Lightweight Tele build.

Been working on another guitar, after a couple of false starts (that Padauk build has come apart at the seams where I joined it!). Anyway, got some nice flamed maple that I have been wanting to do something with. Paired it with an olive wood board,  some ash and walnut and this is the result so far. Very happy with the neck fit! Snug but without having to hammer it within inch of its life! It’s only 36mm thick, hopefully it stays in one piece 😁

6E3E9D96-18C9-4392-AA05-BE756DA67D55.jpeg

82DA6606-8FCA-4B73-82C6-B2A73E4D97E1.jpeg

4E828B3F-9CA5-469F-9C47-AC174C3FFF82.jpeg

1 minute ago, mistermikev said:

neck is sweet.  is that cooked maple or stain?  either way - looks nice.  looks like a good start here.  nice work @ShatnersBassoon

Thanks! It’s a stain. I did the normal thing of using a dark stain and sanding back to reveal the figuring. When I did it to the back of the neck I thought it looked cool with the brown tint so paired it with the walnut back. Here is the back anyway.

30E27B6F-0BD6-4F8F-9EC0-A00F05DC6D10.jpeg

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Interesting stuff.  With the title being a lightweight build, I guess it's chambered under the walnut?

How much wood have you been able to take out?

Well I’m saying lightweight...but it’s just light in comparison to my other build. It’s going to be about 5.5 pounds? The ash is pretty light, so I didn’t have to do any chambering

Edited by ShatnersBassoon
  • Like 1

Sure you could glue it... but ferrules and screws are not a bad option either!

afa weight... I have this thinline mahog/maple tele that for ages I swore was super light.  It feels like nothing.  Finally got a scale and turns out it's heavier than a few other guitars I have at 7+ lbs.  This makes me think that balance is more important than actual weight because even knowing this I pick it up and it just feels light.  Perhaps it is that the body part is lighter than my other guitars... I dunno. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

lovely ash grain there, and some nice work.  is it me or is your neck pocket extremely long?

Well spotted! And thanks. It’s not all cut to shape yet. So yes, quite long at the moment. However I’m keeping part of the side wood on the pocket to allow for more surface area for glue....I have decided on a set neck of sorts (is it still classed as a set neck without a tenon?)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Well spotted! And thanks. It’s not all cut to shape yet. So yes, quite long at the moment. However I’m keeping part of the side wood on the pocket to allow for more surface area for glue....I have decided on a set neck of sorts (is it still classed as a set neck without a tenon?)

Judges?

I think set neck refers to anything less than neck through but more than bolt... but I might be wrong. 

I like the idea of set net... should suit this well.  rock on.

• Like 1

Light weight and easy to work usually don’t describe ash, you definitely got lucky on that piece. I did a thinline Tele from ash years ago that is light after then chambering but was hell on tools. My work bench is mostly ash and the thing weighs a ton.

Before you settle on a set neck, make sure to do some trial fit up. Make sure you like the fret access and still have enough wood for side support.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 3:56 PM, ShatnersBassoon said:

(is it still classed as a set neck without a tenon?)

On 4/1/2019 at 4:06 PM, mistermikev said:

Judges?

I think set neck refers to anything less than neck through but more than bolt... but I might be wrong. 

I like the idea of set net... should suit this well.  rock on.

Mike has it right. If it's glued in it's a set neck.

SR

• Like 2

So I have finished most of the body now; need to revarnish some of the areas around the side where I didn’t notice run out from the wood filler and also will be varnishing the walnut back soon. Glued the neck in. Also been working on a scratch plate for this build that I have made from Golden Phoebe wood. I will be clearing all the gunk from the cavities ofcourse...(that sounds so wrong 😂)

D1732E2B-C799-4A90-A325-AEA0F60744DB.jpeg

C337C98D-C811-4CCA-882F-E1CFD1CF61A1.jpeg

Edited by ShatnersBassoon

13 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Oooooohhhhhh, that is nice! I wouldn't fancy seeing that get scratched.

SR

for the record I'm not copying you...

yes, that scratchplate is a beauty chunk of wood.  going to look really nice on this.  nice work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

😁 Thanks! Yeah I’ve had it lying around for about a year now....I originally had enough of it for a droptop, but it got chewed in to pieces in the planer ☹️ Always wanted to put it to good use.

nice save!

• Like 1