Polyurathane is Awesome!!!......new paint pics.

BeAR

new%20paint%201.jpg

new%20paint%202.jpg

I bought another Strat last week. I started life as a Red and Black 89-90 Japanese reissue. Looked absolutely discusting.

It was in poor condition, rusted strings, crud all the way up the fretboard 1mm thick.

I stripped it down to the last screw. Ive ordered an aged plastic kit from Fender, new Fender/Fender vintage nickel saddles to replace the rusted out originals. I got the trem plate stripped and re chromed (cost $5). New pots and switch and thats it for parts.

I asked around a few friends of mine that have painted a car or two in their time and managed to get the use of one of their spray booths after work hours. (Cost a case of beer).

The finish was the easiest I have ever done. I rubbed back the original paint with 600 grit wet/dry paper to take off the shine.

Once every blemish was gone and there was no gloss left i made a hanger for the guitar from 20mm plastic electrical conduit.

Wiped the body down with thinners to remove fingerprints.

My friend supplied and mixed the paint and clear for me.

2 coats of colour, 2 hours apart.

3 coats of clear 1 hour apart.

Straight over the old finish as a base coat, painted in one night!!!!!!!!!

The pics dont do it justice. The finish looks great with only 2 blemishes in the surface and a small amount of orange peel. Its been hanging in the corner if the paint oven for the last 2 days. Its ROCK hard!

Ill leave it another day or so and then block back the front and back with 2000 grit wet/dry. Polish and re assemble.

My mate said that if someone else brought him this to paint prepped and ready to go the cost would be around $70 AU for him to supply materials and paint. If you weren't fussy the finish straight from the gun would still pass for a top job without rubbing it back.

Beats the hell out of buying $30 worh of spray cans and material, only to have to wait weeks for acrylic paint to cure/rub back/polish.

And nothing is as tough as polyurathane car paint.

Great stuff, although I dont have the patience to follow your application method.

I only had one night to use the spray booth, so I couldnt wait and rub down between coats. Still should look nice when its finished.

Im now convinced that Im addicted to tinkering with guitars...............................................my name is Gary and its been 38 minutes since I last used a screwdriver on a guitar. Im so ashamed. :D

Great stuff, although I dont have the patience to follow your application method.

I only had one night to use the spray booth, so I couldnt wait and rub down between coats. Still should look nice when its finished.

Im now convinced that Im addicted to tinkering with guitars...............................................my name is Gary and its been 38 minutes since I last used a screwdriver on a guitar. Im so ashamed. B)

hahaha gary....... your not alone...... :D