Build #7 -Ollie's Neckthrough flying V

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Wow!  To be honest, if anything it's better than the original drawing. The shading effect of the darker shell is very effective.

Top class!

Thanks @Andyjr1515 my only gripe with it is that it looks slightly more cartoony than the original drawing, probably needs smaller eyes, but overall I'm happy with it. It's by far the most elaborate inlay I've attempted anyway.

4 hours ago, Splintazert said:

Fantastic work and very original. Bet your eyes need a rest after that!

Cheers @Splintazert  ha well I only did the odd hour here and there over a week or so, so it wasn't too bad on the eyes.

5 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Another hour or so spent on it last night working on the details, I think I'm ready to call it done. It's not identical to my original drawing but I've surprised myself with how close I've managed to get it, not that it matters given that it was drawn by me, so you lot are the only ones that know what it was supposed to look like :D I know Ollie will love it anyway,

Will get the dot inlays in tonight and hopefully frets in later in the week

AwRtNf8JO4yeZLQNMD9tv6WxVPn83RPydpe4Ezfg

excellent!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

Why, is it that bad? 😂

If it were, I'd have no issue. I'm afraid my inlaying skills could best be described as hammering an oversized square block into a round hole, hoping there'd be no gaps.

At the moment my woodworking is not that delicate:

1715471672_WP_20150718_002(Small).thumb.jpg.561abf279e8b754fef269dc5eb2d5382.jpg

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Oh, I don't know...

No one has ever looked one of my wood piles and thought that there was a plan of any sort involved in its construction.

SR

I like to think that my wood pile is planned and organised, but it's really just a pile of wood :D

Pz3GvXW3caF_FyIjGsT2K0Be8EmdYg3fDaqgW1At

Also here is the inlay in context. I am super happy with it after all

lVQ0VAt1rrrbOAxcKRJ9E842e7skVCLQKQaJAW8_

@Bizman62 my chiseling skills are not excellent, there is a lot of dust and glue around the edges. Just dive in, start with wood as it's a lot cheaper if you mess up, an offcut from your ovangkol into some ebony would look awesome 👌

• Like 2

Had a decorator in this weekend, meaning the mrs and toddler made themselves scarce and I had a whole weekend of garage and guitars :D

My buddy Tom came round and we/I fretted his Hondo bass. He wanted shot of the lacquer so we got the old frets pulled, sanded down and new frets in and bevelled - installing jumbo SS bass fretwire was like trying to install iron girders. I need to get a notched straight edge for bass, then I'll finish the job for him. There are lots of dents in the lacquer on the back of the neck so once I've finished sanding that down, I'm hoping a damp towel and a soldering iron will decompress them a bit, but it's a 40 year old bass so they have probably been there for years and might be there for good. 

mIiaaOOYqjkAonY9aJ_gBh8srSYgT5ZCZ7iFhtFm

PFnadBr9ASO-uq0wnX20fN3bsr7TtyP-EjmTRAvU

This was quite successful for my first refret, kinda glad that my first attempt was on something that didn't cost the earth, thought we may be refretting his '97 Warwick Streamer after.

On to the job in hand -  Frets are also in the V. Went for nickel silver on these purely because I had a roll leftover but I expect I'll me sticking to SS from now on. 

SoUE0rGl4d-nOsKsYKCBWIgBo6H64Hsi9NwqglKM

vy79UfxFlLecXusXRpd0GN2txS39Zd3jmphxCWri

Now that I can see it all in context, I'm not that happy with the logo and I'm tempted to inlay a smaller version in MOP inside the ebony to give it an outline. Will decide on that further down the road!

Next up, got the neck carved, started off with a blend from neck to body but there was too much meat on the heel for the last few frets to be comfortable. He wanted the same feel as a cu24 so I got the router out to make it more like a PRS tenon. Just got tidying up to do now, annoyingly there is not enough space to get the roundover bit in there so I'm having to do that with a file. Feels lovely though, Walnut it a joy to carve!

OOED7ZAdxlhJI23-lairazh7qbyoOezfiFFlFrEY

NsD8U0CxDUvdzsVxwLa9bZndYV-M5inpQ2yEhxTw

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I'm tempted to inlay a smaller version in MOP inside the ebony to give it an outline.

I've always loved your logo. Inlaying a smaller version into it might look good as the outlines often do. Then again it might spoil the characteristic graffiti tag look by making it too sophisticated. Like real gold rivets on jeans...

4 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I've always loved your logo. Inlaying a smaller version into it might look good as the outlines often do. Then again it might spoil the characteristic graffiti tag look by making it too sophisticated. Like real gold rivets on jeans...

You're right as usual, I might offer up an ebony truss rod and see how it all ties in. 

Just now, ADFinlayson said:

right as usual

Now that sounds scary! 😨

A simple way to see how it might look is some shiny sticker cut to the dimensions you planned to make the MOP inlay.

Progress on the V then. I ended up putting strings on to finish off the carve to get it right:

3qyIp_5iMQDkqsPbzAnZdC9MEaBC2IWTNCHT9pQq

Even with the heel I routed in, there was still too much meat at the dusty end so I put in a bit of a ramp to make access better

7CRdNf-sjuowrqj0jUc_vVhHTJ12nLW2m7duEZ6u

I got the neck to 20mm thickness with a D shape from the nut to the 15th fret, then it slopes gradually to the start of the of the heel at the 19th.

Sanded everything to 320 then put down a brown base colour after reading several posts saying brown is better than black for highlighting figure. This highlighted a few scratches I didn't see before and a couple of gouge marks that I missed, so I did a lot more sanding. But if it was my guitar, it would be staying this colour - I think it ties in really nicely with the walnut.

mUKNPLTwONJF6zqtXyHY5U7FBv6VLUyDAKdrD3d0

Then after knocking it back again with 320, I went for a coat of blue. I used crimson stains here because the Liberon blue looks more green than blue. There are a few places where the grain won't take stain, I'm starting to think that this is just a trait of flat sawn maple as I never had this issue with the red one or the wenge/sycamore lp (both quarter sawn tops)

DHBbey_pSYi0bIcIfK36GImnT9-_Q7cwvkGAQVVr

Then did a bit of a burst too highlight the carved areas which looks almost green in places 😢

yiJj06EBvRxrjEdw5K_xK7JiEBe3OZfar9VfIB-4

Need to knock it back some more with wire wool to help the blend. I don't know that I'm super happy with it though I expect Ollie will love it anyway so I started scraping back the binding. I'll see what it looks like while the sealer is wet and decide whether to crack on or sand it back and have another go.

0zKx3a5uMClLo1Uf3jDLuNfnVoAC3L4OhoFhB8NV

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Splintazert said:

Very nice, I can see what you mean about keeping the brown, it does look good. Looks like it'll pop well when you put the sealer/finish on.

Any colour going on the back?

No mate, the walnut/maple veneers will be natural and I think the control cover looks better natural as it will never be see at the same time as the top. 

• Like 1

I'm with you and @Splintazert in that the brown looks nice. Some gloss on that and voilà!

I can see some greenish hue in the second last picture but in the last one there's purple. Is it just a photographic thing or does it really shift colours that way? Looks almost like the rainbow figures on a pool of oil, very interesting!

Just now, Bizman62 said:

I'm with you and @Splintazert in that the brown looks nice. Some gloss on that and voilà!

I can see some greenish hue in the second last picture but in the last one there's purple. Is it just a photographic thing or does it really shift colours that way? Looks almost like the rainbow figures on a pool of oil, very interesting!

I think the green is down to the brown coat - There is obviously some yellow in it. It does also look a bit purple in some light, no idea why!