Spaces in Glue

Hey all, so I finally glued the neck for the guitar last night and when I checked it this morning I noticed there were little spaces with no glue between the neck and body. I put plenty of glue in last night, having to pick up quite a bit with a damp paper towel. Anyway I'm worried those little spaces between glue are a sign of a larger problem with the gluing job I did. Are they?

It looks like a tight fit at the bottom but not a tight fit at the top which would mean either the tenon or the walls of the neck pocket are not perfectly square. In an ideal world you would have a snug fit all over as the glue is not there to fill gaps (unless you use a gap filling glue). But how strong is the joint? if you apply pressure to the back of the neck, does it move at all? If it doesn't then I would not worry too much - I've got away with worse neck joints than that on my first couple of builds. 

If the body was not already finished, I would jam a bit of filler in there and finish over the top of it, but anything you do with the body already finished will be visible. Walk away and call it done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

But how strong is the joint?

I haven't checked yet. The Titebond needs at least 24 hours for stressed joints to cure, and with that SG neckdive you know I'm gonna keep it on for that long😂. It would make sense for the pocket to be slightly larger at the top since the neck slides in. That said, It's tight enough to be tricky to get the neck in, has to be absolutely straight. Anyway I'll be able to check the strength of the joint late tonight! I might force some more glue in those spaces later but hopefully that'll just be cosmetic

To me it looks fine, after all the glue lines are longer than the gap lines. The most important place to have a perfect glue joint is the bottom where you have the largest gluing surface. Just think about the scarf joint in the upper neck, there's no side support yet it stands the same string tension as the rest of the guitar.

Use a syringe or whatever you can to drive some glue to fill the gaps and call it done.

• Like 1