low-fume finish options

Quinn!

I'm experimenting with minwax wipe on poly at the moment on top of some brush on cellulose sanding sealer and getting really good results. The smell of poly isn't too bad at all, but the cellulose sealer I used is seriously strong stuff. You can apply the poly straight on to bare wood and bin off the sealer if you're going for a natural finish (and depending on the wood), but not if you've stained the top as the process of wiping the poly on will remove a lot of the stain, unless thats what you want to go for. I would be happy to use the poly in the house if I had no other choice but the sealer is an out in the garage with all the doors open job.

Edited by ADFinlayson

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, Quinn! said:

Besides, tung oil, Tru-Oil and shellac, what are some options for finishing a guitar body that I could apply in an indoor space without spraying? I'm not married to any one look for my new build, but it would be nice to be sure of the options that are out there

Back to @ADFinlayson 's post above, in terms of smellier options than the fairly odour-free Osmo, yes - you can wipe on standard polyurethane varnish.  I did a tutorial a while back on the subject:

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 5:21 PM, Andyjr1515 said:

Back to @ADFinlayson 's post above, in terms of smellier options than the fairly odour-free Osmo, yes - you can wipe on standard polyurethane varnish.  I did a tutorial a while back on the subject:

I read your tutorial before doing my tester (Can't work out how to imbed a video so here's a terrible gif ), it was very useful 👍 and I'm planning to do this finishing technique on my ziricote guitar and the flying V when it gets there. Kudos!

R5Jcn4VUAXEYSO_n8uLN6woae38RDkZZRDJ1J_-a

• Like 2