Having a go at my own build series

WOW! You've tremendously improved the sound quality there!  I'm not saying it's perfect but it's highly usable. Do you have some automatic recording level going on? That would explain why the bangs and scratches still are at the same level with your speech.

Anyhow, the tool and workbench noise now is at an acceptable level to allow concentrating on what you're saying. What I really like is that you articulate clearly and even more important, you speak slowly enough even for us non-English speakers. Jaymes at Cwimson Guitaws is a good example of the opposite awticuwation...

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, I’m got a voice recorder and lapel mic thanks to @Urumiko and used that audio over the footage. The recorder isn’t doing any auto levelling but it’s possible that the software is. Will examine further during the next lot of editing. Yes speaking slowly, probably due to 10 years of being a software engineer talking to people in marketing 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Yes speaking slowly, probably due to 10 years of being a software engineer talking to people in marketing 

Bwahahaha!!! Anyhow, that makes you easy to follow. Supposedly that's the nicest thing said about the marketing people.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Urumiko said:

Looking good mate. I'm jealous of your multicam setup.
You already have more subs than me... damn you 😨

It's only an iPhone and a gopro! Something to note though, double the cameras is not double the editing, it's more like 4 times the editing. Yeah my body routing video got a bit of traction. I had something like 15 new subs after I uploaded that one. There is so much useful information in analytics, the audience drop off screen is such a useful tool. it essentially tells you what not to do again and what to do more of, if you're goal is a larger audience anyway.

I can't see that I'll be keeping up 3 videos a week, maybe 1 tops, it's just too much work. I mean I could have built a guitar in that time :D 

that clip of the dog at the front is a really nice touch.  are you doing that on every video?  not sure if I missed it but def noticed it this time. 

it's fun to see how differently we all approach things.  one the ONE angled headstock I've done... I opted to make the overlay but into the nut so that it would hold it in tight.  I hate how gibson nuts are only held on one side.  that said... doing it that way had it's own list of challenges.

Think I'm seeing an overall improvement in video quality, did you do something there?

Think I might try to do a couple videos on my next build (you're inspirational) mostly because I think it would be interesting to ask folks to point out things I do that might be dangerous!  Might learn something watching myself.

anywho, nice work. 

24 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

that clip of the dog at the front is a really nice touch.  are you doing that on every video?  not sure if I missed it but def noticed it this time. 

it's fun to see how differently we all approach things.  one the ONE angled headstock I've done... I opted to make the overlay but into the nut so that it would hold it in tight.  I hate how gibson nuts are only held on one side.  that said... doing it that way had it's own list of challenges.

Think I'm seeing an overall improvement in video quality, did you do something there?

Think I might try to do a couple videos on my next build (you're inspirational) mostly because I think it would be interesting to ask folks to point out things I do that might be dangerous!  Might learn something watching myself.

anywho, nice work. 

He happened to come in looking for trouble while I was filming so I got a shot of him, not going out of my way to include him but he does the odd photobomb because he's a tart and wants attention.

Only difference between this vid and previous ones is the use of a separate voice recorder and lapel mic which has improved audio quality and more consistent levels. I may also be getting slightly better at editing the clips as I progress through the build. I hadn't done any video editing since 2013, so it's gradually coming back.

I'm enjoying the videos process - essentially just documenting what I'm doing out loud while building instead of writing a blog post after each garage session, it also saves me going inside and talking at the Mrs about guitars which she is no doubt pleased about.

Would be cool if you did some vids, especially on your body radius routing as that's not a common process, there must be a calling for info on your crazy wiring too.  I guess you're already setup with some gear for your demo videos 

1 minute ago, ADFinlayson said:

He happened to come in looking for trouble while I was filming so I got a shot of him, not going out of my way to include him but he does the odd photobomb because he's a tart and wants attention.

Only difference between this vid and previous ones is the use of a separate voice recorder and lapel mic which has improved audio quality and more consistent levels. I may also be getting slightly better at editing the clips as I progress through the build. I hadn't done any video editing since 2013, so it's gradually coming back.

I'm enjoying the videos process - essentially just documenting what I'm doing out loud while building instead of writing a blog post after each garage session, it also saves me going inside and talking at the Mrs about guitars which she is no doubt pleased about.

Would be cool if you did some vids, especially on your body radius routing as that's not a common process, there must be a calling for info on your crazy wiring too.  I guess you're already setup with some gear for your demo videos 

honestly... the dog would make a great intro for a series.

afa quality -well yer doin' something right!

I hear ya on the wife... mine doesn't have much of an appreciate for that either!

will have to do up a video when it gets cooler... right now it's reg 120degrees in my garage and I need to get in/out as fast as possible!

afa wiring... what would you want to see if I did that?  I dunno, I guess from my perspective everything is there in the wiring diagram.  after that it's just "paint by numbers".  I'd love to show some of that but just am not sure what would be of interest to others. 

anywho, this is about you not me.  nice work on the video... you are def getting better at it - cudos.

24 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

afa wiring... what would you want to see if I did that?  I dunno, I guess from my perspective everything is there in the wiring diagram.  after that it's just "paint by numbers".  I'd love to show some of that but just am not sure what would be of interest to others. 

Yepp, it'd be pretty much similar to the wiring diagram.

However, there's quite a lot you could do to improve a simple drawing:

• tell about the components you're using, why you chose those instead of equivalents etc.
  • tell what that very setup does
  • tell what each wire going to each lug does for the setup, like "this comes from the bridge pup and goes to the pull/push pot for single mode, that's why I solder it to the center lug. The signal continues from the left lug to..."
  • tell why you chose that very wiring
  • you see what I mean

Back to the original topic: That's exactly what's happening in Sir Ash's videos. Anyone can buy a template and route along it with a bearing cutter. Telling what, why, where, to whom is the story that captures, the tools and making are just decoration.

Edited by Bizman62
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

Yepp, it'd be pretty much similar to the wiring diagram.

However, there's quite a lot you could do to improve a simple drawing:

• tell about the components you're using, why you chose those instead of equivalents etc.
  • tell what that very setup does
  • tell what each wire going to each lug does for the setup, like "this comes from the bridge pup and goes to the pull/push pot for single mode, that's why I solder it to the center lug. The signal continues from the left lug to..."
  • tell why you chose that very wiring
  • you see what I mean

Back to the original topic: That's exactly what's happening in Sir Ash's videos. Anyone can buy a template and route along it with a bearing cutter. Telling what, why, where, to whom is the story that captures, the tools and making are just decoration.

well... I HOPE I've covered the "what does it do" in my demo... but def some stuff to dig into there.  I'll have to think on that some more... it would be pretty cool to see a time lapse of wiring start to finish.  I guess the problem for me is my incredibly short attention span!  I bore the hell out of me!

sorry for the derail AD.  Back to your awesomeness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 5:53 AM, ADFinlayson said:

Yes speaking slowly, probably due to 10 years of being a software engineer talking to people in marketing 

Gah, I work in marketing! Though I'm the techiest of the designers and tend to lose people when I talk.
Zero criticisms for the vids, it's awesome that you are doing them and can't even imagine doing that as well as building. I'll be emulating you by speaking in an english accent while building. (to be fair, this happens anyways as I grew up on Python) 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, komodo said:

Gah, I work in marketing! Though I'm the techiest of the designers and tend to lose people when I talk.
Zero criticisms for the vids, it's awesome that you are doing them and can't even imagine doing that as well as building. I'll be emulating you by speaking in an english accent while building. (to be fair, this happens anyways as I grew up on Python) 

hehe well you said you're a designer, incidentally I started life as a graphic designer, then went on to front end dev in a marketing agency, now my role is a lot more codey. But I was specifically referring to marketing managers, account managers etc :P 

I will do my best to speak the Queens' in as articulate fashion as possible. 

4 minutes ago, komodo said:

My coding is limited to After Effects expressions, and I copy and paste those. But I do tell a lot of front end devs what to do Lol.

Funny you say that, I was playing with after effects last night for the first time in about 5 years, playing with glitch to come up with a little intro/ident thing. I also copied some expressions :D 

• Like 1

I must say the little logo at the lower right corner added some professional looks! Nice little detail there.

Did you by chance use the clamp as an end barrier for the router? At least it looked like you did but you didn't mention it. Other than that your way of explaining what you're doing is very nice. Actually, I feel like having learned something there!

33 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

I must say the little logo at the lower right corner added some professional looks! Nice little detail there.

Did you by chance use the clamp as an end barrier for the router? At least it looked like you did but you didn't mention it. Other than that your way of explaining what you're doing is very nice. Actually, I feel like having learned something there!

Well observed! Yes I used it to hold the board still and as a stopper for the router, I also had a clamp and a block at the other end to stop the headstock moving around as I don't have any dogs in that bench. Well that's good, it's about time I taught you something instead of the other way round :P

• 2 weeks later...