Guitar template design

What program do you guys like to use to draw out your designs? I would love to get to grips with something where I could do full scale, realistic looking models of possible future creations! Maybe something where I could superimpose the photos of the woods I am using on to the designs. I believe Sketch Up is good? I’m pretty computer savvy although something that doesn’t have an insane learning curve would be cool. Cheers!

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

I use photoshop... not because it is a great tool, but because I have learned it over the years in other capacities.  Gimp is a good free version of it.  I should really get to know gimp as my ps is outdated and is just a limited version I got ages ago.  Gimp seems to have all the same functionality, but a different gui.

I take pictures of my actual wood and have built a folder of them.  Its nice to be able to play with the images and decide the orientation of said wood.  Still learning new things there, and def a challenge to make the finished build live up to the drawing but:MySG.thumb.jpg.2024e35b69dda2f97ba59c1c8aae8b36.jpg

• Like 1

Inkscape is a pretty cool vector drawing package - and is completely free. You can use a path as a mask on embedded bitmaps for mock-ups. It's a bit of a learning curve, as any vector-based drawing package will be. However if you've ever used something like CorelDRAW! you'll be right at home

I've used it to design all sorts of templates, logos & inlays

https://inkscape.org/en/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, mistermikev said:

I use photoshop... not because it is a great tool, but because I have learned it over the years in other capacities.  Gimp is a good free version of it.  I should really get to know gimp as my ps is outdated and is just a limited version I got ages ago.  Gimp seems to have all the same functionality, but a different gui.

I take pictures of my actual wood and have built a folder of them.  Its nice to be able to play with the images and decide the orientation of said wood.  Still learning new things there, and def a challenge to make the finished build live up to the drawing but:MySG.thumb.jpg.2024e35b69dda2f97ba59c1c8aae8b36.jpg

Looks a bit BC Rich'y...except classier ;)

On 8/29/2018 at 12:27 PM, Norris said:

Inkscape is a pretty cool vector drawing package - and is completely free. You can use a path as a mask on embedded bitmaps for mock-ups. It's a bit of a learning curve, as any vector-based drawing package will be. However if you've ever used something like CorelDRAW! you'll be right at home

I've used it to design all sorts of templates, logos & inlays

https://inkscape.org/en/

Cheers, will check it out :)