KEA attempted builds, 2019

Look at you go with that carved top quilt! I'm not sure I remember you doing a big carve before.

What is speaking to me the most though is that Explorer de Luis (what do you call those) that you are showing in the first two pics.

The work you've done on the figure is fantastic! What did you do? And the back looks like it may be black limba...we probably need to see what that looks like too...

You keep finding new ways to impress Luis.

SR

WAAAAAOOOOWWWW. I keep coming back to the green one and the way the strings enter the body - right inside that quilt figure. It's like you planned it that way . . .

Thanks guys, it means a lot!
Scotty!
For that first explorer, i did a wash of a medium brown, twice. It already had some amazing figure, but it helped the darker parts of the quilt really pop.

Mike,
It was actually something ive been trying that is a little different. Well, kind of.
Instead of using a black or straight green stain for the quilt popping part, i did more of a dark, aqua/ bluegreen stain, then sanded back. The dark blue really makes it have a depth and different color once the tinted green is applied over it.

Here are some better pics of the first one.

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0049.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0050.JPG

• Like 4

5 hours ago, killemall8 said:

It was actually something ive been trying that is a little different. Well, kind of.
Instead of using a black or straight green stain for the quilt popping part, i did more of a dark, aqua/ bluegreen stain, then sanded back. The dark blue really makes it have a depth and different color once the tinted green is applied over it.

very much appreciate you sharing that and your work in general.  storing that info for later.  

14 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

The Tamo ash one came our really cool. I black grainfilled it first, then sprayed glow orange kandy, a redburst, then a super thin blackburst

The blue centered one isnt my style, but its what the buyer wanted. Very skervesen/ mayones esk.

Killer stuff!

I share your view about the blue centered one....but that doesn't mean it's still not a very cool build.

It's been quite awhile since I could see any room for improvement in your work...but you have appeared to stepped up your finishing game several levels. Your latest stuff has been really really good!

Wow.

SR

I very much like the blue centered one! Not saying that the other two were any worse, only more traditional. The blue centered one looks like an aerial photo between two Caribbean islands, a fine example of using the natural figuration of the wood to create landscapes - dunes and depths just by emphasizing what already was present. It's like some wood sculpturers say: The shape was inside the block.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, Bizman62 said:

I very much like the blue centered one! Not saying that the other two were any worse, only more traditional. The blue centered one looks like an aerial photo between two Caribbean islands, a fine example of using the natural figuration of the wood to create landscapes - dunes and depths just by emphasizing what already was present. It's like some wood sculpturers say: The shape was inside the block.

Thats exactly what i thought!

Pretty much all my work the past week and a half has been finish work. Trying to catch up on these 9 builds i have!
Here are a few updates.

DSCF5080.JPG

DSCF5077.JPG

DSC_0091.JPG

DSC_0101.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Havent updated in a while.
had a rough month. Ive ruined 6/8 guitars, including one day with a rare top.
Hit a huge wall where no matter how long of a break i take, i come back and make mistakes.

Dont know why it always goes in phases like this. I make some great guitars, then out of nowhere i cant even measure a pickup cavity location correctly.
hope everybody else's builds are going better.

• Like 4

Just now, killemall8 said:

Hit a huge wall where no matter how long of a break i take, i come back and make mistakes.

Dont know why it always goes in phases like this. I make some great guitars, then out of nowhere i cant even measure a pickup cavity location correctly.

I feel ya brother, been having that happen the past few weeks myself. Now I bent over wrong and my frigging right hip is acting up. No way am I going to get that replaced anytime soon. LOL!!

mk

3 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

I hit a similar phase recently.  when I started my recent project I cut the neck angle a little deep on a blank and it was too short of r a 25.5scale guitar.  then later, accidentally bought a 24.75 sl fretboard and realized it wasn't 25.5 once I had the inlays in.  ok, I go back to the shorter blank.  got the truss in, fretboard glued on and mounted it on the guitar to realize I forgot to cut the heel shorter.  back and forth, back and forth.  oh well.

I think sometimes you just need to step away and get yer mind right.  Here's to better days for you and me both!