opinions on Tali wood

Guys when I was at my usual hardwood supplier I came across some Tali wood, I'd never heard of this before and got some for a non guitar related project but was wondering if this would be suitable for using for a guitar.it is quite heavy and I'm told is very stable and although tough on tools it does machine well

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1347.JPG

My opinion is that any wood that is stable and attractive to the builder is suitable for a guitar. Any drawbacks like excessive weight or toughness on tools have to be weighed by the builder. Nearly all that kind of stuff can be overcome, and figuring a plan on how to do that can be very satisfying.

That is a nice looking piece for sure.

SR

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 10:03 PM, ScottR said:

Any drawbacks like excessive weight or toughness on tools have to be weighed by the builder. Nearly all that kind of stuff can be overcome, and figuring a plan on how to do that can be very satisfying.

That is true Scott luckily I've been on this forum for quite a while and have picked up a lot of ideas and techniques from some of you guys that have a lot more experience than I have.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, ADFinlayson said:

There is nothing about Tali in the wood-database

I must admit that I haven't done an extensive search but there is not a lot of information about this wood on line but I did find that one thank you.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:41 PM, verhoevenc said:

Maybe it's the tinting of the pic and lighting... but that looks like padauk to me. Description sounds like it too.

Is it bright orange? Sawdust bright orange and get on everything?

Chris

I've not used padauk so I can't make a comparison but the sawdust is not a bright orange and I think my second picture doesn't show the colour accurately. It's finally stooped raining here so managed to take a pic outside.  A pic of my current project, the ring has a few coats of Danish oil and the other is straight off of my CNC at least on my laptop the colour is more accurate.

IMG_1360.JPG

• 1 month later...