.

Been a while since I posted. Happy New year to everyone.

So, on December 10th I had my back surgery. All went well and going great until day 2 post op. My surgeons did not follow my hematologists orders and did not administer my anticoagulant as directed, meaning they did nothing. I asked about this with no reasonable response. I was released on day 4 post op. Day 5 I was back in  the hospital with 5 blood clots in my legs. Major setback back and totally should not have happened. I have been having more issues arise from this oversight than I can explain. All  can say is I wish this on no one. This is the short version guys as you really don't want to know the details, they are nasty and painful.  I now have about 5 months of rehab in front of me verses 1.5 months. I will get better but this road is the toughest I have ever faced. Age is is not helping.

God Bless and be back soon.

Mike

Since I've been working a bit to pay off taxes and I don't have money to buy materials for my house I switched over again to working on my 64 Chevy... since I have a buuuuunch of available free materials for that.

It's a true Frankenstein. I've actually been referring to it as Frank. You might recall I put the cab on a 76 3/4 ton chassis, but I'm also planning on robbing seats from a Nissan Frontier and a gas tank from a suburban(among other things).

Anyway, I pulled it up and welded the clips I made out, then created a bumper and finished the interior sheet metal.

20190110_161045.jpg

20190113_170034.jpg

20190110_122202.jpg

20190110_121452.jpg

Luckily all my income taxes are current, so that can't happen. Land taxes are what I haven't paid for the year yet, and I still have time. They are County though so I think people are still there.

I wish the Chump in Chief would stop pouting over that wall. Only a very small percentage of complete morons even want such a monstrosity. 

15 hours ago, westhemann said:

Since I've been working a bit to pay off taxes and I don't have money to buy materials for my house I switched over again to working on my 64 Chevy... since I have a buuuuunch of available free materials for that.

It's a true Frankenstein. I've actually been referring to it as Frank. You might recall I put the cab on a 76 3/4 ton chassis, but I'm also planning on robbing seats from a Nissan Frontier and a gas tank from a suburban(among other things).

Anyway, I pulled it up and welded the clips I made out, then created a bumper and finished the interior sheet metal.

20190110_161045.jpg

20190113_170034.jpg

20190110_122202.jpg

20190110_121452.jpg

I've always wanted a truck like that.to handle the next asshole that cuts me off in Houston traffic.

SR

Of course it's also important to make money to fund these weirdo projects.  This is some rails I helped my buddy install in a house in Austin. It's really nice to be working with a friend without some corporate bullshit making everything shitty. I told hom we should really string that upper left rail like a harp. He agreed it was a good idea, but said the customer probably wouldn't buy it.

20190114_121120.jpg

Edited by westhemann

https://www.tarpsnow.com/400-denier-nylon-59-width-x-70-yard-roll.html

Found this interesting material while attempting to find woven metal fabric. This looks superior and less expensive. 

I'm considering constructing a ceiling grid system from this material in black on a 10 foot ceiling. I've seen it done with woven metal fabric and it actually looks pretty great.

As luck would have it, yesterday I was working with my buddy and we had to stop in a different spot than usual for tacos. It was an outdoor area with a large canopy for shading the picnic tables and the tarp material on top of the steel frame was the same material in the link I posted.

Four foot spacing on the supports and one screw every 12" or so and it barely sagged even though it was covered in morning dew.

So that gives me confidence that with my two foot rafter spacing and one screw every 6" clamping down the grid material I should get a sag free ceiling that should last as long as the house.

i cant remember where I saw it-I think Mrs Natch was looking at a house remodel show-and they used a fabric net of sorts-almost reminded me of insect netting for crops- and they tacked it up across ceiling rafters prior to blowing in foam insulation- and it kept the bottomside from bowing out (the foam expanded up not down). for the life of me I cant remember why they did that- or what the material was they were going to use on the inside face of the ceiling. point is I was impressed this material kept the bottom side flat and held back the expanding foam. 

Removed the bad wall today. Hopefully this weekend I can replace the broken tiles and paint that side so it looks less like a wreck.

On another note, I can't believe Harley Davidson is being so poorly run. The new lineup looks pretty bad, and it's topped by an electric motorcycle that looks like a box with a seat, has a terrible riding position(hunched over what would normally be a gas tank, but much larger), tiny wheels, and costs 30k.

Zero motorcycles however have a really nice lineup of electric motorcycles that look like motorcycles,  ride like motorcycles,  and cost around 12k.

20190129_164705.jpg