The Black Queen

komodo

I agree on the Styx thing, but if they were opening for Queen (being the openers)...

They couldn't have been 'hitting their peak', when they would be the headliner.

So, maybe more '77 than '78...

Damn it was bugging me so I looked it up.

They were touring on The Grand Illusion (I remember that much)

Which was released in the summer of '77.

I can't remember what Queen was touring on, but I'm pretty damn sure it was News of the World.

Which was also released in '77.

The girl I took I remember from sophomore year, which was '77.

And we were in school, so it wasn't summertime.

So it probably was a fall/winter '77 show, everything lines up like that.

As much as I like Brian May, I must say Freddie Mercury was just blazing on fire, that I do remember.

His energy levels and performance were off the charts.

I actually did go back and start reading the whole thread and saw the mention of purple-black.

Good on you that I can't tell for sure, which means it's not too heavy-handed and obvious, but delicately delicious.

If I had to pick only one band out of them all, I very well might pick Queen.
And as much as May influenced my interest in guitar building, and as much as he gave us such spectacular melody and texture with his guitar - it's Mercury that I think of when I think Queen. The ultimate front man. I'll dedicate this build to Freddie Mercury!

If I had to pick one from those days, it would be Michael Schenker and UFO.

They could do no wrong in my eyes.

And I built a Shark V as a 'Michael' thing, tho he used standard King V's.

But the pickups I put in it were totally to hit that particular mark, and it does.

Funny tie-in there between them...

Michael had that Black/White V (that Rudy suckered him out of).

And Freddy (in that period) was wearing that Black/White diamond leotard.

Through the 70's into the 80's, his hair grew shorter and shorter by the year.

It's kind of funny to Google him by year, you can see it go from long to short, to shorter, to shortest.

This is the Freddy I saw in 1977, not long hair, not cropped short, in between.

aa6_freddiemercury1977.jpeg

1980:

• Like 1

That's super cool to hear that the pickups are making it sing like they should. Once I cut the seized bolt in my tremolo block from the Firebird I should be able to complete my Firebird/Red Special hybrid. Looking forward to that now.

I was desolated when Freddie died. Aside from Hot Space, I don't think they truly had a "miss". Even Hot Space had "Under Pressure".

Man, you've gotten me inspired to pull that halted build and fix the issue. I feel like I need to.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Nice one Jeff! very well deserved though I think your kraken inlay was also more than worthy of GOTY!

Thanks Ash! I will say I've been playing that one quite a bit. The pickups on it are really something.

9 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Man, you've gotten me inspired to pull that halted build and fix the issue. I feel like I need to.

It's required and must live. Resurrecting builds or redoing old ones like @westhemann just did is so fulfilling. 

@Drak I remember your cocobolo V, that is a killer guitar.
UFO was not one of my main bands, I didn't discover them til later via a drummer I played with. After that, I pestered my band forever to play Love to Love. They always wanted to play covers of hits, I wanted to play deeper cuts that I knew would sound kickass.

One last post here:
I wanted to say my vote for GOTY went to @MiloszM. What a triumph in so many ways. The way we build is very different, and I love that. When you go back and read his whole thread, you can watch as the extremely raw ideas morphed like flaming magma. Then started to form into consistent shapes, folds and curves. To see the final object come to life as an exquisite instrument is just thrilling.
Bravo!

On 10/3/2020 at 11:20 PM, komodo said:

Had a bit of a noodle on the old girl. Gives you a rough idea of how those Trisonics are voiced. Sorry I set the cam down by my pedals. The switching is really loud!

So Brian you're back.

Cthulhuhuu has set my world all right and well on how the world should be..black (B)or white/ right(R) not wrong
Can the world be anymore perfect...
Yes.. it can be better:
quote (komodo):
"I have taken possession of the body of Brian May, dont want to go into details...but as far as it goes....

Perfecto work!! 

2 hours ago, MiloszM said:

So Brian you're back.

Cthulhuhuu has set my world all right and well on how the world should be..black (B)or white/ right(R) not wrong
Can the world be anymore perfect...
Yes.. it can be better:
quote (komodo):
"I have taken possession of the body of Brian May, dont want to go into details...but as far as it goes....

Perfecto work!! 

with such a beautiful guitar I would claim the rights to the bloody seas, mountains & forests