Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

On 1/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, Prostheta said:

I learnt many years ago (mostly because, well, kids) that the last word is the one best unspoken.

How much more smoothly the gears would grind if all practiced that.

SR

• Haha 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

This is what Pine, MDF and plywood are for. There aren't enough slaps in the world for people who paint wood white.

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Posted Images

On 1/9/2021 at 6:28 PM, westhemann said:

Actually,  Cadillacs sell themselves. 

I understand what you are saying, but she would most definitely have a few words to say to you about that.

• Haha 1

I know, right? There will be a number of residual double-digiters who continue to believe the conspiracy theories and lies though which is always a worry.  The blatant corruption of the last four years has even undermined the meaning of freedom and liberty. They are ostensibly aspects that require responsibility and integrity, not a right to do exactly as one pleases.

Freedom isn't free
It costs folks like you and me
And if we don't all chip in
We'll never pay that bill
Freedom isn't free
No, there's a hefty fuckin' fee.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?

Unbelievable that one could call Trey Parker prophetic and profound, eh? It's true though. Freedom is a collective experience that is earned; neither gifted nor granted via pardon. I'm hoping that the Biden/Harris administration provides a platform for inspiring and brilliant minds to stand up front and begin to tackle the massive spectres of the world. Pandemics, racist violence from those meant to "serve and protect", the chewing up of the world we absolutely need to sustain ourselves and the damage we've left.

Yeah. I agree. It's time that the qualified, capable and willing adults got back to the table.

The sad part is that the ridiculous people who participated in that ignorance at the Capitol did absolutely nothing but ensure that they are labeled as domestic terrorists and have made sure all of their hate mongering social platforms will be rooted out and destroyed. 

Trying to claim "freedom and Democracy " while attempting to overturn an election is akin to fighting for gun rights by gunning down people who are for gun control. 

Our schools need to refocus on teaching what our system of Democracy actually is so people stop confusing it with mob rule.

I mean,  who thinks the common man will be more free under the thumb of big business? Everyone seems to think they'll someday be wealthy if only the government would lower taxes... yet if they get a $1200/ year raise they spend $1500 extra dollars to celebrate. 

During the week we've got some 8" of snow. As I was scooping what had fallen last night I thought that there might be plenty enough for a snow bath. You know, rolling naked on the snow blanket making the flakes flow... Now I'm not so sure about it any longer as it's drizzling because the temperature has risen to +2 from the -5, or from 23 to 35 if we talk Fahrenheitish.

Yeah, it's turned to slush down here in Varsinais-Suomi. That said, it was a great week for driving sideways with RWD aside from the areas that felt like driving over potato fields. Not sure how to turn the traction control completely off in our car, but "seemingly-off" is pretty useful regardless!

On 10/9/2020 at 10:12 AM, Bizman62 said:

Whew! Nails are much nicer to pull off, especially if they're short and have a large head!

Back when we bought this house the original wooden floor had been covered with linoleum which was laid on 3mm fiberboard which in turns had been nailed down with 1" nails at 20 cm intervals, three or four rows per board width. Half of the nails had a head and came off with the board. The rest were dyckerts, semi-headless... There was barely space to sit between the nail rows, we sat on the living room floor with cutting pliers, throwing bent nails into an enamel bowl... How romantic, just engaged and waiting for getting married in a month!

That’s the type of job that clients and helpers learn Marine Infantry speak.  I cannot stand removing linoleum.  I did one once where it was over wooden floors and then once the linoleum was up, they wanted to save the wood floors.  And we think grain filling is a pain.  Try grain filling ancient wooden floors that haven’t seen any oiling or care in 60 years, then add a zillion nail holes the customer is asking you to make disappear as well.  

of course that’s a change contract charge, but almost not worth the extra coin. 

6 hours ago, Bjorn.LaSanche said:

I cannot stand removing linoleum.  I did one once where it was over wooden floors and then once the linoleum was up, they wanted to save the wood floors.  And we think grain filling is a pain.

Was it glued directly on wood or on a leveling board like ours? The board made removing the bulk easy and fast, the time consuming part was getting the nails off the floor in order to save the sander. Here oiling hasn't been too common, there was a thick layer of oil paint on the floor. The sanding guy with a big belt sander started removing the paint with 16 grit paper, going through the grits. 16 grit! You can't imagine it until you've seen it! Like crushed corn glued on cardboard...

New job, seems like most of my time will be spent running a 5-axis CNC mill. I threw this together in a bit of spare time. Not sure if I need to do a VH1 or a full-on '79 Frankie.

Anybody got a good source they can recommend for Birdseye neck blanks? The UK is not an option now since it decided to isolate itself for no apparent positive reason....

20210125_170503.jpg

VH1 all the way. Love how you used a precision tool to do the haphazard routes.
Pro tip: make another body or two and you can trade for the rest of the parts.

21 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Was it glued directly on wood or on a leveling board like ours? The board made removing the bulk easy and fast, the time consuming part was getting the nails off the floor in order to save the sander. Here oiling hasn't been too common, there was a thick layer of oil paint on the floor. The sanding guy with a big belt sander started removing the paint with 16 grit paper, going through the grits. 16 grit! You can't imagine it until you've seen it! Like crushed corn glued on cardboard...

Yes. Whoever installed it used plywood and nailed that to the floor. With what seemed like a box of nails per sheet.  Then self leveler concrete on that then glued the linoleum to that.  The wood floor under that is typical late 1800s through middle 20th century Texas wood floor construction where it’s not 3”-4” planks but are 2” x 2” x 48” strips of oak.  We had to use oak dowels to plug the majority of the nail holes. (Had to drill most as brain trust linoleum installers used ring shank nails. Initially the owner wanted dowels with flatsawn grain and one we weren’t going to make them but the hardwood store in town does for construction as they supply the historical homes.  Relaying the cost of those the owners said forget it.  Once we responded the floor, leveled the sections from underneath that needed it and res finished it you had to look to find the dowel plugs.  We used a stain that was already dark brown and had the paint store add a small bit of black to it.  The owners wife loved it.  But yeah, I don’t want to do that again if I can help it.  

Now that was something I'd call overkill! Basically similar to our case in terms of the amount of nails per sheet, but we only had to fight 1" nails, the flat headed ones coming off with the fibreboard sheets. No concrete either so removing the linoleum was pretty clean and fast, mainly pushing a spade in between and trying to lift the sheets in one part. As both the linoleum and the fibreboard crack easily there was no issues with splinters and such unlike with plywood.

The thickness of floor planks over there sounds overkill to me. As far as I know we've been using 28 mm planks of various widths forever. Even the mid 1800's farmhouse of a friend, protected by the Finnish Heritage Agency, originally had floors of that thickness. I've heard of thicker ones from people who've built a log house for themselves of wood felled in their own forest and sawn at a nearby sawmill. We're still talking only about 35-40 mm thick. How far away are the supporting rails under floors that thick?

The floor in the house that I am living in/ renovating has t&g pine. Two layers of it with tar paper between the layers. Pretty typical of the time period. Bottom layer diagonal, top layer straight. It had asbestos floor tiles over it.

Most of it I'm going to just clean up and epoxy finish. Not bright and glorious... no grain filling or anything... it will be the "distressed" look that people seem to go for these days.

It's the tile adhesive that sucks to get up.

20210126_052711.jpg

Edited by westhemann
  • Like 1