Semi hollow LP-profile neck-thru

Awesome. Such a great moment to bring it to life. Did you hear it's voice?!

With all the fighting with springs and screws, cracks and everything - hopefully it helps to know there is a group of people here who totally understand because they are also fighting same or similar battles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, komodo said:

Did you hear it's voice?!

The sustain is endless, or so it seems hanging from the hook! And the cheap Chinese pickups are nice, the neck pu is fatter and the bridge one crisper as one would expect. Both seem to be less aggressive than regular P90's which suits my preferences.

It's hard to tell about sound or rather playability yet, the nut is so ridiculously high! I may also have to recess the bridge inserts.

• 2 months later...

Damn! You guys make me do things I didn't even think about before! As you can see, I recessed the jack plate. It definitely makes a difference.

While at it, I also drilled the jack hole all the way through as the bottom of it had contact with the tip prong, preventing the plug going all the way down.

20200125_160050.jpg

Edited by Bizman62
  • Like 3

No increase in sustain but the jack plate doesn't grab on my pants as much as it did. The next project is to find new screws for it, the cheap Chinese ones didn't like the screwdriver.  Guess a pair of black screws salvaged from old computer coolers will do nicely. They'd also match with the black knobs.

Edited by Bizman62
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, willliam_q said:

The edges look chamfered, what did you use to do that?  I hadn’t thought of recessing mine but could give me ideas!

The edges indeed are chamfered and it's done in the most low tech way. I simply took a pencil and used my fingers for a marking gauge, drawing a line on the top to a distance I felt was appropriate. Note that the bevel is shallower and goes deeper in the waist area to emphasize the narrowest part of the body. After drawing it was simply done with planes, rasps and scrapers. For sanding my collection of blocks of various shapes came in handy. Especially the piece of an oval table leg fit into most curves!

Re recessing the jack plate, it's something I learned viewing this very forum! Thanks, guys! The edge of the ultra cheap Chinese plate is quite rough so I thought I'd try to hide it as my first ever inlay! The result is very pleasing as the plate now looks like part of the design instead of an indispensable add-on to get the guitar electrified.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Thanks Ash, under right lighting the Ovangkol really shines that warm amber glow. Under the fluorescent tubes in the workshop it was a dull greenish grey which often made me want to change the top wood!

Well... During the weekend the Covid situation worsened a tad in our town and they strongly suggested people to be more alert than before. Masks and hand wash when there's other people around etc.  I'm an IT techie doing mostly house calls and whaddayaknow the business completely died yesterday morning. So today as my calendar was empty I took the guitar and played a little while waiting for the phone to ring. And it rang! So while I was talking with the customer I hung the guitar back on the cabin door knob from the end hook (yes, still no strap buttons but I play sitting so it doesn't matter). I managed to return to my desk and sit down when CRASH! the guitar fell off the knob.

Good news: The only visible damages are on the edges and are easy to fix by sanding and re-oiling. No deep dents, more like scratches. Funnily the neck has no damage despite the guitar was (and still is) hanging neck down.

Bad news: The bridge pickup stopped working. The 3-way switch gives the neck PU sound in the neck and both positions. Does that mean that the pickup is dead or is there just a wire loose, I don't know.

wow biz... you did a great job on that... lotta good details.  I like that the 'roundness' of the pickups matches the soft 'roundness' of the guitar.  (those are engineering technical terms). 

how you like them gotoh z tuners.  I abso love them myself.  very very smooth.

nice work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Gotoh z??? They were the cheapest of that ilk I could find: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844056399.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.29644c4dmXUqbT

But yes, they seem to be smooth.

hehe, did not realize they were knock offs.  I thought they were sgs510z... https://www.ebay.com/c/672294780

not exactly cheap!!  cool tho if they work smooth.  they fit the 'smooth' theme of the guitar.