KEA attempted builds, 2019

5 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Great work year on year, Luis. Did your guy ever come through on the Dime headstock? That green Maple top is better than any Dime Slime I've ever seen as well....good job!

Thanks Carl. That green one came out exactly like i hoped. For some reason everybody always roasts me about using green.
That dime headstock build was a disaster in communication. Speaking of which, i do owe you some money for the time you put into it at the time

Just now, killemall8 said:

Thanks Carl. That green one came out exactly like i hoped. For some reason everybody always roasts me about using green.
That dime headstock build was a disaster in communication. Speaking of which, i do owe you some money for the time you put into it at the time

No no, you didn't get the job. That's not how I roll man 😉 haha

8 hours ago, ScottR said:

I've run out of superlatives. Those are simply stunning!

The purple one is standing out for me today....might be a different one tomorrow.

And that neck in the first shot! I want to eat it!

SR

Yes yes, that neck. What was your process to achieve that? Wow.

And those SOOOOOPER clean lines of gloss top and natural wood edge. waaaat?!

On 6/21/2020 at 10:37 AM, ScottR said:

I've run out of superlatives. Those are simply stunning!

The purple one is standing out for me today....might be a different one tomorrow.

And that neck in the first shot! I want to eat it!

SR

Scotty! Thank you! I think we are each others biggest fans.
That purple one is something else. It is basically chameleon. In low light its straight purple/ violet. In the sun, it pops to the color in the pics.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:40 AM, Prostheta said:

No no, you didn't get the job. That's not how I roll man 😉 haha

I appreciate that. I do have a confirmed project for you though, if you have time

19 hours ago, komodo said:

Yes yes, that neck. What was your process to achieve that? Wow.

And those SOOOOOPER clean lines of gloss top and natural wood edge. waaaat?!

That first neck is roasted maple. Its just how it looks, i didnt do anything to it!

Ive perfected the transition line between the top and the side. Makes it look so crisp!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

Scotty! Thank you! I think we are each others biggest fans.
That purple one is something else. It is basically chameleon. In low light its straight purple/ violet. In the sun, it pops to the color in the pics.

Could be!:)

Sunlight does do amazing things to dyed/tinted highly figured maple. Makes that figure bounce around nicely too.

SR

so a little rant

I had always wanted an edge sander. I always thought that since they are platen back and flat, that they would produce a flat edge on anything.
So i spent almost a thousand on a grizzly one, hoping to make my dream come true.

Got it in  yesterday and assembled it.

Ive never been so disappointed.

It doesnt sand flat in any way. or square. there is no tension adjustment, and the belt has a little give when you push a workpiece against it.

I had really wanted it to rough out a radius, flatten small pieces for gluing like scarfs and a ton of other things. Absolutely none of which it will work for.

Worst 1000 i have ever spent and i cant return it.

If it makes you any happier, the huge belt sander at the communal workshop doesn't work any better. Far from 90 deg. It works for getting the band saw marks off but not for any fine jobs. Then again, the communal workers seem use it for building doors and tabletops where a couple of degrees doesn't matter.

Can you modify the front rubbing face? Flattening that yourself helps. Post photos of that with the belt off and I'll recommend something. Generally adding a flat face and covering that with graphite tape is the way forward. Very surprised by the lack of a tensioner. Those usually help with tracking also. 

17 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Can you modify the front rubbing face? Flattening that yourself helps. Post photos of that with the belt off and I'll recommend something. Generally adding a flat face and covering that with graphite tape is the way forward. Very surprised by the lack of a tensioner. Those usually help with tracking also. 

going to talk to grizzly monday.

The platens are graphite, and checking them, they arent even close to flat. Off by almost 1/4" over the 31" length

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2020 at 6:06 AM, Prostheta said:

That's ridiculous. How can you get any sort of good consistent pressure without either a flat backing platen or at least a tensioner....?

I shouldnt say there isnt a tensioner at all, but a non adjustable tensioner. It only has 1 setting, loose, or tight. and it isnt very tight.
I ended up grinding the platen flat. its a pain but it will work for now.