Wiring Anomaly

Lucius Paisley

When checking the electronics for my Samick Artist, I noticed that the pots are configured in a way I'm pretty sure isn't right...

(As you look at the guitar)

Neck Volume / Bridge Tone
Bridge Volume / Neck Tone

I took a couple of pictures of the wiring...

SamA.thumb.JPG.06a222a42dfe79c1e9136a9c59420562.JPGSamB.thumb.JPG.dc5b27ba21ca648e40ab5ffcb8a6c311.JPG

I am wondering if anybody can tell from the images attached what may be responsible for my tone pots being the "wrong" way around.

6 hours ago, Lucius Paisley said:

I am wondering if anybody can tell from the images attached what may be responsible for my tone pots being the "wrong" way around.

The way they were put in? ;)

In all seriousness, maybe the pickup wires were accidentally echanged on the two volume pots during manufacture. You could desolder the pickup wires on each volume pot and swap them.

Alternatively you can always unbolt the pots and swap their positions into whatever order you'd prefer, providing the wiring is long enough to reach.

It was more for my own curiosity than anything else, because the wires to me look exactly how they should be. My only guess might be that somehow they've been joined under the solder and are causing some kind of parallel circuit thing.

I plan to take these out of the Samick Artist (right handed) and put it into a slightly older Samick Les Paul (left handed, which I am), I was hoping I wouldn't need to undo everything before doing that so it could be a clean swap, but I might as well redo the wiring while I'm thinking of it. Especially if they're "wrong" at the moment.

Thanks for the reply.

I took a look at this when you first posted it and could not see anything wrong, then got distracted and forgot to respond.  That said... it's hard to see EXACTLY where the wires were going. 

My guess at this point is that the leads going to the selector are simply reversed.  Depending on the actual wiring both volume knobs would likely affect the entire output.  perhaps you are thinking you are rolling off the treble pickup when in fact you  are rolling off the rhythm?  You could test this with a screwdriver and tapping the poles.  then adjust the tone knobs while doing the same test.