Epiphone Special Repaint

On 7/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, oscarvan said:

Yes, as much as we like to see people succeed we also cherish the moments where we can learn from other's mistakes.... I know, It's a dog eat dog world out there....

Awesome I’ll post the progress for sure. Once I return from my vacation I’ll begin. 

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so I finally started today. I took off the stickers and the awful picture. With a combination of goo gone and nail polish remover it seemed to of done the trick. 

The neck is off as well as the hardware. My question is with reference to the picks ups. Am I to snip the wires from the pickups or from the other side? I'm assuming I also snip them as close as possible? 

I've attached pictures. I appreciate the feedback!

IMG_4545.jpg

IMG_4544.jpg

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

looks cool.  I would assume you'd want to use these pickups again so you snip them at the controls.  It is very hard to put new wires on pickups.  so take a pic with your camera first and then snip them - you may have to add wire to them when you put them back depeding on your length.

8 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

looks cool.  I would assume you'd want to use these pickups again so you snip them at the controls.  It is very hard to put new wires on pickups.  so take a pic with your camera first and then snip them - you may have to add wire to them when you put them back depeding on your length.

I should of added I want to upgrade the pickups. Sorry I should of said that before. 

So then I'd imagine it doesn't matter as these are going bye bye?

Edited by Frankdemariany

well... either way you might as well preserve the epiphones.  later on, if you decide to sell this guitar you can always load em up, or you can hang on to them for when you come across a guitar w/o pickups, or use them for dummy coils... be a shame to waste them. 

That's already looking much, much better! A black touch up crayon would do a decent job for gigging purposes.

@mistermikev is right about the pickups, you never know if they were needed for something at a later stage. Just leave a millimeter of the plastic shield of each wire at the controls where you snip them to help installing new ones - unless you end up using a different wiring, that is! 

7 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That's already looking much, much better! A black touch up crayon would do a decent job for gigging purposes.

@mistermikev is right about the pickups, you never know if they were needed for something at a later stage. Just leave a millimeter of the plastic shield of each wire at the controls where you snip them to help installing new ones - unless you end up using a different wiring, that is! 

Thank you. Next step is to sand it and to get it ready for the repaint. 

So leave a millimeter of the plastic shield that’s connecting the wire? The old wire (attaches to these pick ups) will just stay there and a new set of picks ups would come with new wiring?

12 minutes ago, Frankdemariany said:

So leave a millimeter of the plastic shield that’s connecting the wire? The old wire (attaches to these pick ups) will just stay there and a new set of picks ups would come with new wiring?

just the pickup wires.  he's saying to cut them back 1/2" from where they connect so that you'll leave enough of the wire connected to the original connection that you can see the color of the original wire where it connects. 

yes, new pickups will have new pickup wires. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Thank you!

you mean tuning knobs themselves... or the machines+knobs.  knobs themselves - evilbay.  you can get tuners there too.  grizzly has some great deals on some gotoh but I think they are all gold. 

afa pickguard... wd will make one to your specs using any material you like but it's spendy.  if you can find a pickguard you like... you could just use carpet tape. 

just a thought.

26 minutes ago, Frankdemariany said:

I guess both the tuning knobs and tuning machines...lol. I've heard guitar fetish is not bad and I will check out these other places for sure. 

SO I can find one I like (even if your supposed to drill it in) and get duck brand carpet tape? Never though about that! 

I wouldn't get the duct brand because A it will likely keep paint with it in coming off and B it's very thick.  I would just use the 3m carpet tape - it's very thin and will stick very well... less likely to take paint with it when coming off altho still a risk.

afa guitar fetish... haven't tried their tuners but if you are looking for less expensive options that are solid the wilkinson locking are pretty decent and in the under $30 range.  they use them on reverend guitars so... no one complains.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mistermikev said:

I wouldn't get the duct brand because A it will likely keep paint with it in coming off and B it's very thick.  I would just use the 3m carpet tape - it's very thin and will stick very well... less likely to take paint with it when coming off altho still a risk.

afa guitar fetish... haven't tried their tuners but if you are looking for less expensive options that are solid the wilkinson locking are pretty decent and in the under $30 range.  they use them on reverend guitars so... no one complains.

Great thanks! 

7 hours ago, Frankdemariany said:

Exactly. Leave as much wire as you can in the pickup since it's very tricky to replace. cut.thumb.JPG.10ba5bb3c3f53ae3a8c3d76a7e7a616d.JPG

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Exactly. Leave as much wire as you can in the pickup since it's very tricky to replace. cut.thumb.JPG.10ba5bb3c3f53ae3a8c3d76a7e7a616d.JPG

Awesome thank you for the visual. That helps a ton. I didn't think about the pick up switch or the jack input. What would I need to do with those? I'm assuming the pick up switch is what's pictured here?

Any suggestions for the headstock? Is is worth trying to get the Epophone off? I've seen some use a Gibson decal but I wasn't sure. I was just thinking out loud. 

Thanks! 

F4DF1315-BB1E-46D3-9BF1-2A32CA9E8ABA.thumb.jpeg.6af897a5dbd022e030d126c8fbe717f4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Frankdemariany said:

Awesome thank you for the visual. That helps a ton. I didn't think about the pick up switch or the jack input. What would I need to do with those? I'm assuming the pick up switch is what's pictured here?

Any suggestions for the headstock? Is is worth trying to get the Epophone off? I've seen some use a Gibson decal but I wasn't sure. I was just thinking out loud. 

Thanks! 

F4DF1315-BB1E-46D3-9BF1-2A32CA9E8ABA.thumb.jpeg.6af897a5dbd022e030d126c8fbe717f4.jpeg

since you have to pull out the switch... you need to cut both pickups and the live to the switch... then reconnect them exactly as they were later.  the jack should stay with the pots and wired up. 

afa headstock... IMO you should make it yours... put something you like on it.  you could paint it black, and do some waterslide decal on it.  print it out on an inkjet or laser printer as just an outline of the letters, then paint the inside of the letters with a gold paint pen.  then stick it on and clear over it.  or do deco foil in chrome or gold. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frankdemariany said:

I'm with @mistermikev here. It's an Epiphone so let it be proud being an Epiphone. That doesn't mean you should try to save the original at all expenses. If it goes off when you're sanding the headstock, so be it. A replacement decal can then be either similar to the original or your very own one. Rebranding it to a known brand is cheating in my books. One way to make it your own and still respect the origins is to use the Epiphanatic font.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I'm with @mistermikev here. It's an Epiphone so let it be proud being an Epiphone. That doesn't mean you should try to save the original at all expenses. If it goes off when you're sanding the headstock, so be it. A replacement decal can then be either similar to the original or your very own one. Rebranding it to a known brand is cheating in my books. One way to make it your own and still respect the origins is to use the Epiphanatic font.

Thank you both for the comments. 

Yes, I was thinking something representing the family as this is actually a "family" project and my oldest daughter has become super engaged with it. 

When sanding...I am also sanding the front side as well with the Epiphone on it?