Build #3 - Maestro

2 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

as always, nice design.  looking fwd to seeing this come alive.

so three humbuckers... interested in what you plans for electronics are.  lots of coils there... lots of possibilities.  One that immediately comes to mind is the newer strat 6 way lever and simply sending the series link to ground for parallel combos on pos 2/4/6 with six being the optimal 'tele' mode with neck combined with bridge.  just a thought... what are your plans?

I'm thinking of using Pete Townshend's idea. He used two three way switches. One for the minibuckers and one for the humbucker to do one side or the other or full.  I probably won't use two three way switches but those combinations seem pretty appealing from what I've seen and heard.  

I actually got a 10 position switch on my Mako that does exactly what your talking about.  Really fun setup.  Not fun to wire up lol.    

How do you like your 4 pickup guitar?  Any cool combinations with that stand out.

13 minutes ago, ZekeB said:

I'm thinking of using Pete Townshend's idea. He used two three way switches. One for the minibuckers and one for the humbucker to do one side or the other or full.  I probably won't use two three way switches but those combinations seem pretty appealing from what I've seen and heard.  

I actually got a 10 position switch on my Mako that does exactly what your talking about.  Really fun setup.  Not fun to wire up lol.    

How do you like your 4 pickup guitar?  Any cool combinations with that stand out.

right on... that's certainly an interesting choice.  should be cool. 

love my 4 pickup setup.  I use the 6 position a lot when playing heavy stuff (just std two humbuckers in series) and the 3 position a lot for cleans (inside vs outside in parallel) the most.  Think I will use that sm wiring in upcoming tele build.  Good trick to have in the bag anyway.

10 position... so a 1p10t then?  i must have missed the details on that in your thread.  sounds like a fun variation.  Will have to go look that up. 

So I've figured out the wiring theme I'm going for.  It will have 4 knobs,  two tones and two volumes.  The tones will actually have dual concentric pots one for treble and bass.  There will be  a master volume and one for just the neck and bridge.  It will have a few other items but here's the basic positions. 

Still hunting for the right pickups.  Oh and I'm about ready for the CAD part.  I think my concept is getting closer.  Not sure If I have enough meat to make the carve I want.  May just do flat top for once.  Added an inlay to fit the body at the headstock.  The small loop there will have a slight carve to it as well.  Starting to feel like a complete idea.

image.png.14c0adb2d1d79e9d1f0b9c335c47f590.png

image.thumb.png.61266f7d7d492fe450192f7dd4209491.png

image.thumb.png.81d1ad42f7ec31dc8bebb0dbad772524.png

• Like 1

Oh my god would you look at that. I've been so consumed with work and my build that I haven't ventured outside to see whats going on. This is incredible.

My favorite part is the purfling ending inside the bottom horn. It's similar to the F-hole in that it takes something traditional and adds a modern edge to it. Also, I agree with @ScottR, the stealth look is awesome.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So its been a while.  Moving, job, and everything else but I've got a new workshop and ready to continue my new instrument here.  I've been doing some homework and have decided on a few changes and goals.  I'm going to be using 2 klein mini-humbuckers.  I have the timber for two options I'm excited about.  a Pau Ferro combination or a purpleheart combination.  What you guys think? Good to be back!

Maestro Pau Ferro.PNG

Maestro Purpleheart.PNG

• Like 3

This forum is way too complicated to use for my skill level. I already typed a reply but apparently did not submit it! This has happened before so I know I have no hope...

Anyhow...

Can't you make both as siblings?

To me the Pau Ferro one looks like a sophisticated aristocrat, discreet in his voicing even when amplified through the mini humbuckers.

The Purpleheart would be his rebellious sister, raging and screaming her PMS through a pair of P90's. I wonder if making the farthest wedge on the pickguard out of Purpleheart would be too much?

3 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

This forum is way too complicated to use for my skill level. I already typed a reply but apparently did not submit it! This has happened before so I know I have no hope...

Anyhow...

Can't you make both as siblings?

To me the Pau Ferro one looks like a sophisticated aristocrat, discreet in his voicing even when amplified through the mini humbuckers.

The Purpleheart would be his rebellious sister, raging and screaming her PMS through a pair of P90's. I wonder if making the farthest wedge on the pickguard out of Purpleheart would be too much?

Ah I really like that idea.  I think that captures their theme really well. 

Man, I'm pretty sure ive sanded stone softer than ziricote.  I feel like I'm sanding concrete.

I'm with Andy, all three look great!

On 2/23/2020 at 7:38 AM, ZekeB said:

Man, I'm pretty sure ive sanded stone softer than ziricote. 

:D

You should get some bubinga for a comparison test. I've sanded harder woods, but no woods that are harder to sand. Those words apply to ziricote too.

Plus ziricote is possessed by demons.

SR

14 hours ago, ZekeB said:

I think I remember seeing a thread about being careful not to make ziricote too dark.  I cant seem to remember where that post is.  Does anyone have any input on that?  Thanks guys

Some oil finishes, like Danish oil soak into ziricote and darken everything, hiding most of the cool stuff going on. @KempGuitars reports good results with Tru-oil. Bottom line is test on scrap first.

SR

• Thanks 1