Jump to content

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII


Recommended Posts

The radio and lights should keep the predators wary, at least long enough to let the geese grow big. Possums don't like lights, in my experience. I should probably put an electric fence around it as well.

 The goats have been gone a while. I really wouldn't mind goats, but I think geese are easier to keep in a fence. Maybe.

 I wish there was something really nasty I could put in there. Dogs are effective,  but loud.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Hi All, would like your help if you can please?   Please help my friend Ash and his little boy. Your help in anyway will make a difference. Share it? Donate? Whatever you can do, p

Today and yesterday were super manly. Yesterday my buddy bought an old piece of crap tractor that has been basically shit on for years. The fuel filters were last changed in march of 06, FFS.  So

Posted Images

18 hours ago, westhemann said:

I wish there was something really nasty I could put in there

Geese are nasty enough.

Many of my family had farms when I was growing up. And I been chased out of their pastures by bulls, giant sows and geese. The geese were the scariest and did the most damage by far. Probably because I started running from the bulls and pigs sooner.

SR

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am officially tired of this stay at home crap. After being stuck in this damn house for the past 18+ months with health issues. I can finally walk again somewhat, but I can't go anywhere. I need to do some PT for my hip. That is closed.

Damn this is driving me bat shit crazy. I got in my truck and started it to keep a charge on the battery again. While sitting there I noticed that I have not changed the oil since October 2018. Now mind you it has only 632 miles on it since the last oil change. FUCK ME!!!!!!

MK

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did all this today. Ducklings got too big for the tub they were in so I increased their area by about 400%.

 They don't know what to do with all of it. They're sitting in one end like lumps.

 Sad part is I'm all worried about them. I made it seriously predator proof by putting wire panels in the bottom,  then covering that with solid paving bricks, then covered that with clear roof panels. I patched every hole big enough for even a snake I think, but I'm still worried. 

 Shot a possum this morning with my .357. I'm running a zero tolerance policy on possums and skunks .

20200417_121023.jpg

20200417_121036.jpg

20200417_190755.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, westhemann said:

I did all this today. Ducklings got too big for the tub they were in so I increased their area by about 400%.

 They don't know what to do with all of it. They're sitting in one end like lumps.

 Sad part is I'm all worried about them. I made it seriously predator proof by putting wire panels in the bottom,  then covering that with solid paving bricks, then covered that with clear roof panels. I patched every hole big enough for even a snake I think, but I'm still worried. 

 Shot a possum this morning with my .357. I'm running a zero tolerance policy on possums and skunks .

>snip pics<

Looks great, wish I could be there to help. :) I'm tired of this shit. LOL!!!

mk

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, westhemann said:

I did all this today. Ducklings got too big for the tub they were in so I increased their area by about 400%.

 They don't know what to do with all of it. They're sitting in one end like lumps.

Kids these days. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah,  I know.

 In this particular case though I get their reticence. Full grown ducks can barely defend themselves. Ducklings are just completely helpless. They don't even have the ability to peck.

 They're slowly gaining confidence though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ducks are for eggs. Might kill a couple if they turn out male or if they turn into egg eaters, but if that happens I'll kill them out of sight of the others.

 Geese are for eating. I really don't care what they think.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so you know: When butchering poultry, cutting the head off with an axe is not the best method. The bird may fly away headless, spreading blood all over the place. And it can fly far away! Instead, take the bird under your arm, turn its head 180 degrees and crack the neck with your thumb. Much cleaner!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, westhemann said:

I'm just going to use a slapchop

I must be missing some information here. For what I found a slapchop is for mincing meat that's already dead. I wouldn't use it for taking the life of a goose. Your mileage may wary, though...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Butchery isn't a thing to be spat at. It's the fine art of taking the life of a living creature in a respecting manner, trying to cause as little hassle and pain as humanly possible.

As a boy I visited a medium sized henhouse and the son of the owner just pulled the head off a two-days old chicken taken from the batch to be destroyed. He kept fidgeting for minutes laying on his back. The chicken, that is, not the boy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some of you will look at this and be overjoyed. This is one of many problems folks. The global economy is going to be in the shitter for a while. Yep Gasoline prices are going to be great, but that is not the overall effect. Oil prices are in the negative figures today for most of the world. Even the Saudis are in the low cent range a barrel. It has been around a 100 years since we have seen prices in the cents, now it is negative. Wow!! just Wow, I never thought I would ever see this. I took this screenshot just a short while ago.

mk

oil3.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Bizman, you're talking to Country boys from way back. I know it's real easy to assume only you know what's what about butchering poultry, but considering I grew up with chickens, ducks, pigs, goats, horses, cows, etc and I butchered and cleaned many a chicken, hunted rabbits and squirrels,  cleaned them, cooked them over campfires, ate them, fished every pond in town and cleaned and ate the fish... well, I guess I'm trying to say if you keep talking as if you're talking to a bunch of city boys then you're going to get me irritated,  and I don't want that. Geese are the only bird I have never actually raised and yes, they will be taken proper care of.

 So please, drop that. It irks. I'm certainly not going to waste time proving to you that I am not some dickhead redneck being cruel to my animals. The slapchop joke was an obviously facetious response intended to make it plain that particular conversation was becoming tedious. Thank you for your suggestion. Below is a picture of part of my property.

 Mike. Yeah,  gas has been cheap lately.  I don't know how much is a political game and how much is an effect of what's going on. Trump has a history of releasing reserves to lower fuel pump prices in times of economic slowdown. His China tarrifs hurt the recycling industry and he used the reserves to create an artificial feeling of deeper pockets in the masses.

20200418_114028.jpg

Edited by westhemann
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Bizman, you're talking to Country boys from way back. I know it's real easy to assume only you know what's what about butchering poultry, but considering I grew up with chickens, ducks, pigs, goats, horses, cows, etc and I butchered and cleaned many a chicken, hunted rabbits and squirrels,  cleaned them, cooked them over campfires, ate them, fished every pond in town and cleaned and ate the fish... well, I guess I'm trying to say if you keep talking as if you're talking to a bunch of city boys then you're going to get me irritated,  and I don't want that. Geese are the only bird I have never actually raised and yes, they will be taken proper care of.

 So please, drop that. It irks. I'm certainly not going to waste time proving to you that I am not some dickhead redneck being cruel to my animals. The slapchop joke was an obviously facetious response intended to make it plain that particular conversation was becoming tedious. Thank you for your suggestion. Below is a picture of part of my property.

 Mike. Yeah,  gas has been cheap lately.  I don't know how much is a political game and how much is an effect of what's going on. Trump has a history of releasing reserves to lower fuel pump prices in times of economic slowdown. His China tarrifs hurt the recycling industry and he used the reserves to create an artificial feeling of deeper pockets in the masses.

 

@Wes, I agree about country boys. We have been doing this stuff a long time.

Now as far as oil, This has nothing to do with Trump or other world leaders at this point now. We are way beyond that shit, barring the Russia/Saudi crap that has exacerbated this problem.

This is about supply and demand. There is no demand and the supply has overburdened the storage period world wide.

Had the Oil companies, all of them in the world slowed the production we would not see this as severe as we are. Within days, prices will be back to $20 a barrel. Why because the commodity (Oil) will start over with the new contracts for June, as of today the May contracts expire at midnight. Unfortunately, this too will follow the supply/demand problem.  Due to the Covid-19 which has caused us all to be quarantined world wide there is a very good guarantee of it repeating itself. Again causing no demand and while we have a supply overrun.  This will go up and down for some time to come.

That in turn slows other industries, all the while affecting the markets worldwide. More jobs are becoming scarce and many businesses will fail. Others will try to fill the void at some point, but there is an amount that will never recover. With that, our economy will still be in the dumpster. Many people look at oil as being the all mighty demon, when in fact, oil is needed for so many of the products that we use daily. If the supply chain continues to falter due to no demand or the price is not worth expanding the sector again, then the products made will also suffer. We will either see more recession, possible depression or major inflation. One way or another we need for things to stabilize soon as this is out of any governments control at this point.

Just saying we all are in this together, we need to understand the effects in order to choose the correct path. Being aware is knowledge. Use it to be prepared.

mk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, westhemann said:

Bizman, you're talking to Country boys from way back. I know it's real easy to assume only you know what's what about butchering poultry, but considering I grew up with chickens, ducks, pigs, goats, horses, cows, etc and I butchered and cleaned many a chicken, hunted rabbits and squirrels,  cleaned them, cooked them over campfires, ate them, fished every pond in town and cleaned and ate the fish... well, I guess I'm trying to say if you keep talking as if you're talking to a bunch of city boys then you're going to get me irritated,  and I don't want that.

Sorry, didn't want to irritate you or try to tell you how to raise your birds. I wholeheartedly believe you know what you're doing and the photos of your ducklings show that you're taking good care of them. My comments weren't meant as criticism, in case you feel like that use the language barrier filter. Using a dictionary is only slightly better than using Google translator. The slapchop thing didn't translate well with neither.


 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, is what you call a possum the same as what we have down here? I'm assuming not, based on the fact yours seem to have a fancy for ducklings and ours are nocturnal herbivores that strip the apricots off my fruit trees every spring.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours are called 'opossums', and they are ugly AF, and mean. Yours are cute, upside down and the spin the other direction. Ironically, ours are directly related to the drop bear.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...