The Black Queen

komodo

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Ain't it cool how no matter how good a fretboard looks, adding frets makes it look better?

Could it be that it sort of unleashes the guitar playing potential? Or is it just because it adds some 3D? To me some of the stars look farther away now that the neck is fretted.

• Like 1

Going real slow. 

Admission time: I hate fretwork. I’ve been doing 1/2hr at a time just after work each day to keep it palatable, and mostly to force myself to spend the time and do it right.

FE6B2E80-16C2-4D4C-B284-EBF7FCB65FF3.jpeg

• Like 1

Doing it just as long as you tolerate it is the right way, forcing yourself will only cause issues which would make you do it over and spend even more time doing that.

It's funny, fret job and sanding seem to be the tasks that people either love or hate. I'd like to say it's about finding the zen but for what I've understood explaining zen means you don't know anything about it. Anyhow, both sanding and fret job can be done meditatively which may be the reason why some love them. Ironing your shirts has been told to be a similar task, concentrating to get a smooth flawless end result forces your brain to stop bouncing between nonsensical issues, letting your subconscious rest.

Fret job is a spiritual thing, brother!

Believe me, I get that, I just really don’t like doing it. But the result of spectacularly polished and leveled frets is unmatched. So, I do it.

I also hate bottling beer after brewing, making prints in the darkroom (but I enjoyed developing- go figure), not a fan of sanding drywall, painting houses, but I like mowing. Hmmm.

You're not alone, I don't know anyone that enjoys fretwork. 

When I was at Crimson last year doing a refret course. They only had me sanding the frets up to 320 to my surprise, then Christopher went at them with their buffing machine and compound. A lot less work involved and they're shinier than any fret job I've done. Incidentally, I stumbled across a PRS build video (in the factory) where the finishing tech didn't even bother taping off the fretboard, he just took the guitar up to the buffing machine and buffed the frets and fretboard. He said that there is some residue left on the ebony board from the buffing machine, but scraping the board between the frets with a razor-blade afterwards beats taping off the whole fretboard. I'm tempted to slap a buffing wheel in my drill press and have a go.

I’ve got some small Dremel buff wheels. Boom.

@ScottR if there was a place in my shop to put ANYTHING, I’d already have a kegging system. As it is, I can’t even build another guitar until something leaves. And another guitar is percolating already, as they always do in the home stretch.

1 hour ago, komodo said:

And another guitar is percolating already, as they always do in the home stretch.

Ain't the truth.

And then you have to build it, if only to see if it looks the same as it did in your head, or because you absolutely have to know what that sounds like if you do everything the way you percolated it.

Apparently there really is no such thing as too many guitars.

SR

This one is just a vehicle for a set if P90s. Ive got a thread already where it was going to be an LP Jr, but now I think it should be an SG or original. But no fancy wood. lol

• Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 11:24 PM, komodo said:

As it is, I can’t even build another guitar until something leaves. And another guitar is percolating already, as they always do in the home stretch.

...what's that joke about guys never finishing the job because they gotta go down the pub to brag to their mates?