Misc Stuff about Life. Part XII

3 minutes ago, Drak said:

On a different topic... @MiKro post about the GOTM got me curious as I hadn't looked at it in a long time. I saw that on average, there's about 20 votes a month, sometimes more, sometimes less. And, on average, there's about 6-8 entries, who I'm going to guess all vote for themselves. That leaves, on an average, about 12-14 'free' votes to determine the winner. And that's not counting any possible buddyism, cronyism, or undue favoritism, shown towards, or possibly against, a certain member for whatever reasons. More numbers would tend to even things out and remove any number-skewering via lessening of potential associations not related to the pure quality of the build itself.

But with vote numbers that small, I can't remotely imagine an actual fair and impartial outcome. I also realize from a marketing/advertising standpoint, its good for the forum to have one, as its a beneficial advertising agent, Therefore, the GOTM, for me, is sort of an invalidated contest to take seriously. I'm not disparaging it or complaining or fighting the status-quo, it is what it is. But I can't really take it seriously enough to think of entering it.

Not with the time, dedication, attention, and effort I put into my work, to throw it up to such a teeter-totter outcome as it exists.

If I finished something and its strung and done, it has already survived countless dozens of threats, by me, and made it through to be a Winner.

Why would I then subject something that I know has already won many battles to such a precarious process?

It makes no sense to me, it does nothing for my ego, I have nothing to gain by someone else certifying something I already know to be true.

I understand, That is why I put the old Jag style Bass up. It is over 10 years old and has never won. Not that it is important. It is more to keep things even if that makes sense as it is a nice working rig. LOL!!!

Be safe Drak,

MK

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How much of an awesome dude is Mike Ve  sent me a couple of lovely one piece curly tops all the way from Arizona. I've already put one of them to use on my upcoming SG2000 build. In other news, I've f

Again a few newcomers in the GOTM. The last one is first post. Also that guitar is for sale now on other media. Interesting how people want the GOTM so as to use it for more gain and acknowledgement t

Greetings from Opatija, Croatia. I decided to quit my job and change companies in hope I find people with better work ethics. Few months ago I couldn't imagine quitting cause I love the folks I work w

Posted Images

Also, I am not above showing favoritism myself, so I'd be just as guilty as anyone else if I bothered to cast a vote. Anyone who in my view was not a regular forum member, would never get my vote. Because I believe at heart, that's what it was supposed to be about anyway. A contest amongst the forum regulars, who participate regularly on some level, even if it was years ago, if they were a regular, good to go.

I left the forum myself for several years, and in those years I built guitars. But I never once thought 'Oh, I'll enter this guitar over at PG'. That would seem completely phony-ass to me. I never once thought about entering a guitar while I was not a regular participating member. I did make a post (late 2018) of four guitars I had finished, but I never thought to enter them in a GOTM contest here as I wasn't a regular participating member anymore. It was more 'Hey, check this out, this is what I've been up to'. Not garnering for accolades or an ego boost, which I think is what some are doing, which is 'muddying the waters'. So I simply choose not to take a drink of those seemingly now-muddied waters.

• Like 1

If you chose to vote in GOTM I believe you also get the ability to click on the results after your vote is cast and see which members voted for which entry.

6-8 entries on average is probably a little optimistic. If you go back through the last couple of years it's closer to 4-6.

Voting for your own entry shouldn't be considered a bad thing. If you were a member of a council or participating as a candidate in a local government, state or federal election of course you'd vote for yourself. But as @Bizman62 has indicated that's not always the case here, and members will vote for whichever guitar they believe is the best one on the ballot, even if it's not their own entry.

'Visiting' members submitting an entry have historically scored low votes even if their instrument appeared to be much better, so the odds tend to be stacked against them anyway. Inevitably their submissions come with no build thread on the forums or will include a link to an external website. I think voting members here recognise the fly in/fly out nature of their entry and will steer their vote towards an entry from a member that has demonstrated contributing history to the forums instead.

I don't believe there's any favouritism evident in the voting. It's a small competition with a small number of ballots cast each month, and in combination with the voting patterns of our members when an 'outsider' entry gets submitted it's easy to have monthly competitions that go in a seemingly obvious direction. Sometimes a regular voter just likes the work that a particular builder does and votes for their entries regardless. There's no crime in being a fan of a particular builder's output.

• Like 3

Just personally, I would find it both incredulous and funny as hell to not vote for your own entry, but to each their own.

I ran the statistics for myself, I'm happy with the additional information Curtis, thanks for that, tho I still see it (for myself) as I called it.

It needs far more votes to be what I would consider 'fair', that's just statistics talking.

Presently, the vote counts are infinitesimally small, and so easily swayed this way or that for innumerable reasons.

So I choose to not participate, (I don't even look at it TBH) no one need worry further than that, more votes for your builds!

• Like 1

I have in the past voted for others than my own. I add the bass at times so as not to have a clear one entry victory as has happened before. I also believe that one needs to be here for a while (25-50 minimum valid posts) and contribute to the masses before they can enter.  Also they should have a build thread here. I have others I could enter but no pictures any more since the big data crash. Not sure if any of the build threads survived as well?

That is just my opinion though. :)

MK

58 minutes ago, Drak said:

I ran the statistics for myself, I'm happy with the additional information Curtis, thanks for that, tho I still see it (for myself) as I called it.

I just went back through the poll entries to June 2019 - I see maximum entries of 6 and a minimum of 2, so even my estimate of 4-6 is a bit high.

51 minutes ago, Drak said:

Presently, the vote counts are infinitesimally small, and so easily swayed this way or that for innumerable reasons.

Yes, the obvious way to alleviate the situation is not to have more entries, but to have more members add their votes to the entries we already get.

Don't get too hung up on the details and stats though. GOTM is just a bit of fun every month.

• Like 3

On another subject: The Vaccine?

Almost everyone I know has now had it except myself. My doctors advised against it until now. What with possible blood clotting problems and other issues with it and also myself. Now I must find a hospital setting though to get it from, that being the doctors view?

That is becoming a challenge in itself, as the hospitals do not seem to do this in the DFW metroplex or Texas that I have found so far. I need to be somewhere that is poised for a complete emergency as my allergic reactions to meds is way out of whack. When they stopped making the name brand Coumadin and I had to go to generics, I have had problems. We have tried the newer stuff like Eliquis, but due to astronomical pricing and also having reactions to those meds, It is hit and miss.

So I stay away from people best I can.

mk

• Like 1
1 hour ago, curtisa said:

Don't get too hung up on the details and stats though. GOTM is just a bit of fun every month.

I couldn't be more in agreement with you, 1000%.

I don't take it seriously, was just stating an opinion, as long as its still free to do that kind of thing 😇.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MiKro said:

On another subject: The Vaccine?

My opinion is that one has to have one's own mind control very well-in-hand these days.

If you don't run your life, and make your decisions, and your policies that suit your life the best for you...

There is just too much information out there now that will sweep in and fill up all the open gaps for you and make your life a living hell.

I remembered getting several shots in school as a kid, so I had no problem with it, I came out fine, that's the logic I used.

So yes, I'm vaccinated, never felt a thing.

AAMOF, I had open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) about 1.5 years ago, last February.

I should have died last February it was such a close call, I was within two weeks of being out of time, permanently.

And so when I had the visit with the heart surgeon, I looked that man, point blank, dead-stare, straight up in his eyeballs,

And I made the decision for myself, right then and there, that day, at that moment, he was 'The Man for The Job'.

I had utter 100% confidence in him and from then on, not a single worry the entire time, not 5 seconds of worry or anxiety did I ever have.

But I'm kinda like that anyway, fuck the torpedoes, just ram the throttle forward, hold on,  and we'll see how it shakes out.

And it was a complete success and he completely hit it out of the park like I knew he would, that's why I never worried about it.

And 1.5 years out, I'm on no meds, nothing except a daily vitamin. It's done and over, life is back to normal.

I have intuition, and I know it, and I use it, all the time. My intuition guides me all the time to usually successful outcomes.

Fear, worry, and anxiety 'clog up' the messages coming in from the intuition, I have No time or patience for that BS.

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Drak said:

My opinion is that one has to have one's own mind control very well-in-hand these days.

If you don't run your life, and make your decisions, and your policies that suit your life the best for you...

There is just too much information out there now that will sweep in and fill up all the open gaps for you and make your life a living hell.

I remembered getting several shots in school as a kid, so I had no problem with it, I came out fine, that's the logic I used.

So yes, I'm vaccinated, never felt a thing.

AAMOF, I had open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) about 1.5 years ago, last February.

I should have died last February it was such a close call, I was within two weeks of being out of time, permanently.

And so when I had the visit with the heart surgeon, I looked that man, point blank, dead-stare, straight up in his eyeballs,

And I made the decision for myself, right then and there, that day, at that moment, he was 'The Man for The Job'.

I had utter 100% confidence in him and from then on, not a single worry the entire time, not 5 seconds of worry or anxiety did I ever have.

But I'm kinda like that anyway, fuck the torpedoes, just ram the throttle forward, hold on,  and we'll see how it shakes out.

And it was a complete success and he completely hit it out of the park like I knew he would, that's why I never worried about it.

And 1.5 years out, I'm on no meds, nothing except a daily vitamin. It's done and over, life is back to normal.

I have intuition, and I know it, and I use it, all the time. My intuition guides me all the time to usually successful outcomes.

Fear, worry, and anxiety 'clog up' the messages coming in from the intuition, I have No time or patience for that BS.

Oh I agree 100% Drak, I am the same way. I know from my past history that I will most likely have a problem and the last thing I want is some dumb ass out in a parking lot making a decision as far as what to do.

No thank you, I want a professional to be immediently available to hopefully save my old ass. :)

MK

• Like 1

Talking about keeping away from other people, I've basically been living in Lockdown for decades but still get caught out from time to time. When I catch something I go through hell but for some people its just annoying and they don't do anything to prevent passing it on

On another topic going back a bit. What is KETO? In this area there is a suburb called Kenwick and there is a shop called KETO which I always thought meant KEnwick Take Out. They are probably taking advantage of a dual meaning but what does KETO mean?

20 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Talking about keeping away from other people, I've basically been living in Lockdown for decades but still get caught out from time to time. When I catch something I go through hell but for some people its just annoying and they don't do anything to prevent passing it on

On another topic going back a bit. What is KETO? In this area there is a suburb called Kenwick and there is a shop called KETO which I always thought meant KEnwick Take Out. They are probably taking advantage of a dual meaning but what does KETO mean?

It was derived from this. Ketoacidosis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoacidosis

15 hours ago, westhemann said:

In the long run it's a terrible idea. An actual healthy diet and exercise is greatly preferred. 

Buttie buns with Vegemite, chocolate biscuits and ice-cream with the occasional walk around the park!

Edited by Crusader
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, Crusader said:

chocolate biscuits and ice-cream

WTF? I have never in my LIFE heard of a chocolate biscuit. Why did my mammy or sissy never serve a chocolate biscuit in the house? Off to Google...

(After 2 minutes of Google) Wow, A chocolate biscuit!

"My eyes adored you, Though I never laid a hand on you, My eyes adored you
Like a million miles away from me You couldn't see how I adored you
So close, so close and yet so far"

Ingredients

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
  • 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder start with 2 and add more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup chilled butter salted
  • 2/3 cup milk

Chocolate Biscuits - A Dash of Sanity

• Haha 1

I want to make a burnt Pine body guitar.

Its bugging the shit out of me and I must do it.

For some reason I have really fallen for that look, and must have one.

The more burnt, the better...within tasteful boundaries, of course.

Gaaaaaaaah!

Been watching too many Shou Sugi Ban YT's, I think.

Burned Guitar Bodies | Telecaster guitar, Telecaster, It is finished

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, westhemann said:

Biscuits have gravy. Cookies have chocolate. 

Oh Man that is funny as hell. 

Surely though, someone of these youngsters will make what they think is a chocolate gravy. LOL

Better known to us as a ganache or maybe a syrup. ;)

mk