painting pick-guards?

I want to put a pattern on my white tele pickboard. Specifically this type of pattern:

cherry-blossom-3-rachel-dutton.jpg

I'm not confident that my free-hand painting skills are good enough to do it justice, or how to paint onto plastic like that?

Does anyone have a creative suggestion or an alternative? I was wondering about finding something with said pattern (a table mat?) and cutting it to shape, but I can't think of what.

Cheers!

Depending on your picking the paint on the pickguard may or may not last very long.

The optimal solution would be to paint or print the image on a thin white plastic and attach a clear layer on top of it. However that may not be doable without special machinery and deep knowledge about colours that become part of the plastic to prevent splitting.

A simple yet relatively stable solution would be to make a clear pickguard, paint or print the image mirrored on the underside and cover it with a suitable background paint like the white you're now having. Or, if you find a piece of wallpaper, table mat, cloth with an image you like, simply laminate it to the underside of a clear pickguard.

On 6/29/2019 at 5:05 PM, curtisa said:

What about taking the pickguard to a signwriting firm who has access to a UV printer and getting them to print the design direct to the pickguard?

17 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Depending on your picking the paint on the pickguard may or may not last very long.

The optimal solution would be to paint or print the image on a thin white plastic and attach a clear layer on top of it. However that may not be doable without special machinery and deep knowledge about colours that become part of the plastic to prevent splitting.

A simple yet relatively stable solution would be to make a clear pickguard, paint or print the image mirrored on the underside and cover it with a suitable background paint like the white you're now having. Or, if you find a piece of wallpaper, table mat, cloth with an image you like, simply laminate it to the underside of a clear pickguard.

You two each have half the solution......maybe even the whole thing. I happen to be in the graphics industry, and we have a flatbed UV printer. That very image can be printed subsurface on a piece of clear polycarbonate, with a layer of white behind it, and the printed part could then be routed t to the pickguard shape. We do it all the time......perhaps not pickguards.

SR

• Like 1

And if that is economically prohibitive I would use a clear pick guard and paint the image on the BACK of it, probably with acrylic, and then cover it with clear lacquer..... against the natural top that could look quite spectacular.