Jump to content

Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII


Recommended Posts

On 1/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, Prostheta said:

New job, seems like most of my time will be spent running a 5-axis CNC mill. I threw this together in a bit of spare time. Not sure if I need to do a VH1 or a full-on '79 Frankie.

Anybody got a good source they can recommend for Birdseye neck blanks? The UK is not an option now since it decided to isolate itself for no apparent positive reason....

We did it to stop your sort taking our maple 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

This is what Pine, MDF and plywood are for. There aren't enough slaps in the world for people who paint wood white.

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Posted Images

A guy ends up in prison. That night the hulking shadow of the block's top dog pays his cell a visit, curls his arm around his waist and whispers in his ear, "do you want to be mummy or daddy?"
Shaking, but somehow trying to find the least worst outcome the guy responds, "errr, daddy?"
A couple of seconds pass, then, "okay, come here and suck mummy's d**k"

Too strong? Too soon? Not sure if I can find an excuse for that one 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate customer service staff.

I used my credit card the other day. First time I have ever used this one. I needed a new Cpap machine and went to the place to pickup my machine my doctor sent me to. They run my card no problem.

Next day I have over $1000 of charges from ATT, Starbucks, Potbelly restaurant as well as a double dip on the machine? I contact the bank and file the fraud stuff. Now, 3 days later I am still calling ( 4thcall ) to straighten out what they ( the bank ) screwed up the first time and still not sure they understand what is the ONE real charge and that the rest are fraudulent?

Customer Service is in dire need of an overhaul for most companies. My God, this is not rocket science folks?

On top of that I was diagnosed with COPD this week. So I am getting estimates to clean my HVAC duct work and plenum.

These people are dumber than a post. Really you think that I am going to fork over 5k- to 7k to do this? Sorry guys it is 7 air vents and a plenum. Every part is easily accessible to get to. I can replace it all for 3k or less?  WTF do they think I am? I guess being old, crippled and white haired, I am considered STUPID?

Okay off of my Rant Box. Just needed to vent a little. :)

Peace everyone.

mk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Customer service is nonexistent these days for sure. I spent months trying to explain to some guy in India that I needed a meter put back in on a house I had unhooked years ago. He'd put in the work order and I'd get an auto-email from the service contractor requiring an "inspection for new construction service ".

 So I'd call again and explain it isn't new construction and that it was hooked up before. Same service, same company. 

 Over and over and not once did one of the lazy ass service contractor actually drive out to look at the property. I eventually just buried a cable and ran 250 feet of line myself from my other meter.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hah! My ISP is similar: Some 20 years back they dug the TV cable under our street and we joined it. They brought the cable to our wall and screw jointed it to the existing antenna cable. Some years later I found out that an antenna would pay itself with the saved cable TV fees of 8 months so I terminated the cable deal and used the same screw joint for the antenna.

At some point I asked about a faster Internet connection and the answer was to use the TV cable instead of the telephone line. Reconnecting the screw joint and resubscribing to the cable TV would have cost about €600, no matter if I rejointed the cable myself. I'd call that pretty expensive for a two minutes job at the computer.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, ScottR said:

Philosophical question on the nature of women vs. the nature of men vs the nature of women........etc.

Tell me if you've experienced this phenomenon: You're on a road trip to visit family......you may have to check your memory banks a year or so back. You've got your vehicle loaded with the seventeen bags your wife brought and your suitcase. When you arrive does your wife rush in and begin re-united with the family immediately? And the first thing you do is empty the vehicle, because that needs to be gotten out of the way first--and then join in with the catching up of family.?

So....is that the nature of women--to be emotionally driven and everything else be damned, and the nature of men--to be task driven first and the emotional stuff comes later?

Second so.... is it feminine nature----or feminine wiles--getting out of the heavy lifting?

Or are feminine nature and feminine wiles two words for the same damn thing?

SR

No, it is just that she knows there is a sucker sitting next to her.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 5:40 PM, westhemann said:

It's finally over. We can go back to acting like adults now.

 I think everyone knows what I'm talking about. 

Im sure those 75000 who lost their jobs the next morning are having buyers remorse.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2021 at 5:33 AM, westhemann said:

The floor in the house that I am living in/ renovating has t&g pine. Two layers of it with tar paper between the layers. Pretty typical of the time period. Bottom layer diagonal, top layer straight. It had asbestos floor tiles over it.

 Most of it I'm going to just clean up and epoxy finish. Not bright and glorious... no grain filling or anything... it will be the "distressed" look that people seem to go for these days.

 It's the tile adhesive that sucks to get up.

 

20210126_052711.jpg

Jasco makes a product Home Despot and Lowes sell called Floor adhesive remover.  Its about the last good thing Jasco makes since the stupid government stopped all use of methylin chloride.  just because of the name methylin.  Idiots thought this was used to make methamphetamine.  Now you want to chemically strip paint?  hope you have a couple weeks.   Anywayu, the3 stuff comes in a gallon can and works like a dream and only smells for a little bit umtilit evaporates/

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2021 at 12:57 PM, MiKro said:

I hate customer service staff.

I used my credit card the other day. First time I have ever used this one. I needed a new Cpap machine and went to the place to pickup my machine my doctor sent me to. They run my card no problem.

Next day I have over $1000 of charges from ATT, Starbucks, Potbelly restaurant as well as a double dip on the machine? I contact the bank and file the fraud stuff. Now, 3 days later I am still calling ( 4thcall ) to straighten out what they ( the bank ) screwed up the first time and still not sure they understand what is the ONE real charge and that the rest are fraudulent?

Customer Service is in dire need of an overhaul for most companies. My God, this is not rocket science folks?

On top of that I was diagnosed with COPD this week. So I am getting estimates to clean my HVAC duct work and plenum.

These people are dumber than a post. Really you think that I am going to fork over 5k- to 7k to do this? Sorry guys it is 7 air vents and a plenum. Every part is easily accessible to get to. I can replace it all for 3k or less?  WTF do they think I am? I guess being old, crippled and white haired, I am considered STUPID?

Okay off of my Rant Box. Just needed to vent a little. :)

Peace everyone.

mk

There is a tool you can get at home depot where it you dont have two stories, you just connect it to your drill.  its like the fiberglass rod type of cable finshing snakes, but has a nylon scrub bvrush on the end of it.  Companies use the same thing but they also have their vacuum hose attached to it.  get some 17" flex duct and hook that up to a air mover( carpet drying fan) at the plenum and use that tool I just mentioned.  Probably cost you at most $125 for fan duct and that snake thing.  Beats what carpet com-panies charge and they dont even get everything

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-Lint-Wizard-Large-Duct-Dryer-Vent-Cleaning-Kit-60768/315232986?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bjorn.LaSanche said:

There is a tool you can get at home depot where it you dont have two stories, you just connect it to your drill.  its like the fiberglass rod type of cable finshing snakes, but has a nylon scrub bvrush on the end of it.  Companies use the same thing but they also have their vacuum hose attached to it.  get some 17" flex duct and hook that up to a air mover( carpet drying fan) at the plenum and use that tool I just mentioned.  Probably cost you at most $125 for fan duct and that snake thing.  Beats what carpet com-panies charge and they dont even get everything

 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-Lint-Wizard-Large-Duct-Dryer-Vent-Cleaning-Kit-60768/315232986?

I am aware of those. Yes I have a great vacuum as well. My big ass dust collector with a 6" hose moves approx 1800cfm. So I have considered this?

I have looked at the chase to the second story and it needs to be replaced. Cleaning it would be more problems than replacing it. The others can be cleaned. replacing would be easier for me believe it or not and they are accessible. :)
I have figured out how I can get to the plenum and clean it as well. It really is not that bad in the plenum as I have now had a camera in there It was replaced about 6 years ago when a new HVAC unit was installed  :)

So I will most likely  do this myself with the help of a few friends. :) Thanks for the link.

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MiKro said:

I am aware of those. Yes I have a great vacuum as well. My big ass dust collector with a 6" hose moves approx 1800cfm. So I have considered this?

I have looked at the chase to the second story and it needs to be replaced. Cleaning it would be more problems than replacing it. The others can be cleaned. replacing would be easier for me believe it or not and they are accessible. :)
I have figured out how I can get to the plenum and clean it as well. It really is not that bad in the plenum as I have now had a camera in there It was replaced about 6 years ago when a new HVAC unit was installed  :)

So I will most likely  do this myself with the help of a few friends. :) Thanks for the link.

Mike

No problem.  Your vents in t house should have two trunks as you said you have two stories.  One will probably be build into the plenum and the other will be in the attic. With small 6” or 8” flex line coming off those into the room vents.  Super easy if you’re handy and do it now at night.   Buy the stuff during the day. Then wait to start til around 10-11 pm. This way all the days hear will be out of the attic and you won’t burn up.  Because even if cool it gets close to 100 up there during the day.  Also watch out for red hornets. You’re another Texan yes?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bjorn.LaSanche said:

No problem.  Your vents in t house should have two trunks as you said you have two stories.  One will probably be build into the plenum and the other will be in the attic. With small 6” or 8” flex line coming off those into the room vents.  Super easy if you’re handy and do it now at night.   Buy the stuff during the day. Then wait to start til around 10-11 pm. This way all the days hear will be out of the attic and you won’t burn up.  Because even if cool it gets close to 100 up there during the day.  Also watch out for red hornets. You’re another Texan yes?

Yep I am in Dallas. :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was just beginning to think things may get better?

While pouring my coffee this morning I hear a Fox News reporter talking about the Snow in NYC today.

She goes on to make the statement about "The Big Fat Pieces of Snow that are falling"
Really, did she just say that?

OMG we are so doomed.  LOL!!

MK

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Is there a single broadcaster in the US that just "reports the news" ? Even the BBC over here is turning into a platform of opinion 

No, there are many so called News Stations. They all report with bias.

No longer are the days of true reporters that told it like it is and not what they were told to say or think.

mk

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MiKro said:

No, there are many so called News Stations. They all report with bias.

No longer are the days of true reporters that told it like it is and not what they were told to say or think.

mk

At least the likes of fox, msnbc don't pretend to be impartial. We pay a mandatory tv license fee to fund the bbc and they're supposed to be unbiased. So now we're paying for something we can't stand to watch 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites

The news in Finland is excellent. Very dry and objective, or at least it is unless you veer towards tabloid style "we think so you don't have to" media. In general it's high quality and sticks to the facts and nothing else. Even the talking head panels on YLE manage to do this. I understand that people are simply too lazy to absorb dry information that hasn't been soaked through and flavoured with slant. Information that is packaged in a thin veneer of entertainment swallows easily, even if it does go down the wrong way.

Also, Tucker Carlson needs to be pushed out of a moving train. That guy is an absolutely disgusting, vile fount of vitriol, racism and hatred. That style of serial liar has no place in common media.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...