project Parts-caster, Alder, Basswood, Agathis, Paulownia or ?

1 hour ago, ScottR said:

Your nut actually looks fine in this shot. I'd say your neck and bridge are just slightly out of alignment. with each other. If you have no adjustment left.....can you loosen the neck up a tad, push the headstock to the bass side a hair and re-tighten? If not, I'd just push the nut itself a little that way to center the strings up a little better.

For the G-string, will a slight raising of the bridge saddle fix it? If not you can sand or file down the 22nd fret till the buzz goes away and then re-polish it. You don't have to worry much with the 22nd fret, there is no 23rd to buzz if you get it too low.

SR

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

I think he may have glued this neck in no?  either way... looks pretty close... could loosen trem screws and try to gain some leeway there and/or move the nut L/R.  If it isn't glued in then... what he said^!

Perhaps slightly enlarging the bolt holes in the neck pocket a smidge would allow me to push the headstock to the bass side and align the strings better on the fretboard...Paulownia is so soft I get leery of any such mods ;) I'll give the whole neck to body joint and bridge saddle height on the G string a few more tweaks when I come home from work! :)  

• Like 2

Okay...so it looks like the battery box fits the battery sideways rather than flat...I'd have to carve too deep in the body, and the box would interfere either with the pickups, the pots  or the preamp controls itself...so either I need a different battery box (a flat mounted one) or keep the current one and splice the battery wires so I can carve the battery box cavity an inch or so behind the tremolo cavity and have the battery wires reach all the way down there...or I can do what this dude did and be done with it!

[âIMG]

9 hours ago, Captainstrat said:

Perhaps slightly enlarging the bolt holes in the neck pocket a smidge would allow me to push the headstock to the bass side and align the strings better on the fretboard...Paulownia is so soft I get leery of any such mods

On my first build, a T-type, the neck wasn't perfectly aligned. So the Master Luthier simply loosened the screws by a quarter of a turn and wrenched the neck into the correct position, then retightened the screws. If it worked for hard maple, softer woods should pose no issue.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Captainstrat said:

Moving closer to the finished product! :) Got a black back plate on order for the tremolo cavity!

20190418_130634[1].jpg

20190418_130700[1].jpg

20190418_130913[1].jpg

looks like yer using two bat clips to extend the wire length?  you prob already thought of this but note that that will flip the wires so bare end will be wrong colors... not that it matters.  just lookin' out for my fellow bro!

oh snap... just saw the shot where you flipped em back for the final clip.  was still lookin' out for you tho!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mistermikev said:

looks like yer using two bat clips to extend the wire length?  you prob already thought of this but note that that will flip the wires so bare end will be wrong colors... not that it matters.  just lookin' out for my fellow bro!

oh snap... just saw the shot where you flipped em back for the final clip.  was still lookin' out for you tho!

Much appreciated ;)   While my Dremel got quite the workout (as did my vacuum cleaner to my cat's chagrin ;) ) and my random oscillating sander came in quite useful in the finish sanding process; the most overlooked and underappreciated tool in the bunch (yet the one that saved me the most headaches) was my manual drill!  I used it for all of the pilot holes on the guitar body, including the tremolo spring claw!

Oh yeah, one thing that got my attention real quick was the smoke that the CA glue makes when "hardening" the threaded holes...and wiping the excess with a paper towel, I could feel it getting hot! 😮 anyway...

As I mentioned earlier, I ordered a black tremolo cover plate to match the pickguard, pickups and knobs.  The first tremolo arm I ordered was a cheap POS that didn't fit my old Hondo Fame bridge (technically a Samick I guess?) and litterally bent as I attempted to test the tremolo bridge!  Ordered a new one (meant for standard Fender threading, hopefully it's close enough to the Fame's) and why not, with a matching black knob ;) 

Also with the battery clips, I got a cool deep blue strap with lightning print for Miss Pauline (sorry, couldn't help it...I refer to the Pinecaster as Piney and the Sustainer Strat as Miss Pauline because of her Paulownia body ;) )on which I'll install the other pieces of the Strap Locks.

Gave the guitar another buff (the lacquer does scratch and chip easily :( )

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captainstrat said:

Much appreciated ;)   While my Dremel got quite the workout (as did my vacuum cleaner to my cat's chagrin ;) ) and my random oscillating sander came in quite useful in the finish sanding process; the most overlooked and underappreciated tool in the bunch (yet the one that saved me the most headaches) was my manual drill!  I used it for all of the pilot holes on the guitar body, including the tremolo spring claw!

Oh yeah, one thing that got my attention real quick was the smoke that the CA glue makes when "hardening" the threaded holes...and wiping the excess with a paper towel, I could feel it getting hot! 😮 anyway...

As I mentioned earlier, I ordered a black tremolo cover plate to match the pickguard, pickups and knobs.  The first tremolo arm I ordered was a cheap POS that didn't fit my old Hondo Fame bridge (technically a Samick I guess?) and litterally bent as I attempted to test the tremolo bridge!  Ordered a new one (meant for standard Fender threading, hopefully it's close enough to the Fame's) and why not, with a matching black knob ;) 

Also with the battery clips, I got a cool deep blue strap with lightning print for Miss Pauline (sorry, couldn't help it...I refer to the Pinecaster as Piney and the Sustainer Strat as Miss Pauline because of her Paulownia body ;) )on which I'll install the other pieces of the Strap Locks.

Gave the guitar another buff (the lacquer does scratch and chip easily :( )

hope your circuit has reverse polarity protection on it... as another thing that will smoke real good is a diode being burn out by rev power... and it's kind of fun to see (ask me how I know).

31 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

hope your circuit has reverse polarity protection on it... as another thing that will smoke real good is a diode being burn out by rev power... and it's kind of fun to see (ask me how I know).

Well, it's still wroking fine, even after I did the mistake you pointed out earlier (forgot to flip the wires, then corrected my mistake when I noticed there was no signal).  That Sustainer preamp impresses me,  even the cheap ceramic single coil pickup I have in middle position (a remnant from a Squier Bullet Strat I once owned) has no hum being wired to that preamp!  Not sure if it has built in 60 cycle filters, but whatever it is, I like it!  And when that sustainer circuit is engaged...oh Mama Mia!  It's looouuuud meng! 

1 minute ago, Captainstrat said:

Well, it's still wroking fine, even after I did the mistake you pointed out earlier (forgot to flip the wires, then corrected my mistake when I noticed there was no signal).  That Sustainer preamp impresses me,  even the cheap ceramic single coil pickup I have in middle position (a remnant from a Squier Bullet Strat I once owned) has no hum being wired to that preamp!  Not sure if it has built in 60 cycle filters, but whatever it is, I like it!  And when that sustainer circuit is engaged...oh Mama Mia!  It's looouuuud meng! 

what circuit did you use?  ruby?  the one they have here?  I have thought about doing a sustainer and will when I get to doing the right guitar for it.  how do you like it?  any noise issues with your other pickups?

I'm using a Fernandes FSK-401 kit for Stratocaster style guitars, which I got new from Ebay a while back - tried installing it in My Mexican Strat, trying various bridge pickups other than the Fernandes bridge  humbucker (that was mistake #1) didn't like it, "re-Fenderized" my Strat and put the kit in a box (with several damaged pieces due to my dumbass mods). So many years later, I was very fortunate to find replacement parts (for the ones I damaged) and go "full Fernandes" on Miss Pauline (well, the electronics are anyway, except for a better quality pickup switch and the Squier pickup in the middle).

Somehow, the system is working loads better on Miss Pauline than it did on my MIM Strat...again, replacing the bridge pickup was the initial mistake.  Besides, I like to have a standard Stratocaster with the Vintage Noiseless pickups for that signature sound, and the overpowered DIY counterpart with active electronics and singing sustain :) and the comfortable weight is another plus (I've had neck & shoulder issues and developed mild arthritis in my back, so the lighter the better).

Edited by Captainstrat
  • Like 1

Alright, so Amazon shipping messed up again...I really hate it when the delivery guy assumes that leaving the parcel on my doorstep is "good enough"...I mean it's one thing if I'm home, but when I'm not, it's a different story!  Thus far I've had 2 DVD's one pedal and more recently, the replacement tremolo arm, stolen by a neighbor! 🤬

They've always been good at refunding my money, and this time around, they added notes to contact me before delivery, and to ship to the nearest retail outlet if I'm not available...hopefully that helps.

So...DHL was instructed to deliver the tremolo backplate to the nearest DHL outlet, and since the new replacement tremolo arm is being shipped via Canada Post, it'll either be slipped through the mail slot (like duh! It's not that big Amazon couriers! 🙄 ) or  it'll be sent to the nearest Postal Outlet (a block away from the DHL place, so it's alright, good exercise ;) )

Miss Pauline is pretty much finished, the back plate is for cosmetics only (I'm using my old cream colored one that came on the MIM Strat, until I went white pearloid on it), and while I hardly ever use the tremolo arm, it's nice to have the option available ;) 

13 hours ago, Captainstrat said:

Alright, so Amazon shipping messed up again...I really hate it when the delivery guy assumes that leaving the parcel on my doorstep is "good enough"...I mean it's one thing if I'm home, but when I'm not, it's a different story!  Thus far I've had 2 DVD's one pedal and more recently, the replacement tremolo arm, stolen by a neighbor! 🤬

They've always been good at refunding my money, and this time around, they added notes to contact me before delivery, and to ship to the nearest retail outlet if I'm not available...hopefully that helps.

So...DHL was instructed to deliver the tremolo backplate to the nearest DHL outlet, and since the new replacement tremolo arm is being shipped via Canada Post, it'll either be slipped through the mail slot (like duh! It's not that big Amazon couriers! 🙄 ) or  it'll be sent to the nearest Postal Outlet (a block away from the DHL place, so it's alright, good exercise ;) )

Miss Pauline is pretty much finished, the back plate is for cosmetics only (I'm using my old cream colored one that came on the MIM Strat, until I went white pearloid on it), and while I hardly ever use the tremolo arm, it's nice to have the option available ;) 

nice neighbors.  if it were me... I'd put a package out there with dogshit in it and I'd rub the outside of it with urine.  leave a note telling them you have hep c too... you know... send a message.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

nice neighbors.  if it were me... I'd put a package out there with dogshit in it and I'd rub the outside of it with urine.  leave a note telling them you have hep c too... you know... send a message. 

mikev, you're a mean person! 🤣

• Haha 1