The Black Queen

komodo

Pandemic is a good argument for respirator mask. Therefore, I should wet sand outside in a strong wind, if I've tested positive?

This is easy!

witch.png

16 hours ago, Norris said:

I tried wet sanding on my first build. I do it all dry now

You can work through the micromesh grits without water as long as you remove the dust regularly before it can clog - every 4 or 5 strokes

I do the same. I like to see what is happening to the surface as it happens.

Plus I don't like water getting near any cavities. Mineral spirits is a good substitute for water though.

SR

• Like 1

You bring up a great point. I've been putting it off thinking that with each step it gives the neck protection. Really I should've taken it off quite a ways back to get a good transition. I usually do a careful score with an Xacto and peel small bits slowly. After messing with the Cellusolve so much, I'm not really afraid of anything anymore. LOL

I got up to 2800 with the Micromesh and caved in with my car pads and cutting compounds that I was going to use on the Beemer (aka girlfriend). I've still got the final polishing compound to do, but it's already where many ppl would probably quit (not you though - you and Louis are the bars I measure against!).

It just needs a nut, the electrics put in, and the final shaping of the trem cover around the new bar. And polishing out the cover plate. Why I didn't put the plate on to finish out, IDK. Same mistakes being made over and over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose there'll still be a lot of buffing involved. Apart from the scratches it looks very "scotty". You know what I mean, don't you?

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 2:46 AM, Bizman62 said:

I suppose there'll still be a lot of buffing involved. Apart from the scratches it looks very "scotty". You know what I mean, don't you?

Well, I’ll say one thing. I seem to build by having a plan but then making lots of decisions and course corrections as I go. Like the way a carver pulls the subject out of the wood. It has resulted in a very handmade guitar, with some rough edges or unique details. But, I love it’s organic nature and think of it as a prototype. Unfortunately the finish on this one is giving me fits. Even after I stopped wet sanding, it’s still sprouting crazing. Not as bad but I’m done fighting it. It’ll probably get a refinish someday, but right now it’s too good to strip. Weird place.

That's exactly why you're in a similar class to @ScottR. Myself, I have to engineer everything to the last degree. It means that when things go wong, my head asplodes and things rapidly get shelved. By the same coin, I spend more time in preparation of work than the work itself. There's some zen in there, but unlike zen, a lot of swearing. Zen fury!

• Like 1

There's a happy balance, I know it. I'm slowly getting there with some stages, and it all revolves around patience.

For me, it's mostly it's a persistent dominance thing where I will bend this material to my will, and pull this thing into the world from the raw materials no matter what.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, komodo said:

For me, it's mostly it's a persistent dominance thing where I will bend this material to my will, and pull this thing into the world from the raw materials no matter what.

I tend to give my raw materials (wood) a bit bigger voice in determining its destiny. If it starts fighting me too hard, I may say, well if that's what you want to be, so be it. I's a simpler concept when working with organic shapes. On the other hand, if the wood's ideas flat don't work, if it's too contrary, it may just find itself replaced with a piece that has a better attitude.

SR

• Haha 1

Again, we're in danger of a complete off-rail trek, but cool.

Wood is a strange material that we're in the game of. Guys like you Scott, tend to go with what the wood wants and use that as your muse. That has absolute value and artistry, letting your eye be led into the form. This can't be taught. From my end of the pool, wood is a known quantity with organic properties that need to be understood in order to use it as an engineering material. Or at least (having seen people engineer wood better than I may ever manage or conceive!) understand in order to control.

Take the reins of the bull rather than react with and around it. Either way, don't let the bull knock you on your ass.

• Haha 2

I realise I've missed a few pages of this thread somehow! 

Where you've got to with that finish is very impressive indeed but I've got no idea how you've got here from where it was when I was last paying attention :D      I will find some quality time today and get myself properly up to date :). Based on your results so far, it will be time well spent in my quest to steal admire everyones best techniques.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it sounds exactly as it should. Pretty hard to play anything other than Queen on it. LOL But ripping out some Bon Scott ACDC, old Priest, or Sabbath takes on a whole new tone. Plagued with a grounding issue but I think I have it.

2E114140-14BE-4149-980A-04C8BE0BE932.jpeg

76EFC438-6144-4579-933D-4347FC6525A0.jpeg

EA47A195-8159-4C9B-84B6-42D66E0FCE78.jpeg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

Wow, well there you go....! Hasn't this been a ride?

It's been a pain in the ass, but a great learning experience. Lots about nitro repair, further inlay study, and purfling. The whole thing is just a host for these pickups which are really cool. It plays really well, though I don't think the neck has any give at all, hopefully that won't create any relief issues.