Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

This is what Pine, MDF and plywood are for. There aren't enough slaps in the world for people who paint wood white.

Posted Images

Mark of the devil on that digger. John Deere really screw over farmers with their excessive technical circumvention measures to prevent third-party repairs and parts. I'm guessing that something that small doesn't quite have that level of fuckery pre-installed?

I don't know. It's my buddy's. 

I tried to talk him into looking at New Holland and Kubota, but he was really set on that one.

I've always considered John Deere to be overpriced,  but the really old ones are great. The mowers are about the only ones with decently beefy deck pulleys. 

Well that's my take also. The old stuff just goes. John Deere really screwed it up when they prevented farmers from fixing their own gear. I'd hazard that a lot of farmers are better engineers than most engineers because of that. Hell, they need to be....a machine sat broken down whilst the crops are set to rot in the field is your livelihood right in the tank. It's not that different to Apple or Dyson, etc. You don't truly own it unless you can repair and modify it....you're simply licensing that product for use and paying a subscription. Never liked that sort of idea. You're trapped in their ecosystem and being bled year on year. Not cool.

I’m completely dug into Apple, personal and professional. But I also do all my own work. There’s access to enough now to DIY most everything. 

But you are right Carl, it’s not yours unless you can tear it down and rebuild it.

You wouldn't believe how far that sentiment goes with me, @komodo. Since I was a teenager I made guitar pedals from parts recovered out of old TVs and radios. I made explosives to take down this one concrete lamppost in a derelict school over the period of a summer holiday (9wks). I make my own guitars, furniture, connected car audio systems. I'm even considering making my own brass door handles because of the cost of buying the ones I want from the US is prohibitively expensive to ship and import. Being able to craft one's own habitat, take absolute responsibility for it and not be a simple "off the shelf" sort of consumer resonates with me.

Would there be any truth in, "if you didn't make it, it isn't yours"? I think there's a degree of falsehood to that, but for the most part it's pretty descriptive.

• Like 1

Love the lamppost. . .I am unaware of any such activity or operation, nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, sir.

Once, a friend looked at me and asked "have you ever bought a piece of electronics and not modified it?"

Ah, well this was the back end of the 80s when experiments in chemistry were actively encouraged, and sets of toxic chemicals were made specifically for children.

I get you about the modifying electronics thing. I just put together a secondary router, WiFi extender and gigabit ethernet switch using a Raspberry Pi 3. Modifying and repairing is understanding. Coming from a computer sciences and recreational hacking background, I can't treat electronics (or most things) as black boxes; I absolutely feel the need to have a white box approach otherwise I end up getting....twitchy....

On 11/22/2020 at 5:42 AM, westhemann said:

Apparently these days I'm Captain Nobutt.

I'm learning that as my front side is gradually adding downward pressure to my belt, my back side ledge that it normally catches on is slowly disappearing.

End result: pants are falling down.

SR

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, westhemann said:

Tv sucks

It does indeed! Fortunately I've got a pile of unread books here. Plus a bunch of long time friends with whom I can play video games online as a substitute for social life.

Plus of course there's a ton of unwatched guitar building/repairing videos!

23 minutes ago, westhemann said:

None of my old friends play video games,  or at least not the one I play.

Funnily enough, the guys I play with are people I've met through a certain video game. I've known some of them for twenty years. We have had a spring get together for 17 years now, this spring we had to do it online. I guess they're the oldest friends I have, friendships before that haven't lasted.

Everyone my age wants me to play WoW, but I moved away from that type of game when I found Destiny. 

Now I'm only interested in shooters. All I play lately is Destiny 2, but I liked Anthem until all the glitches got to be too much.

Maybe Anthem 2.0 will be good.