12 string framus guitar restoration : help needed

Latly i have decided to restore an old Framus guitar. it's a 12 string accoustic guitar. 
It is a really nice looking guitar that had great sound ( 20 years ago). 

One of the item i need is a the tuning keys also called  machine heads. 

I have ordered diffrent 2 sets of tuning keys and both where found out to be incompatible. 

I am mostly concerned as to the compatibility of the tuning keys with my guitar. I would greatly appreciate it if you could look at some of the pictures I took of the guitar's head and slots for the tuning keys.

I measured the distances and it seems that the distance between the beginning of the first tuning key hole and end of the last tuning key hole is 5 inches, or about 127  mm. 

I had the misfortune to already have ordered tuning keys for the guitar and found them to be incompatible - one was 121 mm from first to last tuner and the second one was 125 mm which was close, but still too short. 

Words could not describe my gratitude were you able to provide assistance in locating a fitting set of tuning keys for the guitar in the exact measurements needed and the web address of the exact item.

I greatly appreciate your help,

Amotz

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 17.42.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 17.45.35.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-06-03 at 17.43.14.jpeg

The distance between the centre of each post is the main thing you need to be concerned about, If the screw holes don't match up you could always glue dowels into them and redrill them to fit your new tuners as they will be covered by a plate anyway. My understanding is that most metric 12 string guitars tend to be 25mm from the centre of one post to the centre of the next. I guess if the guitar uses imperial measurements, then the distance would be 1" between post to post. 

If you look at the Warwick website, they have lots of Framus vintage parts listed 

https://shop.warwick.de/modul=shop_new&site=shop_overview&&ctree=D0405358001321517424A43801|D0039726001456126555A9

dang that seems like a real long shot.  I imagine if you really wanted to find exact replacements you'd have to do a lot of searching on reverb and evilbay... then pay thru the nose when you found them.  It's a beauty guitar and would be a shame to modify it... that said guitars were meant to be played!  I'm guessing you could easily just buy some single piece tuners and drill new holes but you were trying to avoid that yes? 

i did see an evilbay seller offering framus vintage tuners... but no info on spacing.  you could reach out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Framus-Vintage-Nickel-Tuners-Oval-Plastic-knob-6-in-Line-left/323442798271

hope that helps!

@mistermikevI found those too, but they looked the same as those on the Warwick site, with the posts too far apart.

AFA single tuners, wouldn't they add to the weight too much? At least the closed ones?

Amazon had some too but either they didn't give the measurements or they were either inaccurate or unusable. Asking the vendor is an option, getting a valid answer can be challenging.

ah, spacing yes.  perhaps.

afa weight: https://reverb.com/item/1501752-gotoh-stealth-new?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsY-o7szP4gIVFbvsCh17cwq9EAQYAiABEgIucPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

gotoh makes some amazing stuff.  they also make some other really lightweight tuners but these are the lightest... probably lighter than the originals.  that said... it'd be a shame not to put something original on their... unfortunately that probably could take a long time to track down the right ones.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...