Getting the most depth and movement out of figured woods.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:44 AM, Skyjerk said:

thats wierd. Sounds like maybe some reaction between the dye and the coating. What kind of stain/dye did you use?

The dye was transtint. It didn't matter if was carried in alcohol or water. It definitely reacted when I actually tinted the resin with the transtint.. The resin turned a very nice blue, but once the catalyst was added, the blue turned black. When I poured the mixture into the dam it was opaque black. I then cleared up into the transparent bronze and turned the dye in the wood dark or black as I described above. Pouring it over dyed wood without adding dye to the resin did the same thing as described above. One difference to consider is normal application method is to spray which involves atomized partially dried mist coming into contact with the dyed wood. What I did by pouring it into a dam certainly created a longer wetter contact with the dyed wood.

SR

• 3 months later...

Whilst waiting for various top coats to dry on my current guitar build I finally pulled these out and finished polishing them up.

The blue turned out to not be a good example of color, but it is a good example of contrast and chatoyance. I moves like a disco queen. The coppery brassy colored one has a thick layer of Tru-oil curing for the last 4 months.It moves like a bastard too.

DSC02592 (2).JPGDSC02596.JPGDSC02597.JPGDSC02598.JPG

SR

• Like 1