what do you know about nitro lacquer?

I've only ever used gravity feed. I don't know how it compares to pressure feed, but it's never given me a reason to go look for something better.

As for chatoyance, was your sanding routine the same for both guitars? I've found that going the extra mile and really polishing the bare wood gets the most out of the chatoyance available. If you finished each piece exactly the same, then you are most likely correct that the difference is due to the wood pieces themselves.

SR

31 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I've only ever used gravity feed. I don't know how it compares to pressure feed, but it's never given me a reason to go look for something better.

As for chatoyance, was your sanding routine the same for both guitars? I've found that going the extra mile and really polishing the bare wood gets the most out of the chatoyance available. If you finished each piece exactly the same, then you are most likely correct that the difference is due to the wood pieces themselves.

SR

I was comparing my build with a PRS so no idea what their sanding routine is, probably a much better routine and better executed than mine though :D 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

You should, these results have surpassed my expectations by a country mile.

Hehe, I've done two so far. 2k, not nitro but all the same. The first one is going to have some serious resanding done to get rid of any and all of the bumps and humps. Hopefully I can do that without having to redo the finish! The second one just shines...

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this one up but I didn't find anyone saying much about "dust bunnies" One of the great things about Nitro is you can pick a spec of dust out and the lacquer just closes the gap as it dries. I've done this after about 5 or 10 minutes after I've finished using something like a Stanley Trimmer blade

...maybe not 10 minutes

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Crusader said:

Sorry for bringing this one up but I didn't find anyone saying much about "dust bunnies" One of the great things about Nitro is you can pick a spec of dust out and the lacquer just closes the gap as it dries. I've done this after about 5 or 10 minutes after I've finished using something like a Stanley Trimmer blade

...maybe not 10 minutes

I find the same thing I don't worry much about dust bunnies. Like you I do the same thing it usually levels out in the sanding afterwards anyway. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, Crusader said:

...maybe not 10 minutes

that is a good tip... does it work the same with 500 dust bunnies (hehe).  I paint on the side of my house in a plastic tub... backed into the corner with the tub... but wind in az is constant and full of dust.  That white guitar drove me nuts!  need to try a wardrobe bag next time.  anywho, thanks for the tip.

I didn't find dust bunnies to be a huge concern when I was spraying this summer. I was spraying in my garage (which is very dusty) and did see the odd spec landing on the surface, but must have just sanded through them all because it came out dust free by the time I got round to buffing. Apart from one little spec that was, I'm pretty sure it was under the sealer though - I had the guitar laid down flat so I could spray light mist coats of sealer to lock in the colour on the top prior to spraying lacquer with the guitar upright.

• Like 1