Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

8 hours ago, westhemann said:

That is interesting,  but 3 years old. The current AMD cards perform much better than the ones in that article. 

Most likely yes. But that gives some reference about the requirements. Another thing I would have liked in that article is to use a stock CPU instead an overclocked one. Or even better, compare both stock and OC'd to see if the processor speed made any difference.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

Posted Images

You'd think processor speed would be very important. This video supports that indirectly,  although it is focused on correcting another idea.

Honestly,  when I research and compare components I look mostly at the speed. It surprised me that the Ryzen 5 was comparable in speed to the i9 and also comparable to the Ryzen 7 and is much less expensive than either.

I also am assuming I could install a second Radeon 5600xt at a later date and link them like you can with Nvidia, but I don't know that for sure.

Also, I ran across a discussion about how pc gaming is (according to console users) so much more of a pita because of constantly updating drivers, etc...

That seems like a false statement to me because every single game you buy for Xbox has a patch that downloads with it and there are constant updates which induce bugs every single time that take other patches to squash.

When I was gaming on pc downloading drivers was easy. It would tell you what you needed and you would just find it and download.

Just now, westhemann said:

I also am assuming I could install a second Radeon 5600xt at a later date and link them like you can with Nvidia, but I don't know that for sure.

SLI is Nvidia's way to connect two cards, Crossfire makes the same on AMD. For what I've learned they don't double the performance and won't usually be worth the pay. They have their uses, though, in extreme situations described in https://techguided.com/sli-vs-crossfire-is-it-worth-it/ .

Just now, westhemann said:

pc gaming is (according to console users) so much more of a pita

It has also been said that PC gaming is the king. Also, PC versions of games are usually cheaper, they can be adjusted to suit your hardware etc. And PC's can be upgraded part by part. Generic spare parts are cheaper than dedicated brand parts...

With that logic one could claim that riding a bicycle is a pita compared to running. If you know how to, riding a bicycle easy. If you can't, it's a pita.

Yeah.  I mean,  I've been wanting to switch back to pc for a while because consoles have been a huge problem for me since I started playing pvp.

From overheating causing frame rate drop to cache errors and latency causing a delay in what I see vs what the enemy sees it's just been luck of the draw with how well the match goes. D2 is fast paced and a build up of those issues constantly results in dying to what appears to be fewer shots than the weapons require and the enemy not being where my screen says they are.

Yeah, with consoles you can't improve their cooling like you can pretty easily do on a PC. And heat is your enemy, always.

The small wall I am adding. I willjcut the corner of the sheet rock for now for the 220 line on the ceiling  I will relocate the 220 line another time into the ceiling.

This will give me more shelf space inside that enclosed area when done.

Yes the shop is still a disaster. LOL

MK

wall4.jpg

On 4/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, Bizman62 said:

Those barn doors look really nice and the extra wall looks like it has originally been planned to be that way! Very nice!

Thinking about what I've done in my house without asking for any permission... Back then a friend who is an architect told that building a toilet and shower upstairs could be in theory considered as "no change of use" since both are standard parts of a building meant for humans to live in. When I bought this house there was a 50 litres hot water boiler in the downstairs toilet serving the handbasin and the kitchen sink. The only place to wash oneself was in the backyard sauna where a cast iron cauldron was masoned over a fireplace. Note that there's no heating in my sauna other than the stove so it's cold when not in use. Not a place I would like to wash babies during a diaper change when it's -25 C outside!

Thanks Biz, after spending a couple of hours traipsing around DIY shops, I managed to find a colour that's a close ish to match the extractor and got a coat on before work this morning. Expecting rain for the rest of the week so just needed to get them weather proof. Needs another coat and then I'll paint the wall too but that's lower priority as it's all treated timber. 

586692298_ScreenShot2021-04-27at09_50_47.thumb.png.1ede9583723bbcaada0257b7d9bf3193.png

I don't know what the definition is in Finland but over hear Change of use refers to things like turning a garage into a habitable space like a bedroom, or if I was running a business from my garage, e.g. a luthiers workshop, I might have to apply for a change of use, but that would likely only occur if someone had complained about what I was doing. Maybe making too much noise, or covering their car in lacquer.. something I'm hoping to avoid. I'm not currently running a business and I kept 1 door that is wide enough to fit a car in so that I could argue that it is still technically a garage if it came to it. 

For things like fitting a new toilet and shower in a room that wasn't originally a bathroom, I wouldn't need to apply for planning permission but would need building regs approval - which is essentially ensure that the building work is up to UK standards. Same with a loft conversion - I wouldn't need planning unless I was making alterations to the outside of the property like installing Dormer windows but I would need building regs, they just come and do a couple of periodical inspections to make sure the floor can take the weight of an extra level, insulation is thick enough etc and that fire retardant materials are used. So I wouldn't be able to line my walls in my house with ply like I have in the garage. Not that I would, have you guys seen the price of ply wood lately! I was paying £35 per sheet of sheathing ply to clad my workshop walls. 

3 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

I don't know what the definition is in Finland but over hear Change of use refers to things like turning a garage into a habitable space like a bedroom, or if I was running a business from my garage, e.g. a luthiers workshop,

For what I've understood it's similar here. A building regs approval might have sufficed but I just didn't want to test my luck! All the plumbing and electrickery was done by professionals so it's safe. Oh, and I also built a loft conversion... I guess after 25+ years the crime is outdated. - I almost typed 'hear' as you're my role model in spelling.

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

For what I've understood it's similar here. A building regs approval might have sufficed but I just didn't want to test my luck! All the plumbing and electrickery was done by professionals so it's safe. Oh, and I also built a loft conversion... I guess after 25+ years the crime is outdated. - I almost typed 'hear' as you're my role model in spelling.

I wouldn't use a dyslexic as your spelling role model. 

• Haha 1
Just now, Bizman62 said:

U're doing wel enuff fer me.

it's less about slang or pour spelling as it is abuot getting you're wovels mixed up or sometimes you don't no which homophone to use. it affects me when speaking too, I'll often fail to decide which word to use on the fly and end up combining two words to make up a new word out loud. I'm sure I've done it while waffling in my youtube videos. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

it's less about slang or pour spelling as it is abuot getting you're wovels mixed up or sometimes you don't no which homophone to use. it affects me when speaking too, I'll often fail to decide which word to use on the fly and end up combining two words to make up a new word out loud. I'm sure I've done it while waffling in my youtube videos. 

I do this when I'm driving. Once I screamed "asspunk" at a driver and immediately started laughing because I had zero idea where that word came from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

"Ass wanker" is one of my wife's faves.

Perserunkkari? I've heard that somewhere, maybe from my elder daughter. Luckily not referring to me, though...

You don't say! Quite sometime back I was thinking about the abbreviation of the word meaning a person having the Oedipus complex and wondered if there was a similar abbreviation in the German language. Lo and behold, Google told me that there indeed is. Languages are living creatures!

unbelievable the prices on materials now. A 4x8x3/8" sheet of BC sanded ply was a year and half  ago about $17 now about $45.

I found some 4x8x3/8" luan sheets today for $25 a sheet and felt lucky.

2x4 studs are now ranging from $7 to $10 a piece. up from say $1.79 to $4.25. This is insane and the home building growth in the DFW area is going strong?

Peace everyone,

mk

38 minutes ago, westhemann said:

China trade war raised prices on everything. 

That and Covid so say the sellers. Man it is crazy.

I will say this the luan is marked as made in Vietnam. Not China. Well who really knows?

mk

I looked in on Miss Banty this morning and she hatched a duck. Very fine specimen. 

By noon another had come. Just a few minutes ago a 3rd.

She's a hell of a sitter. I was able to hand feed her while she sits and she let me pick up a baby... for a few seconds. She requested him/her back and I complied because I don't want to lose her trust.

I'm building a special pen for them because the chicken tractor won't do because ducks aren't as agile as chicks. I buried the chicken wire a foot down and I'm making a 16 foot by four foot predator resistant pen with a completely predator proof overnight coop.

And yes. That's a big old chicken turd. She's been in there a while.

20210429_165810.jpg

• Like 3