Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

This is what Pine, MDF and plywood are for. There aren't enough slaps in the world for people who paint wood white.

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Posted Images

So I have procrastinated for quite awhile on replacing the AC unit in the shop./garage. I have fixed it numerous times over the years.

I don't have any heat anymore as the space heaters I had been using began having electrical issues. LOL

Now it is cold and my procrastination mode has turned to Hurry up mode, do something quick dumbass. LOL.

So instead of replacing the old window style AC unit  with a Window type AC/heat unit. I just ordered a split AC/Heat pump unit for the shop. Oh my, this should be fun, maybe?

Hopefully next week I will be back up and not freezing my butt off. :)

MK

The panhandle is currently experiencing an ice storm with probably snow tomorrow too. For them, winter is here big time.

For me not so much. Currently it's 91f, but that will change by tomorrow and drop down to maybe as low as low as 59f at 5am but warm up to the 60s.

Ron

It has been said that Texas is big. It's about 1100 miles from where Ron lives and the northern border in the panhandle....and the panhandle is 3500' higher in elevation. I recall hitting 100f in McAllen one February day, and the panhandle will have a few days that hover around zero degrees F.

But boys, Finland is in the neighborhood of 3000 miles further north of the panhandle. We ain't never going to convince our friends up there that we know what cold is.

:D

'Course, they have no idea what hot is.....

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ScottR said:

It has been said that Texas is big. It's about 1100 miles from where Ron lives and the northern border in the panhandle....and the panhandle is 3500' higher in elevation. I recall hitting 100f in McAllen one February day, and the panhandle will have a few days that hover around zero degrees F.

But boys, Finland is in the neighborhood of 3000 miles further north of the panhandle. We ain't never going to convince our friends up there that we know what cold is.

:D

'Course, they have no idea what hot is.....

SR

Yep and I am 500+ miles or approx 800+ kilometers North of Ron. :)

Our windchill temp here is 1* C today. There is ice and freezing rain about 150 miles West of me.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ScottR said:

It has been said that Texas is big.

Meh, it's only twice the area of Finland... We used to be that big but then the Swedes left us and we got even bigger, fairly twice the size of the USA. But then we sold Alaska and later we got rid of Russia as well. The current size has plenty enough space for all of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I got up this morning to find a possum at the bottom of the pool. Man you would think they could swim and find the step to get out?

Called the city and they came got it out and hauled away. Now I know what the cat was going nuts about last night. :)

MK

• Like 2

We'd been having a discussion "behind the scenes" with Melvyn a few weeks back about the imminent release of the book, however things went quiet. I understand this is not looking good, but yes, Melvyn does have that character of "levity resisting the pull of gravity".

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

We'd been having a discussion "behind the scenes" with Melvyn a few weeks back about the imminent release of the book, however things went quiet. I understand this is not looking good, but yes, Melvyn does have that character of "levity resisting the pull of gravity".

I know Carl, Melvyn is a one of kind person. I know how much he wants to finish the book. I am afraid it may not happen as he planned. He is getting to the point that even a short text message is about all he can muster now. He is putting all of his guitars up for sale as of today.

He has been an inspiration through his books for so many over the years.

Mike.

• Like 1

Man, that's rough. He's given so much inspiration and knowledge to people first hand, second hand and so forth over the years though. The man's got a lot to be proud of having achieved. I really hope he manages to get things into place how he wants them to be. Morphine takes absolutely everything out of you.

• Like 1

I started building in high school after seeing another guy trying to unsuccessfully make a guitar. Not long after building #1, I ran across Melvyn's book. It fired up my imagination as much as the first D&D hardcover books.

• Like 2

Extending furlough pay is one thing, but not supporting businesses isn't enough. Some degree of top down rather than sticking a plaster on bottom up, right? My sister is runs a store in the UK (part, anyway) and employees get a break but the businesses don't. Small businesses are their own employees and need to put food on the table themselves. Seriously, what the actual fuck. It's not like small business owners are greedy corpo scum.

2 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Extending furlough pay is one thing, but not supporting businesses isn't enough. Some degree of top down rather than sticking a plaster on bottom up, right? My sister is runs a store in the UK (part, anyway) and employees get a break but the businesses don't. Small businesses are their own employees and need to put food on the table themselves. Seriously, what the actual fuck. It's not like small business owners are greedy corpo scum.

small businesses have been given a lot of grants and most small business are not paying any business rates at the moment. People who are running small ltd companies are generally employees of the company therefore a good chunk of their salaries can be claimed through furlough but they can still do their managerial duties as shareholder/md etc. Self employed people working as sole traders have been able to claim a large chunk of salary based on their previous tax returns too. Obviously the schemes don't work for everyone, there are those that fell through the cracks, but it's impossible to save every job without doing some kind of universal basic income which most people are against and It's still a much better set of schemes that bailing out the banks like they did in 2009

37 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I see. I hope the intention is good and comes to more than words. Everybody is hurting and everybody needs to put food on the table. I have little confidence in incompetent suckups like bojo.

The schemes I mentioned above are schemes that have been in place since the start of the pandemic, they're not just talk.

Bojo, or Bodge as I call him, is a libertarian, no way he want's to lock the country down but I struggle to understand the rationale some times - The guy has a massive 80 seat majority and can do anything he wants to do as PM but he constantly cow tows to the people that will never vote for him. The guy has a massive open goal in front of him but he keeps turning round to kick the ball at his own net.