Polyurethane and an Unbound Neck

Hey all, so I was at the hardware store the other day and while looking at wood finishes I decided to just use satin ploy for the neck rather than some exotic finish I wouldn't be certain would work. So here's the problem, I have an unbound neck, (Mahogany) so I have (engineered admittedly) rosewood from the fret board hanging off the side. Will the ploy affect the two woods differently, especially where they are glued?

Not so you'd notice...at least it's not likely. The qualifier is just in case you've got some exotic poly that I've never heard of. Unless your rosewood is very oily, like cocobolo, the odds are very good that you will see no difference at all from one wood to another. Think about it. That sort of thing is done all the time. Many if not most bodies are at least two different kinds of wood and they get finished with poly all the time.

SR

• Like 1

Both rosewood and mahogany have open grain pours so you will want to use a grain filler or sanding sealer before poly, in the case of sealer the poly will never go inside the grain so I can't see how (tonally) it would matter. If it was me, I would tape off the top of the fretboard and seal and poly over the side of the fretboard when you coat the neck, otherwise you'll end up with a ridge where the finish finishes

• Like 1