Perhaps a scroll, definitely 3 single coils, and maybe an F hole.

7 minutes ago, ZekeB said:

Haha, played all night with it.  I can see why you sanded back with lighter grits.  I think the challenge for me was getting an even color before applying the next color. 

Dye reacts differently in different woods, and it is perhaps most dramatic in figured maple. I keeps all my scraps and try new combinations of dye and sandback all the time. It's a good way to occupy time whilst waiting for the glue or lacquer to dry.

You certainly added depth to your mahogany with your experiments.

SR

• Thanks 1

I'm pore filling and sealing with Simtec easy sanding sealer. That is a  catalyzed polystyrene that does a great jopb of pore filling and does not shrink. While it fills pores it does not grab them especially well and relies on a mechanical bond. If you take care there is no issue. Since I polish the wood prior to coating I decided to use a shellac coat first....because shellac sticks to everything and everything sticks to shellac. Supposedly.

Here are the glossy shellac coats and for thoe that like the matte look, the leveled shellac.

DSC02579.JPGDSC02583.JPGDSC02584.JPGDSC02586.JPG

I did spray the Simtec and took pics....that totally sucked, so you don't get to see them.

Then I sanded it smooth and smooth forgot to take pics of that step....so no pics there either.

Sorry.

I shot another layer of shellac to stick to the Simtec and to give the lacquer something better to stick to. And I waited as long as I was supposed to to start leveling that, planning to get a dust coat of lacquer and maybe a couple of wet coats too.

But I decided the shellac wasn't hard enough yet, so that will wait till tomorrow.

So these are the only pics you get this weekend.:blink:

SR

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, MiKro said:

Scott

Some beautiful wood there. :) The scroll is a little over the top for me though. LOL!! Very nice work as usual from you. I hope your eye surgery will work out for you and the down time does not drive you Bat Shit crazy. :)

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I figured the scroll would not be for everybody....and of course it's not, It's for me!:D

Just thinking about the down time is driving me bat shit crazy....so it will probably turn out to be no big deal in reality.

SR

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KnightroExpress said:

Just blasted through this thread, you've somehow outdone yourself yet again! Seriously incredible and inspiring work, Scott!

Well look who just blew in from out of the dark spaces in between! Man I thought you had fallen off the face of the planet.

Hope life has been treating you well, and thanks!

SR

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muzz said:

Absolutely beautiful Scott, that is an awesome guitar, it won't be long until string up, what is the first song you will play on it?

Thanks Muzz.

I Hadn't really given the first song any thought.:coffee:

How do you feel about Blue Jeans Blues?

SR

Mine normally just glances at a build in progress as she walks by. One would get the impression that she couldn't care less about what was going on in the garage. But once I loaned one of them to a buddy and she acted like I was giving away our first born child.:blink:

Apparently, in her mind, she had claimed that one as hers.

She's never even held one in her hands, but that one was hers.:D

SR

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ScottR said:

Mine normally just glances at a build in progress as she walks by. One would get the impression that she couldn't care less about what was going on in the garage. But once I loaned one of them to a buddy and she acted like I was giving away our first born child.:blink:

Apparently, in her mind, she had claimed that one as hers.

She's never even held one in her hands, but that one was hers.:D

SR

haha, mine went through a narky phase about a year ago because I was "spending all my time in the garage", and I would usually notice her switch off when I talked about guitars (to be fair, that's all the time). But now that I charge labour, she's a lot more interested :D  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...