Thinline Tele build - bridge for Bigsby B5 style tremolo

Hi everyone,

Im about to start a Thinline Tele kit, attached is a photo of the hardtail bridge it came with, I've got a Bigsby B5 knockoff arriving in a few days. Im wondering if anyone has had experience using a similar bridge (can make the holes in the back a little bit bigger) or am I best to get one of those half ashtray bridges and notch the back of it?

Cheers,

IMG_3326.jpg

this might work... it's hard to say.  you may have issues with the string rubbing on the saddle since the bigsby might sit too high to properly receive the string... but it's hard to say w/o trying.    looks like a fun build.  Love me some tele and my next build is going to be a thinline style with a tremking - which i hope is a nice sub for a bigsby.   I love the feel of the bigsby on my 295.

anywho... looking fwd to seeing pics

The main issue I see with that bridge is that the saddle blocks aren't built for running the string over it. The point where the string leaves the bridge is the lowest part of the system when it should be the highest for a run-over action. The traditional ashtray with 3 or 6 blocks can apparently be modified for Bigsby, however I'd search for a dedicated bridge for the B5. There's several options and kits available, starting from the ashtray baseplate with the slanted single coil pickup hole to the Tune-o-matic type on poles and something in between.

• 1 month later...

the problem is the strings "dragging" back and forth across the fixed saddles...  talk about tuning issues....  you're far better with a bridge designed to move in sync with the strings..  here's a few to give ya some ideas..

rk

DSC_3629.jpg

DSC_4960.JPG

DSCN0446.jpg

2 minutes ago, monkfish said:

Thanks - ended up ordering a Wilkinson half ashtray bridge - just waiting for it to arrive. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32946686129.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.13324c4dko84O0

Planning to file slots in the back of it, will update when it arrives and gets assembled.

HTB1BrheXEvrK1RjSszfq6xJNVXaU.jpg

tis a nice bridge.  I like a lot of the wilkinson stuff.  very underrated.  I've got this sm bridge in chrome that I was thinking of using on upcoming tele.  That said... not entirely sure how it would work with a bigsby... they are not great at staying in tune even with a roller bridge, but then fender used to put them on teles with barrel knobs so... might not be a problem at all.

Although that Wilkinson sure looks nice, it has the same issue with a Bigsby as the first one you showed. The back plate with the scale adjusting screws will drag the strings going under the beam of the Bigsby.bigsbissu.JPG.956ea1b238dee163538deaafcd4ee2e8.JPG

I'm sorry but a mechanism that has moving strings trying to glide over fixed brass is gonna be problematical at best.... every time you hit the Bigsby, the guitar will return to an out of tune condition...

Its bad enough with a tremolo and a bridge designed for them, but over a fixed bridge...  I hope no one in the group can hear tuning anomalies acutely... 

r

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Although that Wilkinson sure looks nice, it has the same issue with a Bigsby as the first one you showed. The back plate with the scale adjusting screws will drag the strings going under the beam of the Bigsby.bigsbissu.JPG.956ea1b238dee163538deaafcd4ee2e8.JPG

I think he was saying he's going to file slots in this like they do on a few fender models. 

i dunno, I have an es295 (just an epi) and with the stock TOM bridge it def wasn't great.  W a roller bridge it was pretty decent.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my doubts about filing the back of the tray but it worked fine with that three adjusting bolt bridge. A six bolt version like the one in your first post would have had the bolts right where you filed.

Well done, happy twanging!