want to get feet wet... looking for recommendations

mistermikev

I got in a hurry and used two sided tape only for something that I knew better on. I did not surface my spoil board in the past 4 weeks. Well you guessed it, the tape let loose on a part. Damn it I know better, the spoil board had swelled some here and there and was no longer level..

I could have used screws, but not dumb ass me, Get in a hurry and don't do it right. LOL. Now I have to tram the damn spindle again. That will take some hours I don't have to spare right now. Oh well, Shit happens!! :)

MK

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MiKro said:

I got in a hurry and used two sided tape only for something that I knew better on. I did not surface my spoil board in the past 4 weeks. Well you guessed it, the tape let loose on a part. Damn it I know better, the spoil board had swelled some here and there and was no longer level..

I could have used screws, but not dumb ass me, Get in a hurry and don't do it right. LOL. Now I have to tram the damn spindle again. That will take some hours I don't have to spare right now. Oh well, Shit happens!! :)

MK

well... if that's the worst thing that happens to you this year... prob doing all right then!  chin up.

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, MiKro said:

Well CNC is that way , when you screw up it will let you know it. :)

Well It is more than just a few adjustments. Dammit. Looks as though I may be building me a new Z axis after all. It is off enough that i can adjust it to very close with out making new parts for the time being. I think I am going to fix it to it's best first and use it to make the next one. It will at least accurately locate center holes for drilling on the drill press.  Then I can make the new parts for this one and put it on something else.

I knew I was going to have to build another one at sometime because this has a slight amount of flex in it that I have never been happy with, even if it is only 0.003", I want better. LOL. So time for a newer design and a stiffer one. :)

update: found my problem that would not allow me to move a part. I bent a few bolts. LOL!! Just had to take it apart another layer to get there. They are not bent much but just enough to make it not quite square up. :) whew!! now back to getting it trammed. :)

MK

2 hours ago, MiKro said:

Well It is more than just a few adjustments. Dammit. Looks as though I may be building me a new Z axis after all. It is off enough that i can adjust it to very close with out making new parts for the time being. I think I am going to fix it to it's best first and use it to make the next one. It will at least accurately locate center holes for drilling on the drill press.  Then I can make the new parts for this one and put it on something else.

I knew I was going to have to build another one at sometime because this has a slight amount of flex in it that I have never been happy with, even if it is only 0.003", I want better. LOL. So time for a newer design and a stiffer one. :)

MK

I see a lot of guys using their machine to make a new machine... apparently the spindle I have is capable of doing aluminum and other light metals.  I imagine eventually I'm going to have to learn more about replacing/upgrading the mechanical structure so... if you do and upgrade and are so inclined... would love to see pics.

• Like 1

Well it is almost back and corrected. My Y axis is within 0.00025" of tram The X axis is being an ass of a time getting it in to tolerence. I am now at 0.0045"  It will get there soon.  That is what they make BIG ASS Hammers for. :)

Update: Finally, X and Y trammed within 0.0002" Man I feel much better now. :) So when I remove the tramming dial indicator it will come out around 0.0005"- 0.0007 " due to the weight for the tool.

Just surfaced the spoil board, I need to get the dust collection hose back up in the middle supported as I can just see the faint lines from the side pressure of it I can't feel them but I can see them. 🙂

MK

spoilboard_surfaced.jpg

• Like 1