Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

It's amazing there are people who deny the existence of any space program or even the existence of manmade spacefaring craft... and they will tell you all about it while typing on a device that wouldn't work without satellites. 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

Posted Images

14 hours ago, westhemann said:

Moving out here was a really great thing so far. I highly recommend it. 

I hate it when I have to go somewhere. 

20210421_183945.jpg

I'm getting really jealous right about now.....

SR

2 hours ago, westhemann said:

It's amazing there are people who deny the existence of any space program or even the existence of manmade spacefaring craft... and they will tell you all about it while typing on a device that wouldn't work without satellites. 

Cognitive dissonance is something that on the face of it, sounds like it should unravel or dissolve at the slightest whiff of fact. Unfortunately, contradicting somebody's implausible yet deeply-held batshittery also triggers a conflict within their sense of identity and elevates their threat response, ultimately causing them to become mentally entrenched deeper in that selfsame foxhole of batshit. Sort of like being your own personal captor.

Nice weather seems to be international. A few days ago our neighbour wore Speedos, today we got snow. In the Western part of Finland they got some 5 inches of snow in the afternoon, we got only some 1/8" or so.

• Like 1

It's going to bd a few months before I get proper internet here, so I'm considering using that time to get a gaming pc and go back to that platform instead of the new series X.

It's been 10 years though, so I'm waaay out of date on my knowledge of specs.

Hell, it even appears that AMD is making better processors than Intel now. Also looks like HP makes one of the more decent gaming computer platforms for value and easy upgradeability.

I don't even want to think about building my own right now. My buddy stays on top of that shit, but he's spaced out most of the time.

• Like 1

A ready made gaming pc is currently probably the easiest way to get a high end video card for a decent price over there.

I've been hesitant to recommend HP gaming computers as upgradeable based on how they used to whitelist the components in the BIOS, reducing the options to upgrade. There's quite a many threads about not being able to upgrade the video card to a few generations newer model simply because of the upgrade option being for the next up generation only. I don't know if they've stopped limiting your choices recently but they have done that for quite a long time.

AMD seems to give a better bang for the buck in mid-class gaming rigs and the reviews have been good. That said, I've been told that they may suddenly freeze for a second without any visible reason. The issue plagued all sorts of Ryzens from laptops to gamers so it's not model specific. It's been a while since I heard that so the current versions may have got rid of that sort of teething problems.

I've been an Intel guy for the last decade and maybe grown a little dubious over the years. For basic gaming my choice might be something along the line of an i5 over 3.5GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD and an RTX 3060 (the previous 2070 or 1080 would be equally good) plus a reliable power supply. That should run most games pretty well with a 2560x1440 144 Hz monitor.

Even though supply times are looking terrible, I've got in an order for an Intel NUC 11 Enthusiast (Phantom Canyon). The built-in NVidia RTX 2060 will be excellent for my CAD work, however I am guessing that a general chip shortage worldwide thanks to the idiotic demands of crypto mining is putting dates further back on this. My old Skull Canyon 6th gen NUC is having some real fan issues....

I've been going back and forth. So many choices.

I like the alienware line and have had good luck with Dell in the past, but they are only upgradeable to a certain pont because of the way they design their towers.

However,  they generally last long enough that by the time you can't upgrade any more any system would be obsolete. 

• Like 1

Are laptops suitable for gaming these days? The Alienware laptops have impressive specs and HDMI 2.1 ports to run a separate screen, but has cooling been improved enough to enable heavy gaming sessions?

25 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Are laptops suitable for gaming these days? The Alienware laptops have impressive specs and HDMI 2.1 ports to run a separate screen, but has cooling been improved enough to enable heavy gaming sessions?

I would  not trust one, but that is my opinion. LOL My last one was supposed to be a GAMING laptop. It never was as good as my desktop.

mk

The better gaming laptops are good. For how long, is another question. If you plan to get a new one every third or fourth year, then yes. I've got a friend who uses a laptop with a bigger monitor at home, at the cottage in Lapland some 1000 km away he only uses the laptop and a joystick. For what I've experienced the 4th gen i5 and i7 top processors from 2014 along with a GTX980 or 1080 from the same era are still mostly sufficient with current games.

After more research into the performance characteristics of each little piece available it appears the AMD stacked Alienware Aurora is hard to beat.

I mean,  to keep it affordable I need to skimp on the RAM and not get the absolute latest processor(Ryzen 7 5800x is about as crazy as I can get) and the AMD graphics card is plenty powerful.

Back in "the day", you'd just get a really roomy tower and the latest processor on a good motherboard and upgrade everything else as you could and that would make sure you had a relevant system for a pretty long while. The latest processor is just too high right now.

It's actually pretty amazing what Microsoft has acieved with the series X, but after the XboneX debacle where I spent $600 and got a constantly overheating and sluggish mess that I spent 2 years trying to keep cool before giving up and going back to my S I just don't trust them to cool their consoles properly. 

Not to mention the poor roll out. And I refuse to go back to Playstation because their controller is terrible ergonomically. 

1 hour ago, westhemann said:

The latest processor is just too high right now.

It still seems a valid argument that the best processor is not the best bang for the buck. For example the Intel i5-11600K plays most games as well as the i9-11900K for less than half the price. Even the i3-10100 should perform well for less than €100. Look for the most GPU/CPU intensive games listings to get an idea what the novelties really require.

Used 4th gen. Intel i5-4670 or even i5-6600 equipped motherboards with 16 GB RAM are widely available here for about €150 or even less. Add to that an SSD, a case, a good quality power supply and a GTX980 or 1070 and you'll have a serious gamer for about 500. I built a friend a system based on such a mobo system and he managed to get a used GTX 1080 to it for 250. Runs PUBG and CSGO at 144 FPS on a 1440p screen with ease. I've got an i7-4790 which I got as a full system with a GTX970 for 300. Another friend had an abandoned GTX980 which I bought for 140 (was a steal, really) and as I was able to sell the 970 the total cost has been moderate.

• Like 1

If it weren't for the fact that there isn't an AMD equivalent NUC, I wouldn't bother with Intel these days. They are literally releasing chips that are only catching up to AMD's previous generation now. The main issue is finding a GPU, and that leaves me with either a professional card like a Quadro (ten times the RTX equivalent's cost) or buying integrated, which the GPU miners aren't hoarding.

I'm really looking to run Destiny 2 at 4k with 60fps eventually or there is no point in going pc over the series X. I also want to upgrade in the future and I want to run Cyberpunk as well because the pc version is supposed to be much less buggy.

That is interesting,  but 3 years old. The current AMD cards perform much better than the ones in that article. 

I hope to get away from D2 soon. I don't really like the  Bungie mindset lately. Too much grind and it feels unrewarding lately. It's still a fun shooter, but I keep hoping something will replace it as my "go to game".

Anthem was such a kick in the teeth. So close to being great and yet so many issues they just wouldn't fix... and now they're abandoning the promised "Anthem 2.0".

Parents neighbours had some barn doors they'd taken out and offered them free, so I took this week off work, ebayed the garage door and built a wall. Got somewhere to build my spray booth and fitted an explosion proof extractor which the garage door payed for, would have been nice if the door payed for the whole project but the price of lumber is insane at the moment. I'll be getting some insulation and dry wall up on pay pay. 

IMG_0154.thumb.jpg.b34908be59c8e889a0fdbfe2b6d5f3d6.jpg

IMG_0195.thumb.jpg.a0a7858d8875720a97565a6fd4ce9e1a.jpg

IMG_0212.thumb.jpg.c9de4897040907fa904eb420a4e11562.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Parents neighbours had some barn doors they'd taken out and offered them free, so I took this week off work, ebayed the garage door and built a wall. Got somewhere to build my spray booth and fitted an explosion proof extractor which the garage door payed for, would have been nice if the door payed for the whole project but the price of lumber is insane at the moment. I'll be getting some insulation and dry wall up on pay pay. 

IMG_0212.thumb.jpg.c9de4897040907fa904eb420a4e11562.jpg

Yep that is what I would like to do but the city ordinance won't let me. Looking real good. Having that extra wall will help. More vertical storage.

I am currently adding a 5 ft wall floor to ceiling in a corner for that purpose. Adding shelves for more storage.  While only 5ft x 7ft high that is still 35sgft surface area on one side. Since there is already an outside wall that this is 5 ft away this will effectively be giving me 105 square surface ft to work with to add shelves on.

MK

3 minutes ago, MiKro said:

Yep that is what I would like to do but the city ordinance won't let me. Looking real good. Having that extra wall will help. More vertical storage.

I am currently adding a 5 ft wall floor to ceiling in a corner for that purpose. Adding shelves for more storage. LOL

MK

Yeah I was concerned about planning permission, I haven't applied for any. But the doors are wide enough to get a car in so in theory there is no change of use here. I wonder if you might be able to get away with it on the same grounds? 

• Like 1

Those barn doors look really nice and the extra wall looks like it has originally been planned to be that way! Very nice!

Thinking about what I've done in my house without asking for any permission... Back then a friend who is an architect told that building a toilet and shower upstairs could be in theory considered as "no change of use" since both are standard parts of a building meant for humans to live in. When I bought this house there was a 50 litres hot water boiler in the downstairs toilet serving the handbasin and the kitchen sink. The only place to wash oneself was in the backyard sauna where a cast iron cauldron was masoned over a fireplace. Note that there's no heating in my sauna other than the stove so it's cold when not in use. Not a place I would like to wash babies during a diaper change when it's -25 C outside!

• Like 1