Perhaps a scroll, definitely 3 single coils, and maybe an F hole.

2 hours ago, avengers63 said:

Those huge pieces of burl must cost you a fortune.

Not as much as you might think. I ordered one that ran a bit over $300.00. They let me know it was no longer available the next morning. So I picked another--this one, and it was a little less than $200.00. And all of these are at least 2" thick. And I've got a fair amount of useful off cuts left over.

I suppose it's all relative and that might still seem a bit spendy.....but it's easy to find top wood for far more than that too.

SR

1 hour ago, avengers63 said:

For me, $200-300 for a top is a small fortune. It's all relative.

For me, 200-300 for all woods plus hardware is a small fortune. But that's what I pay yearly for the ability of using the workshop every Saturday all winter long. Relative indeed.

Edited by Bizman62

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I bet the slanted ends at the switch cavity reduce the amount of finger nail rash there...

And your sanding is awakes envy!

I need to make sure the knob on the 5 way blade has a bit of clearance.

I'm not sure your last sentence translated cleanly, but I get the jist of it, thanks.

SR

25 minutes ago, ScottR said:

I'm not sure your last sentence translated cleanly,

"is awakening" or "awakes", choosing between the two left one verb behind. I should stop editing while I type.

Would "raise" have been a better choice?

Edited by Bizman62

40 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

"is awakening" or "awakes", choosing between the two left one verb behind. I should stop editing while I type.

Would "raise" have been a better choice?

"Your sanding awakens envy" is more structurally sound, but the more common way of saying that is your sanding makes me envious....assuming that was what you meant..

SR

I agree, there's much going on there. Then again, mandolins have both a scroll and f-holes and they still look nice.

If we omit the figuration of the wood, an f-hole would add symmetry to the lower bout of the body. If you think that there's no counterpart for the scroll, think again: The left hand works on the lower side and is roughly of the same size at least as complex in form. Then again, the f-hole would be partially hidden by the right arm and hand.

Make a few shapes out of black paper, apply moisture for popping the figure and take some photos for evaluation.

• Like 1

It appears you guys are seeing the same thing I am, Right now the one remaining argument in my mind for a small F-hole is that it would balance the recess for the 5 way blade switch. Well that and its ancestry. This takes a lot of its design features from an electric mandolin I did a while back.....which took a lot of its from an F5 mandolin. And in my humble opinion, an F5 mando is in the upper echelons of cool with regards to the appearance of stringed instruments.

SR

• Like 1

I had company last weekend, and got nothing done here. I was able to steal an hour here and there though, and have gotten this thing to its final shape and sanded to 400. It is ready to start the dye regimen and to fill the voids in the burl. So finishing officially begins tomorrow!

DSC02525 (2).JPGDSC02527 (3).JPGDSC02529 (2).JPGDSC02530 (2).JPGDSC02532 (2).JPGDSC02533.JPG

SR

• Like 3