tune-o-matics

okay, this is something that's been bugging me for a while, and i wanted to know if anyone else has had similar problems and if they've found any other way to remedy the situation.

the issue:

tune-o-matic bridges have been too "sharp" and they "cut" the strings every now and then. too many times have i been in the middle of a show and my guitarist has to either get his other LP out or re-string the one he just broke because the other one had the same problem earlier. at first i thought it was just his own fault, the exact same guitar, set-up as close as identical, x-light gauge strings. but then this happened on another LP (one from my little bro's band) and then on an SG w/ the heaviest freaking gauge strings i have seen in my life.

has anyone else had a problem with this?

my solve for it was to take a 120-150 grit sand paper on the back edge (dull side) of a knife and "grind" down the inside of the bridge. it needed to be re-set up afterwards, of course, but the problem went away by about 90%.

has anyone else who has had this problem tried anything else that worked, or do you just have an idea how to fix this?

I had this same problem on a epi les paul before. I figured it was just cheap parts casting but I guess I'm not the only one. I just used a steel file and lightly filed where the strings break over the saddle. It cleared up my problem almost completely. I also went up one gauge of strings, don't know if that helped also.

they do sell the saddles with grooves already cut in them, y they dont put them on in the first place is beyond me prolly just another way for them to get more money. i have a gibson nashville tom and the strings i play are startin to cut a groove in the saddles on there own and i dont brake that many strings

MzI