The Black Queen

komodo

8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Seeing that voting is closed, may I be the first :)

Truly fabulous build...and it certainly got my vote :)

Oh snap, I thought it was tied. Thanks Andy!
I feel the same about your build. I'm blown away by the subtleties of the acoustic build and your precision workmanship!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, komodo said:

Oh snap, I thought it was tied. Thanks Andy!
I feel the same about your build. I'm blown away by the subtleties of the acoustic build and your precision workmanship!

No.  To my great surprise, we were tied for a pleasing number of days, but truth will always out :)   I'm very, very happy to have got even close to a tie.  That video, by the way, is the icing on the cake.  It sounds scrumptious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

No.  To my great surprise, we were tied for a pleasing number of days, but truth will always out :)   I'm very, very happy to have got even close to a tie.  That video, by the way, is the icing on the cake.  It sounds scrumptious.

Really excellent by the both of you!

They're both purty too.

SR

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

What a good way to start a Monday. Thanks to everyone, especially @Prostheta for keeping this site here for all of us to share. Building has been a lovely curse for all of us, but during this last year it has never been more apparent just how therapeutic it can be. It makes the whole process richer, when you share with friends all over the planet. I really appreciate that!

I think the only thing greater than what we do here, would be sitting in a pub having beers with everyone!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, curtisa said:

I think a covid-safe fist bump needs to be directed towards @komodo for taking out Guitar of the Year 2020. Well done, buddy :thumb:

Thanks @curtisa! This guitar would only be a silent plank of wood without your assistance.

It was a very well deserved win, and like every year there's a plethora of instruments with backstories and incredible labour put into their creation. Everybody gets to go home with a prize (sorry, I can't Oprah-car you all) which is always cool 😉 

Site maintenance between myself and @curtisa is the smaller of the tasks compared to what building a guitar entails, but thank you! As long as people build, the site will be here.

You could pick any one aspect of your build and use it to flash up a simpler build and it would be the highlight. This is a series of them. Man, I bet those Tri-Sonics make the woodiness shine through. They're very sensitive to the physical makeup of the instrument by all accounts, so this should be lively as hell. Any comments on that aspect now you've lived with her a bit?

Thanks Carl!

Sure I can speak to that. You know when I started it, I had high hopes for the Trisonics, probably too high. The pickup usually doesn't lend as much voice to a guitar as the pup makers market to you, but these have a unique open air coil construction. I've got a clone of a Catalinbread Galileo pedal I built that really gets you into the Queen ballpark and I figured the pedal/pup combo would be great. And I wasn't looking for dead on, I'm not in a tribute band or anything. 

To me this guitar was about two things, the ebony core for tight transfer of sound, and the pups. In the end they both went far beyond expected! It actually sounds way more like May's sound more than I thought it would even without the Galileo pedal, using only amp gain and maybe a treble booster. The May singing sustain is there, not from any Vox AC30, but from the ebony neck which is great since I play a lot at lower volumes. 

The sound is very very present, almost acoustic sounding unplugged, which is always a great sign for how a guitar will sound plugged in. The switching gives many options, not unlike the Red Special, but probably more manageable. I was really surprised at how different the combos sound, some are whispy thin and some are ferocious. 

Couple of things I've realized about myself - I'm not using the tremolo as much anymore (on any guitar), and I'm pretty sure I like two pups vs three pups. It just feels more natural. My next build is going to be a fixed (Hannes) bridge.

Komodo, I'm glad the thread popped back up (too lazy to search y'know)

It may already be mentioned up-thread somewhere, but I wanted to know what dye color you used.

It looks like what I know as 'Silver Gray'.

A dye I have had in the packet for many years but have never used on anything as of yet.

Gorgeous build, beautiful color.

But I'm dying (pun intended) to know specifically the dye color(s) you used on it.

Fabulous work!

PS, I saw Queen, around 1977-1978.

I think Styx was supposed to open for them but canceled out and we got Golden Earring (Radar Love) instead...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Drak said:

Gorgeous build, beautiful color.

But I'm dying (pun intended) to know specifically the dye color(s) you used on it.

Fabulous work!

PS, I saw Queen, around 1977-1978.

I think Styx was supposed to open for them but canceled out and we got Golden Earring (Radar Love) instead...

Thanks @Drak!

I've seen many bands, but Queen is one I've never had the chance to. Boy, 77-78 Styx woulda been something, that was their peak.

As far as the dye - I'd have to go back and see if I left any notes on it because I'm not sure! I'm using LMI powder dyes mixed in alcohol.  Clues:
"also @ScottRs dye advice had me doing a bunch of dye tests building a dark sand back color using brown red and blue with great success. I’m getting very close to D-day."

"Coat of slight purply black then sand back."

Looks like then I did a washier coat of the same later. It's no longer in my noodle, but I think I used black dye, and added touches of the purple I used for the earlier sand back color. If you look at Page 9 in this thread, about the middle of the page, you can see the gauze and stuff sitting around the guitar that has thinned dye residue on it. It shows the purple black color a little better. When the shellac hit it later, that slight amber bump warmed it and tilted towards purple a little more.