Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

She hatched 3 others overnight. That's six duck eggs out of six.

She laid 4 of her own while brooding,  so apparently she thinks she can sit 10. Her 4 were unfertilized (no rooster) and she's a bit put out that I removed those 4 this morning. She doesn't know they won't ever hatch.

Next time I'll give her 10 duck eggs or maybe some goose eggs.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

So it's official. Busy times ahead.

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

Posted Images

So, you've got names for your chickens LOL. All the chickens around here have too. The Landlord's daughter made sure I remember them all too. Fluffy, Dizzy, Whizzie, Lady Jane...."Hammer" - she's a Polish, and there's about a dozen more

Here's a little story - I used to know a girl named Mandy and apparently I'm always talking about her and she's become a "banned" topic. So one time the little girl named a new chicken "Amanda" and I said "Hey is it okay if I abbreviate her name to 'Mandy' and she scowled at me, raised her finger and goes "You're pushing it"

• Like 1

Not really "names" as much as what they get called. Banty is a banty so she gets called banty.

The male duck is Drake because he's a drake. I have a duck with a limp I call limpy, the smallest is little duck. The biggest female is super fluffy and round and makes piggy noiseswhen she finds food so I call her Little Miss Fat Pig.

The geese do have names, but I rarely use them. Goosetavo, Gertrude, and Lucy Goosey.

That reminds me of our summer hen who got their names according to their personality. I'm not even trying to translate them, some were pretty onomatopoetic.

3 hours ago, Crusader said:

I used to know a girl named Mandy and apparently I'm always talking about her and she's become a "banned" topic.

Need more information to fill the holes in my imagination. :nanananananananananaPIRATE:

• Haha 1

Had to change things up a bit. Banty doesn't understand how to get them to eat and I do. Chicks can scratch and forage as soon as they are dry from the egg. Ducks can't. I don't know what mama ducks do in the wild, but I know if you take grower crumbles and mix them with water you can wipe the mush on the underside of the tip of their bills and they instinctively lick it off. After that you can merely let them eat it off your fingers until you can make them understand it's on a dish or whatever after that you can just plop it on the ground and that gets them used to digging in the ground for food.

Banty thinks she can just pantomime scratching behavior and they will imitate. It's causing heartburn and to compound matters she kept them at the far end of the pen where I can't reach and tried to put them into a nest she made on the ground overnight instead of going in the coop so I could lock the door.

Last night I had to drench her with the hose and herd her with it to the other end where I could catch her. I dried her off with a towel and put her into the little carrier coop and let her cluck until the babies came close and I could put them in with her.

So this morning she has new temporary housing where I can make sure the ducklings are properly fed and watered. She thinks this is a power play and keeps striking at me, but she doesn't really intend damage and my hands are Ironworker hands so it doesn't hurt and I don't flinch so she gives up once she sees I'm feeding them.

The ducklings love me, but they love her more and I keep assuring her I won't take her babies away, but she's dubious. 

20210501_073955.jpg

• Like 1

Good work. She's clearly a clueless mall duck rather than a consummate parent, so she clearly needs you to pick up the slack. Easier than loving goats, eh?

After many hours moving crap around again, I can now get to my table saw. This week I can hopefully finish up the new storage area with shelves and put a few things away. Then the process will repeat for another area. LOL

MK

9 hours ago, MiKro said:

put a few things away. Then the process will repeat for another area.

Hopefully that 'another area' isn't the one where you've already put a few things away...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, MiKro said:

After many hours moving crap around again, I can now get to my table saw. This week I can hopefully finish up the new storage area with shelves and put a few things away. Then the process will repeat for another area. LOL

MK

I'm in a similar situation here, I bring in a load of sheet materials to do a job in the garage and that's a whole area of the garage and a load of tools that's now inaccessible. I did manage to get it tidy before having the garage door out but it's back to chaos again. All going in the right direction though 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Hopefully that 'another area' isn't the one where you've already put a few things away...

Nope just moved all of the crap there to make the new storage. Then will move the crap again to make more storage all while hopefully trashing a certain amount of the crap as it moves around and around and around. LOL!!!

These ducklings have way more personality than the ones I got from TSC. I'm wondering if incubated masses of eggs aren't just terribly inbred or something ?

We had some rain. It's going to make the pond a bit more difficult. That's 3 feet up to about 8 feet of water.

20210502_093633.jpg

20210502_093214.jpg

• Like 1

Well my wife the other day kept driving the car when the serpentine belt broke. OMG did it ever overheat. Luck has it though, it did not harm the engine? Not sure how she managed it but with electric steering pump no way to tell if the belt broke unless one tends to watch the gauges. Ha, my wife watching a gauge, I am kidding my self with her. LOL.

Replaced the water pump as that is what went out, it also took out the thermostat and the idler pulleys. Man I dreaded the job. Really easy on this though about 1-1/2" hours so It appears to be fixed now. Getting an engine light for the throttle sensor though. I am hoping it just got a lot of moisture in it and that set it off?  Will give it a few miles to reset then go from there.

MK

pumpoff.jpg

Those serpentine belts are great, but in my experience every car needs to be equipped with a male voice that says "pull over, turn the car off, and call your husband Ma'am!" when things go bad.

I know, I know... sexist... but you all know it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Those serpentine belts are great, but in my experience every car needs to be equipped with a male voice that says "pull over, turn the car off, and call your husband Ma'am!" when things go bad.

I know, I know... sexist... but you all know it.

I agree 100% LOL!!!

The serpentine in mine concerns me since the motor is an interference type; once it runs out of sync you end up with bent stuff, requiring a rebuild. If I'm thinking right, the motor didn't used to be that way, but hey.

Happy Monday everyone.

• Haha 1

Usually the timing belt is inside the front casing of the motor and completely separate from the serpentine belt. It's also much thicker.

I still don't like timing belts because I think chains are better, but on an overhead cam the chain would be so long as to cause rattle.

• Like 1

Happy Mondays, well Monday evenings for me is Bible Study and sometimes I think its just a meeting for 4 grumpy old men LOL

I have a question for everyone, have any of heard of these bands....

Recently I have been re-discovering "Steeleye Span" - a favourite band from the 70's and looking them up on Youtube. Some of their songs are all vocals so that reminded me of "The Pentatonix".....then I noticed in the suggestions there's a band called "Pentangle" And I thought "what a coincidence" (funny how things like that happen)

So has anyone heard of Steeleye Span, Pentatonix and Pentangle?

I've been listening to Pentangle over the past few days and I really like them

Btw, engineering interference into the engine is usually just an attempt at greater torque throughout the engine's rpm band through using a smaller combustion chamber and flat pistons.

Used to be, the combustion chamber was large and pistons were dished from the factory, and power enthusiasts would deck the blocks, mill the heads, put in a cam with more lift,  etc and create Interference where there was none. Now it's a matter of course for efficiency. 

• Like 2