KEA attempted builds, 2019

5 hours ago, mistermikev said:

that fretboard on that blue 'star' - is it actually blue streaks or is that just the camera?  if so... how'd you get blue streaks in there?  Is a really cool look. 

all yer geetars are stunning as usual.DSC_0050.thumb.JPG.4bff960f51b2fe69f7e32fed84de09b0.JPG

Not blue, they are black. Pale moon ebony

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, killemall8 said:

Been busy. Both with guitars and with mental breakdowns.

DSC_0018.thumb.JPG.66bade8ce289f648e365e826b825c7ae.JPGDSC_0011.thumb.JPG.54509b0e42665450e51679a3b2af717a.JPGDSC_0030.thumb.JPG.241faf3e63170da70dbac4ea5fef5397.JPGDSC_0027.thumb.JPG.686170ce043d3e67632b7a086d2f8faf.JPGDSC_0048.thumb.JPG.a17504181ced5ccd3fff1e90caba75a5.JPGDSC_0075.thumb.JPG.82dccc1a5d6444b95426d442cfe04b26.JPGDSC_0073.thumb.JPG.e485fa20048cc75de2a8dca2f7858dd6.JPGDSC_0072.thumb.JPG.f097d7f549dbf1fe4eedfab39ebe2178.JPG

DSC_0987.JPG

I guess it's an optical illusion then... cause in these photos it really looks blue!  beauty anyway but I was really twisted up trying to think how one would accomplish that. 

that walnut piece... man that's nice.  not really a pointy guitar guy myself but if anyone could make one I'd drool over it'd be u.  cudos.  on the other two... just did a really classy job of dusting that outer edge.  do you use a detail spray gun or something?  all 3 look top notch as always.

13 hours ago, mistermikev said:

that walnut piece... man that's nice.  not really a pointy guitar guy myself but if anyone could make one I'd drool over it'd be u.  cudos.  on the other two... just did a really classy job of dusting that outer edge.  do you use a detail spray gun or something?  all 3 look top notch as always.

Yes sir, i use a detail spray gun. super low PSI and hardly any fluid actually coming out. gives you a lot of control.

11 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Yeah, that Walnut is super nice.

Was a dang expensive piece, too. 300 for that billet that i still had to resaw

• Like 1

Just now, killemall8 said:

Yes sir, i use a detail spray gun. super low PSI and hardly any fluid actually coming out. gives you a lot of control.

Was a dang expensive piece, too. 300 for that billet that i still had to resaw

i appreciate the answer!

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

That blew right past me.

Looks great too!

What did you use and how did it go?

SR

I used the same 2k brand i normally do, but i found they had a flat finish available.
sprayed it the same way, but only 2 coats total. It doesnt spray very smooth and takes like a day to flatten out.

50 minutes ago, killemall8 said:

I used the same 2k brand i normally do, but i found they had a flat finish available.
sprayed it the same way, but only 2 coats total. It doesnt spray very smooth and takes like a day to flatten out.

That's what always holds me back. I've never sprayed a coat of finish that didn't need at least a little leveling.

SR

• 1 month later...

Stunning as always!

Having a living person holding the guitar adds perspective to evaluate the colours as we all know what human skin looks like. Without that comparison one might easily believe that the images are saturated and otherwise photoshopped to make us further envy your skills.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, killemall8 said:

That's pretty slow for a catalysed 2k, or at least within my experience. 2k tends to be touch dry within half an hour (or that sort of timescale) and cured within a couple of hours. I'm guessing that it's a product designed to have a longer open time?

You are reaching new levels of creativity Luis. Nice!

That piece of zebrawood in the first shot looks like one Carl is currently working on. Some of the stripes are cut through edgewise making them very wide and unique looking.

Nice beard you've got working and a good looking dog too. Looks like it was a fine day in New Mexico!

SR

4 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Yes, it does @ScottR. The piece I have had some growth defects and inclusions in proximity that manifested themselves as strange distortions much like that. What finish is going on that one, @killemall8?

On the zebrawood top?
I plan on just oiling that one. Zebrawood takes oil really well.

It does oil well, definitely....however I'm still trying to find a good hand-applied finish that deepens the darker lines the same way it looks under a wetting lacquer or clear. Throw some DNA on there and yeah, that. Oils don't really seem to increase the contrast all that well by comparison which is a shame. I'm going the Osmo PolyX satin route. The feel of well-prepared and oiled wood with smooth carves that you're in contact with really compliment each other.