The Wahlgaard II project.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

wow, you are a mop warrior.  Nice work.

Aint it just! Its so beautifully crisp! Ive been looking online recently for CNC machines, you can get kits that can do routes for inlays etc for not too much outlay at all, problem is you have to assemble them yourself and learn how to sort out the software/programming; its a whole other skillset.

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

11 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Aint it just! Its so beautifully crisp! Ive been looking online recently for CNC machines, you can get kits that can do routes for inlays etc for not too much outlay at all, problem is you have to assemble them yourself and learn how to sort out the software/programming; its a whole other skillset.

I've often thought about this.  I'm a programmer and have had some experience with cad a long time ago... so I would guess I might have a leg up afa figuring that out... perhaps not.  Either way I dunno... if I was going that route I'd want to be able to cut guitars... and since I likely won't ever repeat the sm guitar twice... seems like I'd just be substituting router time with cad design time.  I suspect there wouldn't be a 1:1 ratio either.  Obviously there are some things you can't do by hand that you can do on a router, and the precision is def not possible... but the up front investment in time/money... I'm not sure it really makes sense for someone just making one-offs.  all this would apply to inlay and anything else you might do with it.  def on the 'someday' list for me. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

I've often thought about this.  I'm a programmer and have had some experience with cad a long time ago... so I would guess I might have a leg up afa figuring that out... perhaps not.  Either way I dunno... if I was going that route I'd want to be able to cut guitars... and since I likely won't ever repeat the sm guitar twice... seems like I'd just be substituting router time with cad design time.  I suspect there wouldn't be a 1:1 ratio either.  Obviously there are some things you can't do by hand that you can do on a router, and the precision is def not possible... but the up front investment in time/money... I'm not sure it really makes sense for someone just making one-offs.  all this would apply to inlay and anything else you might do with it.  def on the 'someday' list for me. 

CNC is a skill in itself from what I have seen. I follow 'Highline Guitars' on youtube and its obvious that its not as simple as putting a guitar template in to the machine and pressing go...the guy certainly knows his stuff. I think occasionally inconsistencies can equate to a certain kind of beauty? I suppose its a bit like painting a landscape as apposed to taking a beautiful photograph of it...a different skill and aesthetic. 

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

55 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

CNC is a skill in itself from what I have seen. I follow 'Highline Guitars' on youtube and its obvious that its not as simple as putting a guitar template in to the machine and pressing go...the guy certainly knows his stuff. I think occasionally inconsistencies can equate to a certain kind of beauty? I suppose its a bit like painting a landscape as apposed to taking a beautiful photograph of it...a different skill and aesthetic. 

at the end of the day as long as your own style comes thru I'm not sure it matters how you do it. 

• Like 1

btw @Dmitry Sushkov sorry for hijacking your thread.  Your builds are amazing and your mop work is out of this world.  when you said before that you did that sig by hand... you mean you routed it by hand?  how in the world did you do that?  I'm just curious for my own understanding... did you use a number of templates or do you really mean 'by hand'?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

you mean you routed it by hand?

Yes, first one was routed by hands. I was used FreeCad for body curved top modelling, then moved to Fusion360 with some errors which locked me from projecting the sign to surface. Second guitar is modelled in Fusion360 from scratch.

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

did you use a number of templates or do you really mean 'by hand'?

I mean by hand. Glued a printed sign to surface, cut lines with a sharp knife and routed with a 0.6 mm router bit and mini Dremel.

6 hours ago, mistermikev said:

I'm a programmer

me to

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dmitry Sushkov said:

Thank you!

Yes, first one was routed by hands. I was used FreeCad for body curved top modelling, then moved to Fusion360 with some errors which locked me from projecting the sign to surface. Second guitar is modelled in Fusion360 from scratch.

I mean by hand. Glued a printed sign to surface, cut lines with a sharp knife and routed with a 0.6 mm router bit and mini Dremel.

me to

wow... I need to improve a lot in that area.  I tip my hat to you. 

I say programmer but really I just save the world from badly formatted data... rearranging strings... a code monkey if you will! 

12 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

True, sorry I’m not sure why I posted that to be honest, it’s an awesome looking guitar!

There are no wrong answers.