Pocket Template

daveq

I ran across this topic while searching for info on neck finishing : Pocket Template

I personally have not had any problems with using it without using tape (the stewmac template). I used to make my own pocket templates but I prefer using the stewmac template now.

Is the issue of the tape mainly for using existing necks on a new body? The reason I don't have issues is that I make my own necks and the extra .040" is accounted for by making the neck a bit bigger and sanding it down until it fits into the pocket (plus a bit for finish). It's worked for all (about 9) of the necks that I have built.

I have tried using the tape several times and it keeps comming off during routing and that is a really bad thing. So what I am wondering is how many people struggle with the whole tape thing when building their own necks?

i've always made my own templates, i make the necks the same size, and just sand down any finish in the pocket and the neck ever so slightly till it fits properly

a bearing spinning at 20 000 rpm + any kind of tape just isn't a good solution IMO, if the template isn't the right size to begin with then don't use it, or just go crazy and build up the finish on the walls of the pocket, but that's not a very accurate way of doing it.

just my 2 (canadian) cents

if the template isn't the right size to begin with then don't use it, or just go crazy and build up the finish on the walls of the pocket, but that's not a very accurate way of doing it.

No, that's not the case. In fact that's really what this topic is about. The necks that I make are made for that template. Therefore, the template is not too big. I was just wondering how many people who also make their own necks are spending too much time trying to downsize the template when it isn't neccessary.

Now, for people who are trying to fit existing pre-made necks into these pockets, I'm guessing that's where the issue comes in.