International Rescue! The power of ProjectGuitar.com

What a great forum ProjectGuitar.com is.

And what great folks make up the membership.

Take @ScottR for example.  Yes - I know MrsScottR probably would say, 'Yes, PLEASE, take him!', but that aside - what stunning builds, what valuable detail passed on to other builders, what excellent presence on the forum.

So when my big boo-boo on the recent Swift Lite bass destined for James in Hawaii came to light (I'll update the thread on that shortly :rolleyes: ) which was, to quote James:

"Andy - I LOVE this bass.  It looks stunning, it is so, so, light.  It sounds fantastic, it sits so well on the strap...but...you know you asked me to send profile templates of my favourite playing neck?  Well...umm...it's a bit thicker than my Lakland.  Does that sound right?"

...and I checked, and I realised I'd made some fatal errors, compounded by not picking up that I'd made those errors; and then when I'd considered the perils of CITES regs and confusion and customs both in UK and US of him sending the bass back to me to fix ___ then my thoughts turned to one guy....our very own @ScottR 

Would Scott consider receiving the bass, slimming the 3-4mm (yes - I said it was a big boo-boo!) off the neck? I asked.  Then reshaping the profile.  Oh, yes - and by the way it is stained.  Ah, yes, and the stain was self mixed.  Hmmmm, and it's a through neck so actually, the neck stain needs to be colour matched.

And Scott said yes :rock

So James sent it to Scott - yes Hawaii to Texas 7000mile round trip, but still US to US - who devoted pretty much the whole of last weekend to it and did this:

C02073.thumb.jpg.2ceb8d820c402f213aa5517359ac3395.jpg

Yes, it's deep isn't it - when Andyjr1515 decides to get things wrong, he doesn't muck about.  If an error is worth doing, it's worth doing well!

Then Scott matched the profile - which itself is not an easy task because it needed to stop before losing the 1/128" oversize of the binding stopping the fret ends from poking out the sides, AND it's a subtly asymmetric profile.  But, wow, this looks pretty good:

C02078.thumb.jpg.07cfa709fd2a25f8903557fd2e8645a4.jpg

And then Scott colour matched the stain by what clearly must be an out-of-this-world-alien technology!  After all, I have trouble colour matching along the whole length when I'm applying stain in the first place!!!! 

And just look at this! :

C02083.thumb.jpg.824ace849400e4c050d637f688590ec5.jpg

Absolutely unbelievable.

And it was back with James less than a week after he'd shipped it.

And James was stunned at how good it was.  (James was diplomatic but I suspect he was thinking what I was...hmmm that's better then when Andy sent it in the first place ;) )

Fantastic save.  Mind numbing.

And is Andyjr1515 completely out of the woods?

Well, not quite yet.  In the 13,000 miles,  6 trans-ocean flights, 10+lorry trips, three of the frets have lifted a touch and a hairline crack has appearedin a small area of the fretboard join where I reckon the neck has flexed during the 'normal' courier handling - but that should be readily resolved.  There's a radius block winging it's way over the 2-three oceans while we speak so I can talk James through how to re-seat them and wick some CA into the hairline.

But back to the neck save - and, indeed, project save - WOW.  Just WOW.

@ScottR - what a guy.

ProjectGuitar.com - what a forum.

• Like 3

:blush

Stop it Andy, if you pile it on any deeper, I may not be able to dig my way out.:D

Listen y'all, Andy was a pleasure to work with even put in writing that he was responsible for any mistake I might possibly make before I ever started. And frankly, it wasn't that tough a job....it only took two beers to see it through.:lol:

I will admit though, that I am right pleased with the way it came out. And I'm glad James and Andy were as well.

SR

• Like 3

scottr you da man.  I nominate for member of the year... always quick with advice here on the forum and I certainly appreciate that.

andy - mistakes: I know them well.  nice recovery.

on that note... I wonder if you'd be able to help ME with a similar mistake scottr?  below is a pic of a neck I built that was supposed to be a 27" scale fanned fret neck... boy is my face red as clearly I did not hit my mark.  (hehe)

image.png.3d060f7b56d3270709eacfae8a3578df.png

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, ScottR said:

It's fine. Just add frets.

SR

no... quit joking around... clearly the neck profile is all wrong!  and the fretboard profile... and if you want to split hairs the scale length could use a little work... and the finish... but other than that!  it's very close!  (hehe).

• Haha 1

If you send me an awesome neck, I'll send you back an awesome neck.

I should mention how impressive that bass is and how cool to get to see and handle one of the gems pictured in this forum. The craftsmanship in that bass was/is stunning. More impactful though, even though Andy pointed out that this was a main goal--is how light the silly thing is. I mean the thing is not silly, but how little it weighs certainly is. I mean basses are big!

SR

• Like 1