Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

Yeah, same here. I'm glad I'm on the outskirts of Zagreb, so I have a house and a backyard, I can't imagine how it was (and probably will be soon again, since the numbers are ramping up) for the people in the center, living in building blocks. Like a hamster in a cage, uhhhh...

At this point I'd love to take an antibody test (had a weird cold back in february) and if it turns out I am immune now, I want a permit to travel and do shit again. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Today and yesterday were super manly. Yesterday my buddy bought an old piece of crap tractor that has been basically shit on for years. The fuel filters were last changed in march of 06, FFS.  So

Hope everyone is ok. My mum is feeling unwell so her and my dad have shut themselves away, I'm not feeling too great either (headachy, throaty, tired but fortunately no fever), but we've been tol

Posted Images

While cleaning the shop I found this. Circa 1978 found today. My wife gave me a full set of Blues harps on our first anniversary. She wanted to keep me playing. I can only think of the great musicians that playing a harp propelled me to meet and work with in the 70s and 80s.

BTW who in the hell plays an A Flat harp? LOL!!!

MK

aflat1.jpg

• Like 1

Hey. Been gone a while. Funny you mention the "tired of this crap", Mike. I cut down 90% of my social networking just because I'm tired of all the fighting about masks and whatnot.

I've been working pretty solid. Seemed like everything was same as always but now it seems we are going back to shutting things down.

Honestly, I'm fine if they want to make face coverings mandatory for a while... however my understanding was the entire shutdown a few months ago was supposed to be so the government and hospital could have time to prepare for an inundation of cases. The virus isn't going anywhere and people have to work and we ALSO need outdoor recreation as a society, so I don't support shutting down businesses. I did the math and .003% fatality rate doesn't equate to shutting everything down.

Masks/face coverings I suppose,  but I remember during H1N1 everyone was making fun of Japan for wearing masks everywhere. 

Regardless of that,I've been building infrastructure for the geese and ducks. Pond, bigger pen, etc. They seem happy, but the geese are mortified when I pick them up and carry them around petting them. I try to carry yhem all here and there though so they're all equally mortified. 

20200627_164042.jpg

20200626_185735.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, westhemann said:

I did the math and .003% fatality rate doesn't equate to shutting everything down

Yes exactly its just yet another way our overlords are stripping away our freedom in the western world. They are making a big deal about this, its like you're allowed to die from car accidents, STD's, cancer, common cold, heart attack.... but you must not die of this disease! I see people walking down the street wearing masks where there's no-one else around, its nuts

Geese....

There's a lake near where I live and it has the usual array of ducks, coots and ibis. But one day this Goose turned up from no-where and it squawks all night and I can't get any sleep! If I see it when I go for a walk I say "hello Goose" (like Jerry saying hello to Numan)

Hmmm, how about no? The problem here is one of statistics and perceptions about this virus. Firstly, it's horrendously transmissible. You can't avoid it like the flu, car accidents or STDs. Those three are pretty much about choice. Heart attacks aren't transmissible, thankfully.

That 0,003% (which is in itself a grossly inaccurate number for several reasons) goes to single and double digits for the elderly and those with underlying heath conditions. Whilst the loud-mouths in their pickups might see a single digit likelihood of symptoms, as a vector they are essentially a walking, burbling cloud-shouting death sentence for those around them. This is not about personal safety, it's about looking after that of the people around us.

The bottom line is that arseholes like Trump and Bolsanaro who are letting the virus run amok amongst the population under the guise of gaslighting, freedom and blame-shifting have a hell of a lot of blood on their hands. Here in Finland, we locked down hard. We're seeing less than ten new cases per day, and it's because we played the game. Maybe not altruistically which would be great, but out of personal safety.

There's a lot of people on here who are in the older age bracket and several with health conditions that put them in risk groups. I fear for their safety, should they encounter some selfish double-digit cloud shouter who won't consider the bigger picture, purely because of freedumb and liburty.

Play the game and look after each other, please. Nothing personal, just illustrating that this isn't a conspiracy or whatever.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) is different from the common cold which creates inconvenience for a few days to a week or more. It is also different from the “ordinary” seasonal flu. The risk of severe and prolonged illness from the flu is greater than for the common cold and has a potential death rate of between 0.001% to 0.003%. Coronavirus symptoms are more severe than the common cold or seasonal flu, and the virus has a reported death rate closer to 3.4% (as of March 4).

Viruses cannot travel on radio waves/mobile networks. COVID-19 is spreading in many countries that do not have 5G mobile networks.

Just so you know.

Currently there are approx. 10 million diagnosed cases in the world with half a million dead. That's roughly 1 in 20 or 5%. In the US this is currently 2,5 million to 125k dead, also 1 in 20. The UK is 312k cases to 44k dead. 1 in 7!

This whole 0,003% thing smells of Fox News and disinfectant.

• Like 1

Actually,  I got my numbers from the actual cdc statistics and did the math based on the census numbers of U.S. population,  but go ahead and "play the game" if you wish.

The .00323 %(to be accurate) is confirmed fatality rates against the population of the U.S. 

I don't care for all the "we don't know the true numbers" talk. While true,  it calls for decisions based on fear.

Make all the stupidly stereotypical bullshit redneck assumptions you wish, but all that is nothing but the fear and gaslighting you're claiming to be against. 

Trump is a moron. Bottom line is tbat everyone in this Country has bills to pay. That $1200 check 2 months ago isn't doing jack shit to pay those bills. Until Finland offers to pay our bills for us, I couldn't care less what they think of our citizenry continuing to work.

Masks, fine. Shutting down everything is not. How about no?

I still don't know a single person who is or was sick, and I know a lot of people. I know that people are and have been sick, but 1/20 is a bullshit falsehood and you know it.

I see. I'm hearing a lot of people confusing this 0,003% number and saying that's the chances of dying from getting it. Equally, it's not the chances of getting it either. It does seem to represent the likelihood of rational decision making from the administration. It doesn't care about you, as long as the economy is running, pouring money into their back pockets. 

I've been reading articles about people who 'recovered' after having it, everything they went through and the permanent damage. It's pretty sobering. Definitely not a flu.

22 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Hmmm, how about no? The problem here is one of statistics and perceptions about this virus

Perhaps I should not have used the 0.003% rate as a platform to put forward my view. What I'm saying is there are numerous other things that people die from that they don't seem to have the same concern about

I mentioned before that I'm asthmatic and its terrible when I catch a cold, so consequently I don't like public places because there's always someone around who's got something. There are medicines that stop you sneezing and having a runny nose, so sometimes you can't tell, and people deny if you enquire

No worries man. I see that number and it just bugs the living crap out of me! Yes, life is dangerous but the largest killers in the world aren't of the contagious sort that can't be cured or lived with. Preventable lifestyle problems or generally things of old age. This is not one of those things. If you could get a heart attack from somebody coughing behind you in the cinema, or have a stroke thanks to somebody sneezing in their hands and wiping it all over door handles....yeah....

I think people would be deeply concerned if cancer or road accidents were transmissible.

Yes it would be really bad if heart-attacks were contagious! and as you said, its about looking after the people around us. I just think if they wanted to they could do more about preventing cancer, heart-attacks, STD's

If someone told you six months ago that they will bring in all these rules you probably would have laughed it off. So I'm inclined to think its not about the virus, its more about making us all good obedient citizens. I just think if the medical industry did their job properly everyone would be illness-free and they'd be without a job

It's certainly not some sort of conspiracy to make people obedient....it's about trying to get people to work together for a common aim rather than everybody running around spreading this virus. Civic responsibility and basic sense, nothing more. Clearly we cannot be trusted to do those basic things.

Whatever you mean by "medical industry", I have no idea. If you're lumping public sector healthcare along with private, UN agencies and non-profits, then you're missing a lot of the picture. Viruses are not going away by pushing a few buttons here and there, making decisions at a board meeting, etc. Illnesses are a fact of life. Nobody is ever perfectly healthy. There is no such thing. They are doing their jobs perfectly well given the constraints of how difficult an immediate response to a pandemic from a previously-unknown virus is, plus the constraints of doing this over multiple geographies and political agendas.

Man, you need to get out more! Or not, I think. Not sure which is the bigger problem 😉

18 hours ago, Crusader said:

I just think if the medical industry did their job properly everyone would be illness-free and they'd be without a job

The scientists predicted this about a decade ago as "disease X". WHO put it on their list of diseases threatening the existence of mankind. Shouldn't there be a system to prevent pandemics happen? There should but there isn't! And why? People are more worried about nukes and wars than viruses, infections and pandemics which is why it's not politically "sexy" to put serious money to medical research or preparations for worldwide diseases. By the laws of democracy the same people elect politicians who promise protection against a human enemy rather than a microscopic enemy. As you said,

18 hours ago, Crusader said:

If someone told you six months ago that they will bring in all these rules you probably would have laughed it off.

How would you react if you were told that in ten to thirty years there'll be a new virus spreading all over the world? Further, how much would worry about it a year or two after having heard it? I know I would have forgotten about it in a couple of years if nothing had happened. I barely remember the swine flu or the bird flu although when I think about them I remember having been somewhat scared and worried. Such behaviour is built in inside the human nature, having protected the mankind from immediate threats like predators by making the brain concentrate on issues at hand - "RUN, NOW!" instead of "oh, don't the stripes hide that tiger nicely into the grass"

On 6/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, westhemann said:

Hey. Been gone a while. Funny you mention the "tired of this crap", Mike. I cut down 90% of my social networking just because I'm tired of all the fighting about masks and whatnot.

I've been working pretty solid. Seemed like everything was same as always but now it seems we are going back to shutting things down.

Honestly, I'm fine if they want to make face coverings mandatory for a while... however my understanding was the entire shutdown a few months ago was supposed to be so the government and hospital could have time to prepare for an inundation of cases. The virus isn't going anywhere and people have to work and we ALSO need outdoor recreation as a society, so I don't support shutting down businesses. I did the math and .003% fatality rate doesn't equate to shutting everything down.

Masks/face coverings I suppose,  but I remember during H1N1 everyone was making fun of Japan for wearing masks everywhere. 

Regardless of that,I've been building infrastructure for the geese and ducks. Pond, bigger pen, etc. They seem happy, but the geese are mortified when I pick them up and carry them around petting them. I try to carry yhem all here and there though so they're all equally mortified. 

20200627_164042.jpg

20200626_185735.jpg

Ducks grow fast don't they?

People that say their kids are growing like a weed ought to toss in a they're growing like a duck for a change of pace.

I've also know a goose or two I'd love to mortify.....but I was scared to death of them at the time.

SR

• Haha 1

The closest analogy I can think of here is an asteroid on a collision course. We know that it's likely in theory, both in likelihood and possible outcomes. How we deal with one when it happens isn't sexy, no. Humans are simply not interested in what might happen, only what's in front of their faces. As such, we're poorly equipped (if at all) to deal with a massive solar flare (goodbye Internet), asteroid strike or viral pandemic. We've been expecting all of these events on some level, however since they're not in our faces, we've done absolutely nothing of substance to prepare for them.

The corporate side of medicine has no requirement or willingness to do anything that does not benefit their shareholders. In that respect, the medical "industry" is failing people in general however it is more accurate to say that the exploitative and unsustainable aspects of capitalism have gotten us here. The machinery outside of private industry is glancingly-small and undersupported in comparison to bloated corporate greed. It isn't correct to say that the corporate turds are not doing their job properly, as they aren't in the business of healthcare or providing a service to humanity's welfare. They are simply in a market to generate profit for their shareholders, nothing more.

Politicians are only in office for a few years at a time on average, and by the same coin their radars, attention-spans and agendas don't work outside of these term limits. Few in power now are doing anything that will be of benefit beyond their job timescale. They have to pander to their electorate, who after all, put them there and want short term promises and goals.

That is literally how stupid and short-term thinking a species that we are.

Hey, has anyone picked up a guitar today? 😄

On 6/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Prostheta said:

It's certainly not some sort of conspiracy to make people obedient....

I'm not out to convince everyone of my thoughts, just saying how it seems to me

On 6/30/2020 at 5:03 PM, Prostheta said:

Man, you need to get out more!

What, and lose guitar-making time? no way!

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Crusader said:

just saying how it seems to me

That's how conspiracy theories start, or at least one way. Intentional fake information is another. Someone publishes something somewhere and someone else recalls having read about it in another situation, not remembering the actual source but thinking it must be from a valid source since he has read it.

Anyhoo, it's surprisingly easy to fool people starting from oneself to believe most anything if there's the slightest chance of it being possible. I've often fooled myself to believe the cheaper version I'd like to buy has all the features written on the description of the more expensive one. I've also told about a rotary dial phone predecessor of Youtube to some American fellow players in an online game but after I noticed they believed every word I said I had to tell that the only truth in my story was that there was a music service available, rotating half a dozen tunes. Being an elderly gentleman from a far away country can be surprisingly convincing.

The photo above could be published in a Finnish newspaper, titled something like "orange beaked goose twitched by the river Kyro near Napue". It's some 500 km from here and the landscapes are very similar to those I've seen there during my once a year trip along the Ostrobotnian rivers. Publishing it on a Finnish twitchers' website as a recent one from there could cause a rush!

On 7/2/2020 at 1:48 AM, Bizman62 said:

....it's surprisingly easy to fool people.......to believe most anything if there's the slightest chance of it being possible

Yes I agree with that, and what comes to my mind is TV advertising....

On 7/2/2020 at 1:48 AM, Bizman62 said:

The photo above could be published in a Finnish newspaper, titled something like "orange beaked goose twitched by the river Kyro near Napue". It's some 500 km from here and the landscapes are very similar to those I've seen there during my once a year trip along the Ostrobotnian rivers. Publishing it on a Finnish twitchers' website as a recent one from there could cause a rush!

Its funny I was looking out the window this morning where there are some deciduous trees and I thought if I took a photo it could be mistaken for somewhere in Europe (Its winter here)

• Like 1

People seem so wound up and liable to believe made-up terms have some sort of meaning, when clearly they're a tissue-thin insult or baseless accusation. Deep State. Radical Left. Fake News. All absolute bullshit terms with no basis in reality. I despise totalitarianism, whether extreme right hatred or overreach trying to redress inequality and underlining it instead. 

Masks aren't a threat to liberty or freedom. They're a necessary step in achieving a common goal so that we all survive to continue that freedom and liberty. I don't recall protests over the blackouts in WW2 England over freedom to shine lights everywhere, whilst German bombers targeted tiki torch protests. Get real. Freedom and liberty are at war with a pandemic, not essential safety equipment. 

Freedom and liberty not to wear safety glasses around a router? Free, dumb and blind!