Build #2 - The Osprey

ZekeB

I like the way this is going Zeke. I like to round the edged of my control cover and cavity a bit as well. It helps even out the look of the seam between the two and Sharp edges are too easy to sand through when leveling finish.

do you think the cover standing proud like that might make it more susceptible to catching on your belt buckle when playing?

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

I like the way this is going Zeke. I like to round the edged of my control cover and cavity a bit as well. It helps even out the look of the seam between the two and Sharp edges are too easy to sand through when leveling finish.

do you think the cover standing proud like that might make it more susceptible to catching on your belt buckle when playing?

SR

Thanks Scott.  It for sure might catch.  I have a lot of meat to carve with on that cover to play with.  I'll end up bringing it in but I wanted to play around the idea of incorporating somehow.  Maybe rounding the edges so its like a spherical piece nestled in the cavity or something.  I'm not sure yet.  I've been sketching on my notepad all day playing around with it.

What really hit home on yours was how it became part of the shape.  I really like that. Or how bizman made his cover part of that shape inspired from crimson.  I feel it's a missed opportunity just to call it a cover and be done with it. 

Whatever it becomes it for sure needs to functional first, then fit the theme.  Oh, and I found out magnets lose magnetism when heated up.  Never knew that!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ZekeB said:

Oh, and I found out magnets lose magnetism when heated up.  Never knew that!

Neodymium magnets do, I'm not sure about others.I read that on the literature that came with my first order of them. Have you actually tested that and found it to be true?

Crazy how strong those little dudes are, isn't it? I'll bet I've had half a dozen break from leaping back to the roll of magnets they came in and hitting so hard they shatter.

SR

Yes I had to change the position and hit them with a soldering gun to loosen the glue.  I noticed when I had them both in my hand they didnt fly to each other.  They lost everything.  Crazy

Their so strong I can put one on one side of my finger and the other on the other side.  Great magic trick for my kiddo lol

12 hours ago, ZekeB said:

I use another magnet.  It seems to be a strong bond. 

That's what I was worrying about, the strong bond. But apparently not too strong.

And... So it was the polarity issue you had to remove them? :-) I was thinking about attaching the magnets to the cover first, then let the body magnets bond with them and use the cover as a gluing handle. That would eliminate the polarity issue.

20 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I've had the cover magnets pull the body magnets out, if I don't have a thin layer of CA over the surface of the magnet.

I glue the body magnets in first, then test the polarity of the cover magnets one at a time just before adding glue.

SR

That's similar to what I did.  I tried to mix some wood dust to camouflage them as well with epoxy but that doesn't work too well against the shiny surface of the magnet.  I think next time I'll use a small dowel or make a veneer cover.  That way it looks cool too.... though no one will see it

So I've always liked the semihemispherical fret look.  I did an ok job on the last one but i feel I finally am on the right track.  I experimented quite a while on different techniques and finally found one that works for me.  I think I could've done it after pressing the frets in but I wanted the extra length to play with.  

Used a dozuki saw to cut a slot in a piece of radiused board.  I cut the tang and file it down (carefully).  I used my fret guru end file to round the end on 90 degrees and then transition to my z-file and run a few passes starting at a steep angle and working it back.   Then I hit it with a foam 220 sanding block and I have micro mesh sticks to get them polished up, (thanks for that idea scott)   heres a pic of one after the 220.  I look at the bottom to even it up and then round over the top. 

This has always been a hurdle for me so maybe itll help someone along.  Heres some pics.

15689511115098549476524517404129.jpg

15689511719262981652766715440559.jpg

15689512154685329041468370785238.jpg

15689512972453389563196504776002.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen a video of an elderly chap doing it similarly, before fretting. It seems to work well especially when you have binding on the fretboard. Supposedly even if you have to file the end a tad shorter when in place the shape will still look good and feel nice. 👍

Reworking the back for more aggressive contour.  Also put the frets in.  Still need to go back and dress the bottom side a little bit more.  The way I went about was lining the top up with a straight edge and  I'll dress the bottom side until its where it needs to be.  There's actually only one or two which surprised me.   

15691258691646870708432999631561.jpg

15691299164415612401295485486212.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Sweet. Those sound like they'll be killer. I just listened to an Oil City P-90 demo that was indeed killer.

What models are you getting?

I'm a big fan of Kleins (made here in Texas). Have you tried them?

SR

I'm getting 2 blackbird humbuckers.  Ash is the owner and he pointed me in that direction.  

I've never heard of kleins.  I wonder if they have some minibuckers for my next build.  What kind of pickups do you usually use?

With the exception of a couple sets of Seymour Duncan's and a couple sets that Restoration AD made, all my builds have gotten Kleins.

https://www.kleinpickups.com/

I've used '58, '59, and wicked PAF's, several combinations of P-90's and Tele sets and the Jazz Cat strat. And I've got a set of Hot P-90s and a custom wound strat middle wound hot enough to keep up with P-90s ready to go in this current build.

Did you say Ash owns Oil City?

SR

• Like 1