swiss cheese strat

i have a MIM strat body, i want to drill 1/2 inch holes in it, to make it more airy... :D

no seriously i think it should change the tone to sound like a chambered guitar, plus it will look totally nuts.

it has a standard strat bridge, a FRED and a fender noiseless SC, and a virtual paf, and a maple neck. right now the tone is ok, but kind of muddy. i was reading about chambering on the tom anderson site, and thought of this.

if this is not going to be cool, or ruin the tone (tone is all that matters, not the value or finish).

mabey bigger holes, or smaller ones?

kinda, different, but for the tone, i think it might give it a bright sound, maybe not, if you got the time, do it on some cheap pine or something, and think bout it then, it would be kinda cool to see through it, or, drill our holes, and get glass inserts for it, it would still give it the swiss cheese look, and it may give it an insane tone...

Curtis

hmm, compass dials, all point to pick ups, might look neat, but you wouldnt be able to see them from a distance, hard enough to see a real level from 2 feet, imagine your up on stage? it will look just like glass, i still say glass or a clear plastic

Curtis

Are you going for a "semi-hollow body " sound ? If so, I'd give it a big "swimming pool" rout and put a wood pickguard on it. I really don't have an idea of what a bunch of big holes will do (beside make the body weigh less). But I do know from experience how the "pool" rout creates a "woody" "semi-hollow body" sound. Actually I have recordings of my strat that's modded like that and there are some tunes where I could tell you I was playing a FULL hollow-body and you wouldn't doubt it.

Be careful not to make the body so light, that the guitar becomes "neck heavy".

See John Mooney strat mod in "guitar player repair guide' for more info on how a strat can be made to sound closer to a hollowbody with these type of mods.

Rob

Maybe the fred is not a good pickup for such a mod. maybe you even already have the "pool" route. Fred+"pool-route" might= Muddy tone.

doing my suggested mod will probably make it more muddy with the fred. Fred is designed with a solid body/ floyd rose in mind. Fred is around 10k resistance and made to have more mids than standard PAF.

ok, you guys won't stop with the 'gadgets in the holes ' idea. So howabout a some kind of volt meter in one that is connected to a fuzz. the more fuzz, the higher the needle goes. Billy Gibbons had something like that. Another hole has a barometer in it, to keep track of the humidity. And if there was a way to get a speedometer to show how fast you're picking, then there would finally be a reason to "shred" again. :D

I've got it! Put spider webs in the holes with spiders in the center of the webs (live ones would be cool :D ).

Too easy. I say put black holes, like the kind in outer-space that swallow whole galaxies. Your guitar picks would get sucked in, and never seen again. Oh, maybe something like that is already happening with my guitar picks B)