The Black Queen

komodo

I had adventures with my RS tremolo. I milled a hole through both sides of a neck-through blank and glued in a shaped Oak block with inserts in place. The cavity is RS-shaped, but without the convenience of the hollow body and ability to put cavities in there easily. Still, it's a fun job. Race ya! (once I do a small repair....)

@Prostheta I can type again! Also, no way I’m gonna race! 

@ScottR Til now, my plan on that void had been to ignore it. It’s also more substantial (deeper) than I thought. Since I’m planning dye, I’ll need to be careful. What did you do? I’ve checked all my scrap for a good donor piece but matching the quilt will be tricky at best.

Push comes to shove I can plane it down but that will lower the top more than planned. There is plenty, but the trem block is now fixed in place. Then there’s the chance I could uncover others.

Pocket is perfect, everything aligns, action looks like angles are working out. Rabid beaver has started attacking the HARD ebony neck. Its considerably lighter even now. 

I’ll take a break from the neck, and put the beaver on the body to really get moving.

A9498897-8BAB-4218-BDD6-18E21DD9869E.jpeg

45F258D9-432F-4888-8CB9-A582901054D3.jpeg

2FF81780-F058-43AE-A0BF-E6B4F9C234C1.jpeg

9C41DD3F-1685-481C-A763-FE11F1769AE7.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow that’s a deep looking carve, how thick is the cap? It’s a stunning piece of wood. The maple really pops against the ebony. What are you doing for fretboard, are you planning to bind it? I’m just thinking anywhere where you can add maple over the ebony would look great. 

really enjoying watching this one progress 

As always, I’ve got vision in my head - some is clear, some is “I’ll figure out as I go”. For the tailblock/tremolo cover, this was the case. Mostly, I wasn’t sure how it would resolve with the body carve. I made the carve ‘swoop up’ to the block, but it’s just not resolving, so I will remove that wood and make it a regular carve and shape the tailblock based on this sketch and iphone mockup I made during meetings at work.

It adds a kind of Ferrari-like vent that allows a small peek into the cavity to reveal the springs of the special tremolo. I guess I’ll have to polish them up or put LEDs in there.

28F98D5E-8444-4E4F-A429-7939BA8F501F.jpeg

9FFFF1B5-A6EB-418E-9151-387F870E3A7A.jpeg

9343C2C5-B957-407E-8370-A63CE1F5DF25.jpeg

• Like 2

Finally had the cajones to settle on a control layout and drill straight through the body to commit. Ha. I’ve used the same cavity templates as my earlier dragon guitar. Partially as a nod to myself, partially out of sheer laziness and why not. I’m not sure how I made that cavity so messy using a router template, but I’ve since cleaned it up. My cavities usually look like robot vomit, my goal for this one is to have one of those uber clean layouts that beg for a clear cover. Sort of like that last pic (not mine). I mean would ya just look at it?! They polished the pots.

Also, I had decided I didn’t want six switches to do a full Red Special wiring and went with three on-offs. But then today found full Red Special using three on-on-on switches, so thats the plan. (phase-off-other phase)

340BA55D-759B-491C-A66A-A861140C8362.jpeg

BC8531F6-0DDD-4B9B-81B4-DA4D7FEA3AE2.jpeg

CF8197C1-4DA3-415F-B04E-F8C40742379F.jpeg

48DA1A50-E692-4377-9133-E723F1EBD61D.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ScottR said:

Gotta love that macassar up against the ash.

SR

I’ve been contemplating the finish (again), and have gone back and forth on dying the maple edge or leaving it blonde to go with the ash. The top will be dyed black/purple, light burst. Kinda like this one:

Problem is, I don’t know how to do  it. I’ve been doing tests, not really close. My guess is that guitar is straight black, sanded back, but when I do it it’s flat and blotchy. Then it looks like either a light trans purple wash or sprayed, and then black burst sprayed. I don’t have an airbrush, so dyes would be sprayed with my gun or maybe tint some nitro?

804A2DF9-EB2F-43A3-8C53-BED530CA3045.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, komodo said:

I’ve been contemplating the finish (again), and have gone back and forth on dying the maple edge or leaving it blonde to go with the ash. The top will be dyed black/purple, light burst. Kinda like this one:

Problem is, I don’t know how to do  it. I’ve been doing tests, not really close. My guess is that guitar is straight black, sanded back, but when I do it it’s flat and blotchy. Then it looks like either a light trans purple wash or sprayed, and then black burst sprayed. I don’t have an airbrush, so dyes would be sprayed with my gun or maybe tint some nitro?

that looks killer.  

The original RS control layout is comprehensive but has many redundant and non-useful combinations. If I ever get the Firebird finished, three phase switches and a 6-way Freeway for pickup on-off combos seems less work. That could even be reduced to two phase switches I guess. The real trick with distilling combinations is finding out what works best in a player's context, so I imagine a change up will happen at some point. I think in your own design, two phase switches might look more streamlined. Depends on how it balances I guess. 

5 hours ago, komodo said:

Problem is, I don’t know how to do  it. I’ve been doing tests, not really close. My guess is that guitar is straight black, sanded back, but when I do it it’s flat and blotchy.

You may want to use some other colour than black for the grain pattern to pop. A dark wood colour like brown, maybe. Or something that goes with the final colour, like dark blue sanded back and covered with purple. I even recall hearing starting with pink or yellow sanded back and continued with darker colours. There's also a difference between water soluble and spirit stains and how they interact with the previous layer.

For some hints in stains look this and maybe some others there: https://youtu.be/3DwkpsUFdLg