Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

Posted (edited)

There really isn't that much to it. I work out 7 days a week because that's the only way I can stick to anything, but I divide up the different sections I work out into rotations that vary daily.

For example, Yesterday(Friday) was arms and legs and so I did bicep dumbell curls and tricep dumbell curls(lying on the floor on my back with the lifting arm held stationary by the other arm) followed by leg press on the vertical press I have.

I'm just barely starting out again after years off and I always start super slow so I did a pathetic 30 pounds on bicep curls then went down to 25 for more because the goal isn't to make myself sore or hurt myself it's just to get started and I'm not fat or anything I'm just out of shape.

So, I did two sets of 5 with the 30. So 30x5=150. Followed that with 25#. My workout log is in the pic. The notebook is brand new because obviously it's been so long all my old logs are somewhere I can't find. Try not to make fun of the measly amounts because it always starts pathetic. Tricep curls are much lighter because the position I work out in for that excercise I isolates the tricep way more than bicep curls and bench press and shoulder press also work the triceps so I don't hit that nearly as hard.

So anyway that's my very first arms day in the book. Biceps are 800#total per arm. I don't count both arms because that's just extra writing for no purpose.  Next time arms day comes around I obviously have to beat the 800# total which will be quite easy because I'll just do more lifts with the same weight. As the month progresses the starting weight will increase(for example, 40# 8 reps or whatever) and the workout will become longer as I progress down from 40 to 30 to 25 to 20 and the reps increase. What starts as a 10 minute lifting session at the beginning of the month turns into an hour or more by the end of the month. 

Every day I hit the treadmill for a mile after my lifting session. Sunday is nothing but treadmill but for 10 miles spaced out a mile or more at a time throughout the day.

My goal is more based towards endurance and tone instead of bulk, so there is no limit on how low I can take the weights down or how many reps I can do as long as I beat the previous total weight every time. If bulk is what you were after obviously you would have to increase the weight and lower the reps.

At the 1rst of every month you wipe and start over. At that time you can change the exercises if you wish(substitute squat or a series of cable machine exercises for leg press or whatever) but whatever you choose you stick with all month. Obviously on month 2 you'll start a bit more aggressively than month 1, but don't get too crazy or you'll REALLY  regret it towards the end of that month. Starting over every month is necessary because obviously you can't increase the amount you lift infinitely and if you chose to stick with that insane end of the month regimen it would get stale really quickly. 

Anyway,  that's it. Some people put restrictions on it like never less weight than 50% of your max per exercise,  but I don't because I think that cheats you out of some endurance training.

This month I'll be surprised if I break 200,000# total, but I expect next month will be much more substantial. 

20200411_030402.jpg

Edited by westhemann
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

Posted Images

Also, between every set I write down what I just did because towards the end of the month you'll forget what you just did if you don't write it down immediately. You could just as easily plan it out beforehand and check it off as you go because whatever works is fine.

Do I understand you correctly, does that 200,000# total mean the mass you'll be lifting during a month? Like having a heap of sand in your yard, moving it from one place to another using either a spoon or a shovel?

2 hours ago, westhemann said:

Basically yes, but not like moving a heap of sand because there's no distance involved. 

Hmm... I just moved some firewood from one pile to another with a distance of 2 metres. Half of it included stepping on a stool to reach high enough. So that would count as stair excercise with additional weight? Then I filled the cart with firewood at the backyard, no distance. But it involved a turn of the upper torso. Then some treadmill-equivalent from the door to the back of the wood shed, half of it with extra weight plus crouching. Took about half an hour in total, maybe less. There'll be quite a many footsteps, crouching, reaching etc. until the appr. 15 cubic metres are inside the shed.

When the first cage of 3.5 m3 are inside I can start fetching the logs I've bougth, cutting them with a chainsaw and chopping them with my trusty axe - the latter perhaps being done by my wife, she loves chopping!

11 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Yeah,  that's called daily chores.

I only do it once a year, for a month or so. It seems there's no single word translation for "spontaneous, informal physical activity".

The daily chore is to carry them indoors one bag at a time.

Got my ducks. I only wanted 6, but they offered them up at $1/per to get them out because they're closed tomorrow. They're usually $6/per so I  had to double my order.

I ordered African geese but they won't hatch until the 20th. 2 females and 1 male.

Well Biz, I only build a duck pen once ever probably. However,  since working out is supposed to be more than nust what you do as part of life I don't count any of that as a workout unless it really wears me out. If I went to work and had to install beams overhead or something and it was tough enough to make me feel sick I'd skip a workout,  but otherwise it just wouldn't matter.

20200411_103030.jpg

You got my point, Wes. The firewood show every spring is a healthy burst of excercise for me after sitting all winter at someone's computer. Now that I can't fell the trees any longer since my mother-in-law sold her house and the woods the process takes less time which makes the excercise more effective. It makes a whole lot of difference to get a trailer load on my yard in an hour compared to every second weekend. Plus I get the wood into the outside drying cages much sooner! Plus, and this is a big plus, running 200 yards uphill in light rain trying to shoo mosquitoes by choosing your route under hanging fir sprigs with a 5 foot log under both arms was not too much fun when you had to carry 80 logs to fill the trailer. For some reason it always started raining when the trailer was almost full so we got all wet while tieing the load.

Pretty ducklings there! Reminds me of my childhood when my mom used to get some chicks for Easterfrom the chicken yard she worked for as a classifier - she ranked pretty high until the Japanese took over the market with their bare eyes method.

I got some rather awesome video of the ducklings racing around all happy as shit listening to Staying Alive, but it won't load here unfortunately. Now they are all tuckered out from eating and drinking and being merry.

I'm working under the theory that if I play the radio at low volume their entire life they will become so used to it that moving outside of earshot of it might make them feel like something is wrong, there by possibly keeping them from wandering off.

We'll find out eventually I suppose.

Radio controlled geese? That's ingenious!

That's related to the test where babies were put to sleep near an airfield. Those whose mothers had been exposed to aircraft noise during their pregnancy slept well, the rest woke up crying every time a plane flew by.

I'm sure that given how apt humankind seems to be when it comes to burying its head in the sand, none of this affects anybody until it does. I mean, we've lost musicians, poets, artists, family and friends. Yet it still all seems to be something that is happening to everybody else you know?

"Somebody else will fix it"
"It doesn't mean *I* can't continue as normal"
"I won't get it"
"I won't pass it onto anybody else without knowing I have it"

If only the protein corona on this simple little virus bound to stupid receptors. I mean, that isn't *quite* eugenics is it?

While all of this Corona shit is going on, I am trying to quit smoking. LOL!! I am really bitchy now.

I have gone back to my pipe and it taste like crap. Same tobacco I smoked for 20 years. I have not had a cigarette in 3 days now. Hopefully I will finally quit this damn expensive habit.

I know that putting down my pipe will be so much easier as it is a pain in the butt to smoke and again I really don't like the taste anymore. LOL!!

MK

It can be done, I've closely seen it happen. All it takes is willpower.

My father started smoking at the age of eight (8) since a) cigarettes were almost free and b) smoking lessened his appetite in favour for his soon to be seven siblings - the latter being the reason why grandpa didn't give him a beating! And he quit cold turkey at his mom's funeral after 50+ years of smoking. That was 20+ years ago. My wife quit smoking about the same time, also cold turkey.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

It can be done, I've closely seen it happen. All it takes is willpower.

My father started smoking at the age of eight (8) since a) cigarettes were almost free and b) smoking lessened his appetite in favour for his soon to be seven siblings - the latter being the reason why grandpa didn't give him a beating! And he quit cold turkey at his mom's funeral after 50+ years of smoking. That was 20+ years ago. My wife quit smoking about the same time, also cold turkey.

I get it, I started smoking in 1969. Time for me to quit. Switched to a pipe in 82' went back to cigs in 1999. fuck me I wish I had all those dollars back. I could buy a new truck. LMAO!!!

Good luck with that Mike.

It's crazy how expensive they are now. I never smoked them, but I sold them in while working in a grocery store back in the late 70s and early 80s. I feel like they were $8-$12 a carton, and now they are what? $5 or $6 a pack? More? I think the last time I noticed was around the turn of the century.:D

That's a good enough reason to quit all by itself.

SR

• Like 2
On 4/11/2020 at 11:16 AM, westhemann said:

Got my ducks. I only wanted 6, but they offered them up at $1/per to get them out because they're closed tomorrow. They're usually $6/per so I  had to double my order.

The goat is going to get jealous, or is she in isolation?

A word of advice--be vigilant of possums. A possum killed my ducks when I was a kid, and I've never forgiven them yet.

SR

49 minutes ago, westhemann said:

There will be full time lights and a radio in the duck house anyway. 

What is the theory behind that?

58 minutes ago, westhemann said:

They'll probably get goosed anyway.

A goose does make a great watchdog.

59 minutes ago, westhemann said:

My neighbor had the goats.

The goats are gone? The geese would not like them either. I don't think geese really like anything....

SR